N/A (passed away Jul. 27th, 2003)
Eltham, London, England, UK
Guest TV Roles
Comedian, born in London and moved to Bristol before emigrating with his parents to the US in 1908. After some years on the stage as a dancer and comedian, he made his first film appearance in The Big Broadcast of 1938 (1938) singing "Thanks for the Memories", which became his signature tune. In partnership with Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour, he appeared in the highly successful "Road to ..." comedies (1940-1952), and in many others until the early 1970s. During World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars he spent much time entertaining the troops in the field. For these activities and for his continued contributions to the industry he was given a special Academy Award on five occasions.
- Hosted the Academy Awards in 1939, 1940, 1943, 1945 (alongside 'John Cromwell (I)' (qv)), 1946 (alongside 'James Stewart (I)' (qv)), 1953 (alongside 'Conrad Nagel' (qv)), 1955 (alongside 'Thelma Ritter' (qv)), 1958 (alongside 'James Stewart (I)' (qv), 'David Niven (I)' (qv), 'Jack Lemmon (I)' (qv), 'Rosalind Russell' (qv) and "Donald Duck"), 1959 (alongside 'Jerry Lewis (I)' (qv), 'David Niven (I)' (qv), 'Laurence Olivier' (qv), 'Mort Sahl' (qv) and 'Tony Randall (I)' (qv)), 1960, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1975 (alongside 'Sammy Davis Jr.' (qv), 'Shirley MacLaine' (qv) and 'Frank Sinatra' (qv)) and finally in 1978.
- USO center is named after him
- In November of 1948, when President 'Harry S. Truman' (qv) scored his upset presidential re-election victory, Hope sent him a one-word telegram: "Unpack". Truman was so amused by it he kept it in his desk in the Oval Office.
- ABC-TV Network News Poll, A&E Biography Viewers Poll, as well as magazine and newspaper 'century roundups' have proclaimed Hope as the "Entertainer of the 20th Century."
- Was the first honoree of the "'Dean Martin' Celebrity Roasts" series on October 30, 1974. The Celebrity Roasts had begun in the last season (1973-74) of _"The Dean Martin Show" (1965)_ (qv) and were so popular that after that show went off the air, the "Celebrity Roasts" continued as specials.
- Hospitalized with gastro-intestinal bleeding in June 2000. Although he received a blood transfusion after the bleeding in his colon was stopped, no surgery was performed.
- Brother 'Jack Hope' (qv) sometimes served as producer of Bob's shows; his memoir 'I Owe Russia $1200' is dedicated to Jack's memory.
- Once remarked the only place where he could walk unrecognized was in the People's Republic of China. But even then a Chinese man still recognized him from one of his movies from before the Chinese Revolution.