Nov. 24th, 1942
Anderston, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Captain Trout (Voiced)
Billy Connolly was born and raised in Glasgow, Scotland. He left school to work in the shipyards becoming a welder and joined the Territorial Army (in the parachute regiment) at around the same time. He developed an interest in folk music, eventually becoming an accomplished banjo player and a member of the band Humblebums with Gerry Rafferty (I) (later of Baker Street fame). The jokes he told between songs eventually took over his act and he became a full-time comedian. Already a big star in Scotland, he became a household name in the UK after appearing on "Parkinson" (1971) in the early seventies. Billy has released many recordings and videos of his concert performances over the years. He has expanded his repertoire to include acting, appearing in a number of television dramas and films, most recently in the USA. In the 90s he made two documentary series for the BBC, about Scotland and Australia respectively, and in 1997 he starred in the award winning film Mrs Brown (1997). He is one of the UK's top comedian.
- He is a long time supporter of Glasgow Celtic Football Club.
- American audiences are generally unfamiliar with Connolly's musical accomplishments, since he all but eliminated the songs from his act before he became popular in North America. An exception to this were his guest appearances on _"Pearl" (1996)_ (qv) in which he sang one of his old songs, "I Wish I Was in Glasgow", in a duet with 'Malcolm McDowell' (qv).
- July 2001: Received an honorary doctorate from the University of Glasgow.
- He is a former reserve soldier in Britain's elite parachute regiment, serving with 15 Para (now a disbanded battalion).
- Married 'Pamela Stephenson' (qv) in Fiji on 20 December 1989.
- In September 2005, he announced that he is returning to live in his native Scotland, after residing in the United States for some years.
- Known for his long, messy hair, goatee and lots of bad language in his stand-up show.
- Three Daughters with 'Pamela Stephenson' (qv): Daisy (born 31 December 1983), Amy (born 7 July 1986) and Scarlett (born 28 July 1988). Two children with his previous wife, Iris Pressagh: Son Jamie (born 1969) and Daughter Cara (born 1973).