Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
King Vesper Abaddon
The Mastermind (Voiced)
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- He was awarded the C.B.E. (Commander of the order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's New Year's Honours List for his services to drama.
- Has performed in several movies playing a government official in which another actor has amnesia but later discovers they are secret government assasins: _The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)_ (qv) where the amnesia victim is actress 'Geena Davis' (qv), _The Bourne Identity (2002)_ (qv) with 'Matt Damon' (qv) having the amnesia, and also _X2 (2003)_ (qv) where the victim is played by 'Hugh Jackman' (qv).
- Has no fewer than three roles in common with 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv). They have both played Titus Andronicus, and both of them played King Lear while the other was simultaneously playing Hannibal Lecter.
- Son 'Alan Cox (I)' (qv) (a professional actor) and daughter Margaret, from his 18-year marriage to Caroline Burt (they divorced in 1986.). A second son was born 31 Jan 2002 from his wife 'Nicole Ansari-Cox' (qv).
- Based his portrayal of "Hannibal Lecter" on Scottish serial killer 'Peter Manuel (II)' (qv).
- He was awarded the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award in 1989 (1988 season) for Best Actor in a Revival for "Titus Andronicus".
- He played Hannibal Lecter in the film, _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv). In 2002, he co-starred with 'Edward Norton (I)' (qv) and 'Philip Seymour Hoffman' (qv) in the film _25th Hour (2002)_ (qv). In 2002, Norton and Hoffman also starred in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), which was a remake of _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- He was awarded the 1987 London Critics Circle Theatre Award (Drama Theatre Award) for Best Actor for his performances in The Taming of the Shrew, Titus Andronicus, and Fashion.