May. 31st, 1965
New York City, New York, USA
Brooke Shields' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
"Want to know what gets between me and my Calvins? Nothing". If you hadn't heard of Brooke Shields before, this tag line from her 'Calvin Klein' Jeans ad had to grab your attention.
Not that she hadn't had a previous noteworthy resume. She was born in New York City in 1965 and, at age 12, she starred as a child prostitute in Pretty Baby (1978). Could this movie even be made today? It was considered risky and controversial in 1978. It was followed by another hit, The Blue Lagoon (1980).
Brooke has proved herself to be so much more than her early films. Her broad range of work as an adult would be quite an achievement for anyone, especially given how difficult transitioning from child actor to adult often is.
She has never stopped working, whether it be a 'Bob Hope' Christmas special, her own sitcom Suddenly Susan (1996) or as an author. She also managed to work on a degree from Princeton University. She has received a number of awards during her career, most notably The People's Choice award for 1981 through 1984 in the category of Favorite Young Performer. In 1997, she was honored again with The People's Choice award for Favorite Female Performer in a New Television Series in 1997 for her work in Suddenly Susan (1996).
In her personal life, she was married in 1997 to tennis player 'Andre Agassi' and was devastated when they divorced two years later. She married for the second time in 2001 to 'Chris Henchy'. She has been open about using fertility treatments to become pregnant with their daughter, Rowan, born in 2003.
When suffering debilitating depression after the birth of her daughter, she made the decision to put her feelings down on paper. Her book, "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression", takes a hard, honest look at what she and many other women experience after childbirth.
She still lives in New York, and is still sought after for work in movies, television, and on stage. Pretty nice list of achievements for the once 'Calvin Klein' jeans girl.
- Appeared on the cover of the book "Helene" by John Bowers. Ballantine Books, 1976. ISBN 0-345-24906-2-150
- Had her marriage to 'Andre Agassi' (qv) annulled so she can remarry in the Catholic Church.
- Dated 'Michael Jackson (I)' (qv)
- Turned down the 'Melanie Griffith' (qv) role in _Working Girl (1988)_ (qv).
- At the ripe old age of 16, she had already appeared on the cover of every major fashion magazine including; Cosmopolitan, Elle, Glamour, Harper's Bazaar, Mademoiselle, Seventeen, and Vogue.
- One of her biggest dreams was to host _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv). She was scheduled to host in the 1980-1981 season, but withdrew due to a writers' strike.
- The hardcover version of the novel "Evalore" by Eva Jones has a close-up photo of Brooke on the dust jacket. Copies of the novel with the dust jacket intact are collectables. ISBN 0397012594.
- Was among the guests at 'Tom Cruise' (qv) and 'Katie Holmes' (qv)'s wedding.