Mar. 28th, 1969
Miami Beach, Florida, USA
Brett Ratner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
2009 - I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale
2007 - The Grand
1983 - Scarface
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ratner grew up in Miami Beach, the only child of a famous Jewish socialite mother. He attended Miami Beach Senior High and was President of the Leo Club in 1986. He was also a member of the "fraternity" Royal Palm. He attended NYU film school currently lives in a $3.6 M house in Beverly Hills. Ratner is also a good friend of Def Jam mogul Russell Simmons, and has directed music videos for many rap stars.
- Was in pre-production for a remake of 'John Cassavetes (I)' (qv)' _The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)_ (qv) after he finished _Rush Hour (1998)_ (qv). It was to be written by Cassavetes' son, 'Nick Cassavetes' (qv) and 'Warren Beatty' (qv) was set to star. Ratner left the project when he was offered _The Family Man (2000)_ (qv).
- (2004) Dating 'Serena Williams' (qv).
- After meeting with real life FBI agents, he decided that it would not be authentic to have 'Scott Glenn' (qv) reprise the role of Jack Crawford in _Red Dragon (2002)_ (qv), his _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) prequel. Instead, he cast 'Harvey Keitel' (qv), in a role originally created by 'Dennis Farina' (qv) in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv). Keitel and Farina had also both played Ray Barbone in the film _Get Shorty (1995)_ (qv). Ratner was considered for directing the sequel to Get Shorty, entitled _Be Cool (2005)_ (qv), in which Keitel also appears.
- Was for some time attached to direct _Superman Returns (2006)_ (qv). He left the project because of repeated delays and difficulty in casting a lead actor. The project then went to 'Bryan Singer' (qv), while Ratner went on to direct _X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)_ (qv), the two previous movies in the saga having been directed by Singer.
- (1997) Engaged to 'Rebecca Gayheart' (qv).
- Favorite film director is 'Hal Ashby' (qv).
- Considered directing _Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)_ (qv).
- Attended Miami Beach Senior High.