Mar. 28th, 1969
Miami Beach, Florida, USA
Brett Ratner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
2009 - I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale
2007 - The Grand
1983 - Scarface
0 - Seduced and Abandoned
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Judge
Himself - Guest
Himself - Director
Ratner grew up in Miami Beach, the only child of a famous Jewish socialite mother. He attended Miami Beach Senior High and was President of the Leo Club in 1986. He was also a member of the "fraternity" Royal Palm. He attended NYU film school currently lives in a $3.6 M house in Beverly Hills. Ratner is also a good friend of Def Jam mogul Russell Simmons, and has directed music videos for many rap stars.
- Got his start by directing rap and hip-hop videos for his friend 'Russell Simmons' (qv). When the original director of _Money Talks (1997)_ (qv) had to be replaced, 'Russell Simmons' (qv) recommended him.
- Considered directing _Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)_ (qv).
- Once vowed he would not direct movies until he had directed at least 100 music videos.
- Without knowing him, 'Steven Spielberg' (qv) and his company Amblin Entertainment sent him $5000 to finish funding for his final film project at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts after he sent out 20 letters to producers asking for help.
- In 2008, at Beverly Hills Film Festival presented the 1st annual Living Legends Award to legendary photographer Phil Stern.
- At Miami Beach Senior High School was a drama student of well-known instructor 'Jay W. Jensen' (qv).
- After meeting with real life FBI agents, he decided that it would not be authentic to have 'Scott Glenn' (qv) reprise the role of Jack Crawford in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), his _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) prequel. Instead, he cast 'Harvey Keitel' (qv), in a role originally created by 'Dennis Farina' (qv) in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv). Keitel and Farina had also both played Ray Barbone in the film _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv). Ratner was considered for directing the sequel to Get Shorty, entitled _Be Cool (2005)_ (qv), in which Keitel also appears.
- His favorite film is _Scarface (1932)_ (qv).