Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
The Mastermind (Voiced)
King Vesper Abaddon
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- The scene in _X2 (2003)_ (qv) where Magneto escapes from prison is modeled after Hannibal Lecter's escape in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) - the sequel to Cox's film _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), in which he played Lecter.
- Has performed in several movies playing a government official in which another actor has amnesia but later discovers they are secret government assasins: _The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)_ (qv) where the amnesia victim is actress 'Geena Davis' (qv), _The Bourne Identity (2002)_ (qv) with 'Matt Damon' (qv) having the amnesia, and also _X2 (2003)_ (qv) where the victim is played by 'Hugh Jackman' (qv).
- Has appeared in two films about legendary Scottish heroes. In 1995 he appeared in both _Braveheart (1995)_ (qv) and _Rob Roy (1995)_ (qv).
- Has no fewer than three roles in common with 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv). They have both played Titus Andronicus, and both of them played King Lear while the other was simultaneously playing Hannibal Lecter.
- Appears in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) with 'Joan Allen (I)' (qv), they went on to work together 18 years later on the movie _The Bourne Supremacy (2004)_ (qv).
- Although it is indicated in _X2 (2003)_ (qv) that his character (William Stryker) is at least 20 years older than 'Bruce Davison' (qv)'s character (Senator Kelly), in real life, he is only 27 days older.
- Appears in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) with 'Joan Allen (I)' (qv). Each of them later went on to work with the other's successor. Cox's successor as Lecter, 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv), appeared in _Nixon (1995)_ (qv) with Allen. Cox worked with Allen's successor, 'Emily Watson (I)' (qv), in _The Boxer (1997)_ (qv).
- He does not watch or view his own work.