May. 22nd, 1967
New York City, New York, USA
5' 10 1/2"
Brooke Smith's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Interstellar
2013 - Labor Day
2011 - A Little Help
2005 - In Her Shoes
2004 - Melinda and Melinda
2002 - Bad Company
2001 - The Man Who Wasn't There
2001 - Series 7: The Contenders
1999 - Random Hearts
1996 - Kansas City
1996 - Trees Lounge
1994 - Vanya on 42nd Street
1993 - Mr. Wonderful
1993 - The Night We Never Met
1993 - The Pickle
1991 - The Silence of the Lambs
1988 - The Moderns
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Kate Switzer
Lois - Mooney's Sister
Brooke Smith grew up in New York in the shadow of show business owing to the fact that she is the daughter of powerful publicist Lois Smith (II). After studying at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, her "first big thing" was playing Catherine Martin, the abducted young girl in The Silence of the Lambs (1991). She went on to play Sonya in Louis Malle's Vanya on 42nd Street (1994) and Dawn in Daniel Minahan's brutal sendup of reality television Series 7: The Contenders (2001). Whether she is humming a Tom Petty tune, as her character did in "Lambs," or screaming for a bean dip, as her pregnant character does in "Series 7," Smith is known for giving brooding, detailed performances. In addition to stage work, her other interests include filmmaking (she has directed a short film and a feature-length documentary), journalism (she has published interviews with actors Steve Buscemi, Ed Harris (I), and Fred Ward (I)), and travel (she has traveled extensively, especially to Africa).
- She attended Tappan Zee High School.
- Was in labor with her daughter Fanny for 78 hours and refused an epidural.
- Was originally cast as Andrea Smithson for the ABC series _"Dirty Sexy Money" (2007)_ (qv) in its pilot episode but was replaced by 'Sheryl Lee' (qv).
- Shared an apartment with 'Jeff Buckley (I)' (qv) before the recording of his album "Grace".
- With husband 'Steven Lubensky' (qv) (35 years old), has a daughter, Fanny (4 years old). (2007).
- Gained 25 pounds for her role as "roomy" Catharine Martin in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv).
- She adopted a baby girl from Ethiopia named Lucy Dinknesh Lubensky.
- Mother is retired PR powerhouse 'Lois Smith (II)' (qv), whose clients have included 'Robert Redford (I)' (qv). Father is publisher Gene Smith.