Mar. 22nd, 1952
Queens, New York, USA
Bob Costas' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2012 - Head Games
2011 - Moneyball
2006 - Cars
2005 - Coach Carter
2001 - Pootie Tang
2000 - Michael Jordan to the Max
1998 - BASEketball
1994 - The Scout
1994 - The Paper
1992 - Mr. Baseball
Guest TV Roles
Bob Costas (Voiced)
Himself - NBC Commentator (segment "Stat Man")
TV sportscaster known as a smart interviewer with encyclopedic knowledge and a devilish sense of humor.
- Had made it known that he despises the often-used phrase that a player or team can "control their own destiny." He claims that if it truly is 'destiny,' there is nothing any team or player can do to change it.
- In 2000, published his first book, 'Fair Ball: A Fan's Case For Baseball.'
- Graduated Commack High School South, Class of '70 The first class to graduate from that school.
- Apart from his normal sportscasting duties, Costas also announced periodic dog-sled and elevator races on _"Late Night with David Letterman" (1982)_ (qv).
- Carries a 'Mickey Mantle' (qv) baseball card in his wallet.
- First full-time sportscasting job came at age 22 with the American Basketball Association's Spirits of St. Louis, calling games on radio station KMOX.
- Attended Syracuse University in New York.
- Costas has won four National Sportcaster of the Year awards (from the National Sportcaster and Sportswriter Association) and three Emmy Awards for outstanding sports announcing.