Mar. 22nd, 1952
Queens, New York, USA
Bob Costas' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
TV sportscaster known as a smart interviewer with encyclopedic knowledge and a devilish sense of humor.
- First full-time sportscasting job came at age 22 with the American Basketball Association's Spirits of St. Louis, calling games on radio station KMOX.
- Apart from his normal sportscasting duties, Costas also announced periodic dog-sled and elevator races on _"Late Night with David Letterman" (1982)_ (qv).
- Costas has won four National Sportcaster of the Year awards (from the National Sportcaster and Sportswriter Association) and three Emmy Awards for outstanding sports announcing.
- Carries a 'Mickey Mantle' (qv) baseball card in his wallet.
- Children: Keith (b. 1986) and Taylor (b. 1989).
- Recipient of the 'Curt Gowdy' (qv) Award (awarded to members of the electronic and print media for outstanding contributions to basketball) in 1999.
- Had made it known that he despises the often-used phrase that a player or team can "control their own destiny." He claims that if it truly is 'destiny,' there is nothing any team or player can do to change it.
- Is of Greek and Irish heritage.