N/A (passed away Jul. 27th, 2003)
Eltham, London, England, UK
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Special Guest Star
Comedian, born in London and moved to Bristol before emigrating with his parents to the US in 1908. After some years on the stage as a dancer and comedian, he made his first film appearance in The Big Broadcast of 1938 (1938) singing "Thanks for the Memories", which became his signature tune. In partnership with Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour, he appeared in the highly successful "Road to ..." comedies (1940-1952), and in many others until the early 1970s. During World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars he spent much time entertaining the troops in the field. For these activities and for his continued contributions to the industry he was given a special Academy Award on five occasions.
- USO center is named after him
- He changed his name from Leslie to Bob, because in school they would call the roll as 'Hope, Leslie' and classmates shortened it to hopeless.
- He entertained 11 different Presidents, beginning with 'Franklin Delano Roosevelt' (qv) and ending with 'Bill Clinton (I)' (qv).
- There is a major street in Rancho Mirage, CA, named after him. Bob Hope Drive crosses 'Frank Sinatra' (qv), 'Gerald Ford (I)' (qv), 'Ginger Rogers' (qv) and 'Dinah Shore' (qv) Drives.
- Hospitalized with pneumonia and respiratory problems in August 2001. A week after he left hospital on 4 September, Hope and his wife released a joint statement expressing their horror at the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.
- At 69 years, his marriage to 'Dolores Hope' (qv) held the record for the longest Hollywood marriage when he passed away in 2004. It has since been passed by the marriage of Art Linkletter to Lois Foerster. They were married November 25, 1935.
- In 1969, he was worth in excess of $150 million, largely as a result of shrewd business and real estate investments.
- Wife 'Dolores Hope' (qv) was born 27th May 1909. She and Bob celebrated their birthdays on 28th May every year - splitting the difference between their respective real birthdays.