Jun. 1st, 1946
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Brian Cox's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Brian Cox is an Emmy Award-winning actor, first coming to attention in the early 1970s with performances in numerous television films. His first big break was as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter (/Lecktor)" in Manhunter (1986). The film was not overly successful at the box office, although Cox's career prospects and popularity continued to develop. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in nearly 20 films and television shows, as well as making numerous TV guest appearances.
More recently Cox has had roles in some major films, including The Corruptor (1999), The Ring (2002) and X2 (2003).
- After graduating from LAMDA, he spent several seasons with the Royal National Theatre in London, England.
- Although it is indicated in _X2 (2003)_ (qv) that his character (William Stryker) is at least 20 years older than 'Bruce Davison' (qv)'s character (Senator Kelly), in real life, he is only 27 days older.
- Rarely plays characters who are sympathetic or likable, from his egotistical take on 'Robert McKee (I)' (qv) in _Adaptation. (2002)_ (qv) to the robust evil in his portrayal of Agamemnon in _Troy (2004)_ (qv). Howver, he has gone against type and played several likable characters, such as the gruff yet honorable Uncle Argyle in _Braveheart (1995)_ (qv) and the lovable, paternal Police Chief John O'Hagan in _Super Troopers (2001)_ (qv).
- He does not watch or view his own work.
- Backed out of his contract after filming the second of the BBC/Celtic Sharpe series of films after complaining of poor working conditions in the Ukraine as well as becoming repeatedly ill because of them. He was replaced by 'Michael Byrne (I)' (qv), who was featured in the next three Sharpe films.
- He played Hannibal Lecter in the film, _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv). In 2002, he co-starred with 'Edward Norton (I)' (qv) and 'Philip Seymour Hoffman' (qv) in the film _25th Hour (2002)_ (qv). In 2002, Norton and Hoffman also starred in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), which was a remake of _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- Has worked with two Eomers. In the Sharpe films (_Sharpe's Eagle (1993) (TV)_ (qv) and _Sharpe's Rifles (1993) (TV)_ (qv)), with 'Sean Bean' (qv), he appears with 'Anthony Hyde' (qv), who played the role in the BBC radio broadcast. In _The Bourne Supremacy (2004)_ (qv), he appears with 'Karl Urban' (qv), who played the role in 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv)'s films.
- Has no fewer than three roles in common with 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv). They have both played Titus Andronicus, and both of them played King Lear while the other was simultaneously playing Hannibal Lecter.