Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
King Vesper Abaddon
The Mastermind (Voiced)
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- Appears in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) with 'Joan Allen (I)' (qv), they went on to work together 18 years later on the movie _The Bourne Supremacy (2004)_ (qv).
- Scottish-born, but of Irish Catholic extraction.
- The scene in _X2 (2003)_ (qv) where Magneto escapes from prison is modeled after Hannibal Lecter's escape in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) - the sequel to Cox's film _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), in which he played Lecter.
- After graduating from LAMDA, he spent several seasons with the Royal National Theatre in London, England.
- He was awarded the 1984 London Critics Circle Theatre Award (Drama Theatre Award) for Best Actor for his performances in Rat in the Skull and Strange Interlude.
- He was awarded the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award in 1989 (1988 season) for Best Actor in a Revival for "Titus Andronicus".
- Backed out of his contract after filming the second of the BBC/Celtic Sharpe series of films after complaining of poor working conditions in the Ukraine as well as becoming repeatedly ill because of them. He was replaced by 'Michael Byrne (I)' (qv), who was featured in the next three Sharpe films.
- Has performed in several movies playing a government official in which another actor has amnesia but later discovers they are secret government assasins: _The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)_ (qv) where the amnesia victim is actress 'Geena Davis' (qv), _The Bourne Identity (2002)_ (qv) with 'Matt Damon' (qv) having the amnesia, and also _X2 (2003)_ (qv) where the victim is played by 'Hugh Jackman' (qv).