May. 31st, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Brooke Shields' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
"Want to know what gets between me and my Calvins? Nothing". If you hadn't heard of Brooke Shields before, this tag line from her 'Calvin Klein' Jeans ad had to grab your attention.
Not that she hadn't had a previous noteworthy resume. She was born in New York City in 1965 and, at age 12, she starred as a child prostitute in Pretty Baby (1978). Could this movie even be made today? It was considered risky and controversial in 1978. It was followed by another hit, The Blue Lagoon (1980).
Brooke has proved herself to be so much more than her early films. Her broad range of work as an adult would be quite an achievement for anyone, especially given how difficult transitioning from child actor to adult often is.
She has never stopped working, whether it be a 'Bob Hope' Christmas special, her own sitcom Suddenly Susan (1996) or as an author. She also managed to work on a degree from Princeton University. She has received a number of awards during her career, most notably The People's Choice award for 1981 through 1984 in the category of Favorite Young Performer. In 1997, she was honored again with The People's Choice award for Favorite Female Performer in a New Television Series in 1997 for her work in Suddenly Susan (1996).
In her personal life, she was married in 1997 to tennis player 'Andre Agassi' and was devastated when they divorced two years later. She married for the second time in 2001 to 'Chris Henchy'. She has been open about using fertility treatments to become pregnant with their daughter, Rowan, born in 2003.
When suffering debilitating depression after the birth of her daughter, she made the decision to put her feelings down on paper. Her book, "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression", takes a hard, honest look at what she and many other women experience after childbirth.
She still lives in New York, and is still sought after for work in movies, television, and on stage. Pretty nice list of achievements for the once 'Calvin Klein' jeans girl.
- Revealed in an interview that she lost her virginity when she was 22 years old, and that she regretted waiting so long, blaming her inability to lose her virginity sooner on not having a better understanding of herself.
- Was offered the role of Catwoman in _Batman Returns (1992)_ (qv), but the part went to 'Michelle Pfeiffer' (qv).
- Named one of America's 10 most beautiful women by Harper's Bazaar magazine (1981).
- Dated 'Liam Neeson' (qv)
- The episode in which she appeared in of TV sitcom _"Friends" (1994)_ (qv) was the highest rated episode drawing 52.9 million viewers. NBC executives were so impressed with her, that they gave Shields her own sitcom: _"Suddenly Susan" (1996)_ (qv) which lasted four successful seasons.
- (1996) Chosen as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by People Magazine.
- Was offered the role of Cherry in 'Francis Ford Coppola' (qv)'s _The Outsiders (1983)_ (qv), but turned down to the project. 'Diane Lane (I)' (qv) ended up playing the part.
- She and her _"Lipstick Jungle" (2008)_ (qv) co-star, 'Kim Raver' (qv), both went to the same grade school.