N/A (passed away Jul. 27th, 2003)
Eltham, London, England, UK
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Comedian, born in London and moved to Bristol before emigrating with his parents to the US in 1908. After some years on the stage as a dancer and comedian, he made his first film appearance in The Big Broadcast of 1938 (1938) singing "Thanks for the Memories", which became his signature tune. In partnership with Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour, he appeared in the highly successful "Road to ..." comedies (1940-1952), and in many others until the early 1970s. During World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars he spent much time entertaining the troops in the field. For these activities and for his continued contributions to the industry he was given a special Academy Award on five occasions.
- Hosted the Academy Awards in 1939, 1940, 1943, 1945 (alongside 'John Cromwell (I)' (qv)), 1946 (alongside 'James Stewart (I)' (qv)), 1953 (alongside 'Conrad Nagel' (qv)), 1955 (alongside 'Thelma Ritter' (qv)), 1958 (alongside 'James Stewart (I)' (qv), 'David Niven (I)' (qv), 'Jack Lemmon (I)' (qv), 'Rosalind Russell' (qv) and "Donald Duck"), 1959 (alongside 'Jerry Lewis (I)' (qv), 'David Niven (I)' (qv), 'Laurence Olivier' (qv), 'Mort Sahl' (qv) and 'Tony Randall (I)' (qv)), 1960, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1975 (alongside 'Sammy Davis Jr.' (qv), 'Shirley MacLaine' (qv) and 'Frank Sinatra' (qv)) and finally in 1978.
- He was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 1990.
- There is a major street in Rancho Mirage, CA, named after him. Bob Hope Drive crosses 'Frank Sinatra' (qv), 'Gerald Ford (I)' (qv), 'Ginger Rogers' (qv) and 'Dinah Shore' (qv) Drives.
- His mother's name was Agnes Townes (she was a concert singer). He had many brothers, including 'Jack Hope' (qv) (1898 - 1962) who was his personal manager. 'James Hope (I)' (qv) was Director of Hope Enterprises. Ivor Hope (? - 1969) was President of Hope Metal Products. George Hope (? - 1969) was a production company coordinator. Two more brothers were Sidney Hope (? - 1946) and Frederick Hope.
- Received 58 honorary degrees.
- In 1999 he became the first to start the tradition of the official lighting of the Christmas Tree in Disneyland. Afterwards, he and wife 'Dolores Hope' (qv) drove their own golf cart down Main Street, through Frontier Land to Club 33 for dinner.
- Graduated from Fairmount High School in Cleveland, Ohio.
- He was one of the richest movie stars.... he ranked in the top ten highest salaried stars continuously from 1941-1953 [except for 1948]