May. 31st, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Brooke Shields' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Furry Vengeance
2010 - The Other Guys
2008 - The Midnight Meat Train
2007 - Bag Boy
2005 - Bob the Butler
1999 - The Bachelor
1996 - Freeway
1993 - Freaked
1989 - Speed Zone!
1984 - The Muppets Take Manhattan
1981 - Endless Love
1980 - The Blue Lagoon
1979 - Tilt
1979 - Wanda Nevada
1979 - Just You and Me, Kid
1978 - King of the Gypsies
1978 - Pretty Baby
1976 - Communion
Guest TV Roles
"Want to know what gets between me and my Calvins? Nothing". If you hadn't heard of Brooke Shields before, this tag line from her 'Calvin Klein' Jeans ad had to grab your attention.
Not that she hadn't had a previous noteworthy resume. She was born in New York City in 1965 and, at age 12, she starred as a child prostitute in Pretty Baby (1978). Could this movie even be made today? It was considered risky and controversial in 1978. It was followed by another hit, The Blue Lagoon (1980).
Brooke has proved herself to be so much more than her early films. Her broad range of work as an adult would be quite an achievement for anyone, especially given how difficult transitioning from child actor to adult often is.
She has never stopped working, whether it be a 'Bob Hope' Christmas special, her own sitcom Suddenly Susan (1996) or as an author. She also managed to work on a degree from Princeton University. She has received a number of awards during her career, most notably The People's Choice award for 1981 through 1984 in the category of Favorite Young Performer. In 1997, she was honored again with The People's Choice award for Favorite Female Performer in a New Television Series in 1997 for her work in Suddenly Susan (1996).
In her personal life, she was married in 1997 to tennis player 'Andre Agassi' and was devastated when they divorced two years later. She married for the second time in 2001 to 'Chris Henchy'. She has been open about using fertility treatments to become pregnant with their daughter, Rowan, born in 2003.
When suffering debilitating depression after the birth of her daughter, she made the decision to put her feelings down on paper. Her book, "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression", takes a hard, honest look at what she and many other women experience after childbirth.
She still lives in New York, and is still sought after for work in movies, television, and on stage. Pretty nice list of achievements for the once 'Calvin Klein' jeans girl.
- Added 'Camille' to her name at her Communion when she was 10 years old
- Brooke's legal birthname is Brooke Christa Shields. Her birth certificate was reproduced in both the 1978 and 1982 editions of "The Brooke Book." It is a widely misheld, and often reported, misconception that her birthname is Christa Brooke Shields.
- Said she suffered from depressions after the birth of her first child.
- Brooke gave birth to her second child with her husband 'Chris Henchy' (qv), a girl named Grier Hammond Henchy on April 18, 2006 in Los Angeles. Grier weighed in at 7 lbs. and was 20 inches.
- College sweetheart was 'Dean Cain' (qv) (Princeton, '88). They both belonged to the same Princeton 'eating club' called 'Cap and Gown'
- One of her biggest dreams was to host _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv). She was scheduled to host in the 1980-1981 season, but withdrew due to a writers' strike.
- Her attorney is 'Gerald Lefcourt' (qv).
- Her grandfather was 'Frank Shields (I)' (qv), a professional tennis player who acted in a few films in the 30s