Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
The Mastermind (Voiced)
King Vesper Abaddon
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- He was awarded the 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award in 1985 (1984 season) for Best Actor in a New Play for "Rat in the Skull".
- He does not watch or view his own work.
- First actor to portray Dr. Hannibal Lecter on the screen.
- Father died when he was 9.
- Has no fewer than three roles in common with 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv). They have both played Titus Andronicus, and both of them played King Lear while the other was simultaneously playing Hannibal Lecter.
- Appeared as an extra in several episodes of _"The Prisoner" (1967)_ (qv).
- Second son Torin Kamran Charles born October 2004.
- Rarely plays characters who are sympathetic or likable, from his egotistical take on 'Robert McKee (I)' (qv) in _Adaptation. (2002)_ (qv) to the robust evil in his portrayal of Agamemnon in _Troy (2004)_ (qv). Howver, he has gone against type and played several likable characters, such as the gruff yet honorable Uncle Argyle in _Braveheart (1995)_ (qv) and the lovable, paternal Police Chief John O'Hagan in _Super Troopers (2001)_ (qv).