Mar. 22nd, 1952
Queens, New York, USA
Bob Costas' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Cars
2005 - Coach Carter
2001 - Pootie Tang
2000 - Michael Jordan to the Max
1998 - BASEketball
1994 - The Paper
1994 - The Scout
1992 - Mr. Baseball
Guest TV Roles
Bob Costas (Voiced)
Himself - NBC Commentator (segment "Stat Man")
Himself - Guest
TV sportscaster known as a smart interviewer with encyclopedic knowledge and a devilish sense of humor.
- Carries a 'Mickey Mantle' (qv) baseball card in his wallet.
- Had made it known that he despises the often-used phrase that a player or team can "control their own destiny." He claims that if it truly is 'destiny,' there is nothing any team or player can do to change it.
- For his fortieth birthday, Oakland A's manager Tony La Russa allowed him to manage the club during a spring training game.
- NBC sportscaster (1980- ).
- Attended Syracuse University in New York.
- In 2000, published his first book, 'Fair Ball: A Fan's Case For Baseball.'
- Ranked #6 by the American Sportscasters Association in its list of the Top 50 Sportscasters of All-Time (January 2009).
- Apart from his normal sportscasting duties, Costas also announced periodic dog-sled and elevator races on _"Late Night with David Letterman" (1982)_ (qv).