May. 31st, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Brooke Shields' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - The Hot Flashes
2011 - Chalet Girl
2010 - Teenage Paparazzo
2010 - The Other Guys
2010 - Furry Vengeance
2009 - Hannah Montana: The Movie
2008 - The Midnight Meat Train
2005 - Bob the Butler
2004 - Mayor of the Sunset Strip
2004 - The Easter Egg Adventure
1999 - The Bachelor
1996 - Freeway
1993 - Freaked
1984 - The Muppets Take Manhattan
1981 - Endless Love
1980 - The Blue Lagoon
1979 - Tilt
1979 - Wanda Nevada
1979 - Just You and Me, Kid
1978 - King of the Gypsies
1978 - Pretty Baby
1976 - Communion
Guest TV Roles[none found]
"Want to know what gets between me and my Calvins? Nothing". If you hadn't heard of Brooke Shields before, this tag line from her 'Calvin Klein' Jeans ad had to grab your attention.
Not that she hadn't had a previous noteworthy resume. She was born in New York City in 1965 and, at age 12, she starred as a child prostitute in Pretty Baby (1978). Could this movie even be made today? It was considered risky and controversial in 1978. It was followed by another hit, The Blue Lagoon (1980).
Brooke has proved herself to be so much more than her early films. Her broad range of work as an adult would be quite an achievement for anyone, especially given how difficult transitioning from child actor to adult often is.
She has never stopped working, whether it be a 'Bob Hope' Christmas special, her own sitcom Suddenly Susan (1996) or as an author. She also managed to work on a degree from Princeton University. She has received a number of awards during her career, most notably The People's Choice award for 1981 through 1984 in the category of Favorite Young Performer. In 1997, she was honored again with The People's Choice award for Favorite Female Performer in a New Television Series in 1997 for her work in Suddenly Susan (1996).
In her personal life, she was married in 1997 to tennis player 'Andre Agassi' and was devastated when they divorced two years later. She married for the second time in 2001 to 'Chris Henchy'. She has been open about using fertility treatments to become pregnant with their daughter, Rowan, born in 2003.
When suffering debilitating depression after the birth of her daughter, she made the decision to put her feelings down on paper. Her book, "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression", takes a hard, honest look at what she and many other women experience after childbirth.
She still lives in New York, and is still sought after for work in movies, television, and on stage. Pretty nice list of achievements for the once 'Calvin Klein' jeans girl.
- Did a screen test for the role of Princess Leia Organa in _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv).
- Appointed Honorary Ambassador of Peace for the Harvey Ball Foundation along with 'Jackie Chan (I)' (qv), 'Jerry Lewis (I)' (qv), 'A.V.T. Shankardass' (qv), 'Prince Albert of Monaco' (qv), 'Jack Nicklaus' (qv), 'Greg Norman' (qv), 'Phil Collins (I)' (qv), 'Jimmy Buffett' (qv), 'Dale Earnhardt Jr.' (qv), 'Darrell Waltrip' (qv), 'Heather Mills (II)' (qv), 'Yoko Ono (I)' (qv), 'Patch Adams' (qv), 'Sergei Khrushchev' (qv) and 'Winnie Mandela' (qv).
- Since May of 1977, the longest consecutive period of time that has passed without her appearing on the cover of a US or international magazine is seven months.
- Chosen as one of the 100 most beautiful people in the world by People Magazine. 
- For her role in _The Blue Lagoon (1980)_ (qv), Shields became the first ever "Winner" of a Worst Actress RAZZIE Award. She went on to "win" several more RAZZIES, and in 2000 was nominated as Worst Actress of the Century.
- Listed as one of twelve "Promising New Actors of 1978" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 30.
- Following a much publicized dispute with 'Tom Cruise' (qv) over her use of psychiatric medicine to overcome depression, Cruise came to her home in 2006 and personally apologized to her for his criticism. Touched by the gesture, she accepted his apology.
- Cousin of 'Alessandro Lecquio' (qv).