May. 31st, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Brooke Shields' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Other Guys
2010 - Furry Vengeance
2009 - Hannah Montana: The Movie
2008 - The Midnight Meat Train
2005 - Bob the Butler
1999 - The Bachelor
1996 - Freeway
1993 - Freaked
1984 - The Muppets Take Manhattan
1981 - Endless Love
1980 - The Blue Lagoon
1979 - Tilt
1979 - Wanda Nevada
1979 - Just You and Me, Kid
1978 - Pretty Baby
1978 - King of the Gypsies
1976 - Communion
Guest TV Roles
There Was a Little Girl
"Want to know what gets between me and my Calvins? Nothing". If you hadn't heard of Brooke Shields before, this tag line from her 'Calvin Klein' Jeans ad had to grab your attention.
Not that she hadn't had a previous noteworthy resume. She was born in New York City in 1965 and, at age 12, she starred as a child prostitute in Pretty Baby (1978). Could this movie even be made today? It was considered risky and controversial in 1978. It was followed by another hit, The Blue Lagoon (1980).
Brooke has proved herself to be so much more than her early films. Her broad range of work as an adult would be quite an achievement for anyone, especially given how difficult transitioning from child actor to adult often is.
She has never stopped working, whether it be a 'Bob Hope' Christmas special, her own sitcom Suddenly Susan (1996) or as an author. She also managed to work on a degree from Princeton University. She has received a number of awards during her career, most notably The People's Choice award for 1981 through 1984 in the category of Favorite Young Performer. In 1997, she was honored again with The People's Choice award for Favorite Female Performer in a New Television Series in 1997 for her work in Suddenly Susan (1996).
In her personal life, she was married in 1997 to tennis player 'Andre Agassi' and was devastated when they divorced two years later. She married for the second time in 2001 to 'Chris Henchy'. She has been open about using fertility treatments to become pregnant with their daughter, Rowan, born in 2003.
When suffering debilitating depression after the birth of her daughter, she made the decision to put her feelings down on paper. Her book, "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression", takes a hard, honest look at what she and many other women experience after childbirth.
She still lives in New York, and is still sought after for work in movies, television, and on stage. Pretty nice list of achievements for the once 'Calvin Klein' jeans girl.
- Her great-grandmother, Mary Elsie Moore, was the sister of 'Glenn Close' (qv)'s grandfather.
- Ethnic background includes English, Italian and German
- Cousin of 'Alessandro Lecquio' (qv).
- Appeared on the cover of the 1977 album "Magic is a Child" by the progressive rock group Nektar.
- She was stalked by 41-year-old Mark Ronald Bailey (a New Jersey accountant from Los Angeles), while he was armed with a handgun, over a period of three months (October 1999 to January 2000). He was arrested on 1/10/2000 but pleaded not guilty. The criminal complaint alleged Bailey "did maliciously and repeatedly follow and harass 'Brooke Shields' (qv), and made a credible threat...with the intent that she be placed in reasonable fear for her safety, and for the safety of her immediate family." On 9/5/2000, Bailey pleaded no contest to stalking and terrorizing her; he was ordered to undergo counseling and psychological evaluations, after prosecutors claimed he sent more than 100 cards and letters to her over the past 15 years...causing her "extreme fear and shock." The terms of his probation include staying away from her for 10+ years and keeping his distance from "her family, her household members, her employees, her employers or any of her agents." Ironically, seven years prior to this entire ordeal, Shields had won critical acclaim for her portrayal of another real-life stalking-victim (whose case inspired America's first anti-stalking law): California computer-engineer Laura Black, whose story was told in and by the TV docudrama _I Can Make You Love Me (1993) (TV)_ (qv).
- Did a screen test for the role of Princess Leia Organa in _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv).
- Dated 'Liam Neeson' (qv)
- Appeared on the cover of the book "Helene" by John Bowers. Ballantine Books, 1976. ISBN 0-345-24906-2-150