Nov. 11th, 1964
Freeport, Illinois, USA
Calista Flockhart's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Calista Kay Flockhart (born November 11, 1964) is an American actress, known for playing the title role in the Fox television comedy-drama series Ally McBeal and for playing Kitty Walker McCallister on the ABC drama, Brothers & Sisters. Throughout her career she has received a Golden Globe Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award and three Emmy Award nominations.
Born in Freeport, Illinois, the daughter of Kay, a teacher of English, and Ronald Flockhart, an executive for Kraft Foods. Her parents are retired and live in Morristown, Tennessee. She has one older brother, Gary. Her mother, Kay Calista, reversed her own first and middle names in naming her Calista Kay. Calista also had a great-grandmother named "Calista".
Flockhart attended Shawnee High School in Medford Township, New Jersey. Following her graduation in 1983, Flockhart attended the Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey. While there, she attended a specialized and competitive class, lasting from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM. In her sophomore year at Rutgers, Flockhart met aspiring actress 'Jane Krakowski', the best friend of her roommate. Later they both would work together on Ally McBeal.
Flockhart debuted on Broadway in 1994, as Laura in The Glass Menagerie. Actress 'Julie Harris' felt Flockhart should be hired without further auditions, claiming that she seemed ideal for the part. Flockhart received a Clarence Derwent Award for her performance. In 1995, Flockhart became acquainted with actors such as 'Dianne Wiest' and' Faye Dunaway' when she appeared in the movie Drunks. Later that year, Flockhart starred in Jane Doe as a drug addict. In 1996, Flockhart appeared as the daughter of Dianne Wiest and Gene Hackman's characters in The Birdcage. Throughout that year, she continued to work on Broadway, playing the role of Natasha in Anton Chekhov's Three Sisters.
Flockhart has established herself in New York, Chicago, and elsewhere with an impressive stage and theater repertoire. She worked in the off-Broadway productions of "The Loop", "All for One", "Sophistry", "Wrong Turn at Lungfish", "Beside Herself" and "Bovver Boys". She also starred in non-NYC productions, such as "The Three Sisters" in Chicago, and "Our Town" and "Death Takes a Holiday" at the Williamstown Theater Festival.
She was offered the role of Susan Mayer on Desperate Housewives, but declined. The role went to 'Teri Hatcher'. Flockhart's last appearance on television was as Kitty Walker, opposite 'Sally Field', 'Rachel Griffiths' and 'Matthew Rhys', in the ABC prime time series Brothers & Sisters, which premiered in September 2006 in the time slot after Desperate Housewives. The show was cancelled in May 2011 after running for five years. Flockhart's character was significant throughout the series' first four years, but her appearances were reduced for the 2010–2011 season, coinciding with the departure of TV husband 'Rob Lowe'.
Flockhart has been in a relationship with actor 'Harrison Ford' since their meeting at the Golden Globe Awards on January 20, 2002. They became engaged on Valentine's Day in 2009, and were married (June 15, 2010), in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The ceremony was presided over by Governor Bill Richardson and New Mexico Supreme Court Chief Justice Charles W. Daniels. Flockhart and Ford are raising a son, Liam, whom Flockhart adopted as an infant (January 11, 2001).
As of 2008, Flockhart is the national spokesperson for Peace Over Violence.
- She is the national spokesperson for the Los Angeles Commission on Assaults Against Women and was presented with a Humanitarian Award by them on October 21, 2005.
- Best known for her role in _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv)
- Attended the 18th Annual Producers Guild Awards at the Century Plaza Hotel in Century City, California, USA, with actor 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) on January 20, 2007.
- Graduated from Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ in 1988, with a BFA in theatre
- (1998) One of People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People
- 13 December 2000 - Calista collapsed on the set of her TV show, __"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv). It was announced she suffered from dehydration and exhaustion and had nothing to with her thinness, that many have attributed to bulemia.
- (1983) Graduated Shawnee High School in Medford, NJ. While there she was a cheerleader and was active in the student council.
- Had a dog named Webster. He was her best friend until he died.