Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
King Vesper Abaddon
The Mastermind (Voiced)
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- Appears in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) with 'Joan Allen (I)' (qv). Each of them later went on to work with the other's successor. Cox's successor as Lecter, 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv), appeared in _Nixon (1995)_ (qv) with Allen. Cox worked with Allen's successor, 'Emily Watson (I)' (qv), in _The Boxer (1997)_ (qv).
- Son 'Alan Cox (I)' (qv) (a professional actor) and daughter Margaret, from his 18-year marriage to Caroline Burt (they divorced in 1986.). A second son was born 31 Jan 2002 from his wife 'Nicole Ansari-Cox' (qv).
- Second son Torin Kamran Charles born October 2004.
- The scene in _X2 (2003)_ (qv) where Magneto escapes from prison is modeled after Hannibal Lecter's escape in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) - the sequel to Cox's film _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), in which he played Lecter.
- Has appeared in two films about legendary Scottish heroes. In 1995 he appeared in both _Braveheart (1995)_ (qv) and _Rob Roy (1995)_ (qv).
- He was awarded the C.B.E. (Commander of the order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's New Year's Honours List for his services to drama.
- He was awarded the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award in 1989 (1988 season) for Best Actor in a Revival for "Titus Andronicus".
- He does not watch or view his own work.