Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
King Vesper Abaddon
The Mastermind (Voiced)
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- Scottish-born, but of Irish Catholic extraction.
- Has no fewer than three roles in common with 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv). They have both played Titus Andronicus, and both of them played King Lear while the other was simultaneously playing Hannibal Lecter.
- Has appeared in two films about legendary Scottish heroes. In 1995 he appeared in both _Braveheart (1995)_ (qv) and _Rob Roy (1995)_ (qv).
- He played Hannibal Lecter in the film, _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv). In 2002, he co-starred with 'Edward Norton (I)' (qv) and 'Philip Seymour Hoffman' (qv) in the film _25th Hour (2002)_ (qv). In 2002, Norton and Hoffman also starred in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), which was a remake of _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- Has performed in several movies playing a government official in which another actor has amnesia but later discovers they are secret government assasins: _The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)_ (qv) where the amnesia victim is actress 'Geena Davis' (qv), _The Bourne Identity (2002)_ (qv) with 'Matt Damon' (qv) having the amnesia, and also _X2 (2003)_ (qv) where the victim is played by 'Hugh Jackman' (qv).
- Has worked with two Eomers. In the Sharpe films (_Sharpe's Eagle (1993) (TV)_ (qv) and _Sharpe's Rifles (1993) (TV)_ (qv)), with 'Sean Bean' (qv), he appears with 'Anthony Hyde' (qv), who played the role in the BBC radio broadcast. In _The Bourne Supremacy (2004)_ (qv), he appears with 'Karl Urban' (qv), who played the role in 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv)'s films.
- Father died when he was 9.
- First actor to portray Dr. Hannibal Lecter on the screen.