Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
King Vesper Abaddon
The Mastermind (Voiced)
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- Has no fewer than three roles in common with 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv). They have both played Titus Andronicus, and both of them played King Lear while the other was simultaneously playing Hannibal Lecter.
- He was awarded the 1987 London Critics Circle Theatre Award (Drama Theatre Award) for Best Actor for his performances in The Taming of the Shrew, Titus Andronicus, and Fashion.
- Appears in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) with 'Joan Allen (I)' (qv). Each of them later went on to work with the other's successor. Cox's successor as Lecter, 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv), appeared in _Nixon (1995)_ (qv) with Allen. Cox worked with Allen's successor, 'Emily Watson (I)' (qv), in _The Boxer (1997)_ (qv).
- Appears in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) with 'Joan Allen (I)' (qv), they went on to work together 18 years later on the movie _The Bourne Supremacy (2004)_ (qv).
- He was awarded the C.B.E. (Commander of the order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's New Year's Honours List for his services to drama.
- Member of the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) in Stratford Upon Avon, England, where he is most recognized for his performance of 'King Lear'.
- Scottish-born, but of Irish Catholic extraction.
- Has a son, 'Alan Cox (I)' (qv), who starred in _Young Sherlock Holmes (1985)_ (qv).