Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
King Vesper Abaddon
The Mastermind (Voiced)
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- Youngest of 5 children.
- Father died when he was 9.
- Based his portrayal of "Hannibal Lecter" on Scottish serial killer 'Peter Manuel (II)' (qv).
- First actor to portray Dr. Hannibal Lecter on the screen.
- Appeared as an extra in several episodes of _"The Prisoner" (1967)_ (qv).
- He was awarded the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award in 1989 (1988 season) for Best Actor in a Revival for "Titus Andronicus".
- Has no fewer than three roles in common with 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv). They have both played Titus Andronicus, and both of them played King Lear while the other was simultaneously playing Hannibal Lecter.
- Although it is indicated in _X2 (2003)_ (qv) that his character (William Stryker) is at least 20 years older than 'Bruce Davison' (qv)'s character (Senator Kelly), in real life, he is only 27 days older.