Mar. 22nd, 1952
Queens, New York, USA
Bob Costas' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2012 - Head Games
2011 - Moneyball
2006 - Cars
2005 - Coach Carter
2001 - Pootie Tang
2000 - Michael Jordan to the Max
1998 - BASEketball
1994 - The Scout
1994 - The Paper
1992 - Mr. Baseball
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Bob Costas (Voiced)
Himself - NBC Commentator (segment "Stat Man")
TV sportscaster known as a smart interviewer with encyclopedic knowledge and a devilish sense of humor.
- Apart from his normal sportscasting duties, Costas also announced periodic dog-sled and elevator races on _"Late Night with David Letterman" (1982)_ (qv).
- NBC sportscaster (1980- ).
- Children: Keith (b. 1986) and Taylor (b. 1989).
- Costas has won four National Sportcaster of the Year awards (from the National Sportcaster and Sportswriter Association) and three Emmy Awards for outstanding sports announcing.
- Recipient of the 'Curt Gowdy' (qv) Award (awarded to members of the electronic and print media for outstanding contributions to basketball) in 1999.
- The first time he visited baseball legend Stan Musial's St. Louis eatery, left a $3.31 tip in homage to the Cardinal great's lifetime batting average (.331).
- Had made it known that he despises the often-used phrase that a player or team can "control their own destiny." He claims that if it truly is 'destiny,' there is nothing any team or player can do to change it.
- For his fortieth birthday, Oakland A's manager Tony La Russa allowed him to manage the club during a spring training game.