Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
King Vesper Abaddon
The Mastermind (Voiced)
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- Youngest of 5 children.
- Appeared as an extra in several episodes of _"The Prisoner" (1967)_ (qv).
- After graduating from LAMDA, he spent several seasons with the Royal National Theatre in London, England.
- He was awarded the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award in 1989 (1988 season) for Best Actor in a Revival for "Titus Andronicus".
- Although it is indicated in _X2 (2003)_ (qv) that his character (William Stryker) is at least 20 years older than 'Bruce Davison' (qv)'s character (Senator Kelly), in real life, he is only 27 days older.
- Has a son, 'Alan Cox (I)' (qv), who starred in _Young Sherlock Holmes (1985)_ (qv).
- He was awarded the C.B.E. (Commander of the order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's New Year's Honours List for his services to drama.
- Has performed in several movies playing a government official in which another actor has amnesia but later discovers they are secret government assasins: _The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)_ (qv) where the amnesia victim is actress 'Geena Davis' (qv), _The Bourne Identity (2002)_ (qv) with 'Matt Damon' (qv) having the amnesia, and also _X2 (2003)_ (qv) where the victim is played by 'Hugh Jackman' (qv).