Nov. 24th, 1942
Anderston, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Billy Connolly's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Gulliver's Travels
2009 - The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
2008 - Open Season 2
2006 - Fido
2006 - Garfield 2: A Tail of Two Kitties
2006 - Open Season
2005 - The Aristocrats
2004 - Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
2003 - The Last Samurai
2003 - Timeline
2003 - Overnight
2002 - White Oleander
2001 - The Man Who Sued God
2000 - An Everlasting Piece
2000 - Beautiful Joe
1999 - The Boondock Saints
1998 - The Impostors
1998 - Still Crazy
1997 - Mrs Brown
1997 - Beverly Hills Ninja
1996 - Muppet Treasure Island
1995 - Pocahontas
1993 - Indecent Proposal
1989 - The Return of the Musketeers
Guest TV Roles
Captain Trout (Voiced)
Billy Connolly was born and raised in Glasgow, Scotland. He left school to work in the shipyards becoming a welder and joined the Territorial Army (in the parachute regiment) at around the same time. He developed an interest in folk music, eventually becoming an accomplished banjo player and a member of the band Humblebums with Gerry Rafferty (I) (later of Baker Street fame). The jokes he told between songs eventually took over his act and he became a full-time comedian. Already a big star in Scotland, he became a household name in the UK after appearing on "Parkinson" (1971) in the early seventies. Billy has released many recordings and videos of his concert performances over the years. He has expanded his repertoire to include acting, appearing in a number of television dramas and films, most recently in the USA. In the 90s he made two documentary series for the BBC, about Scotland and Australia respectively, and in 1997 he starred in the award winning film Mrs Brown (1997). He is one of the UK's top comedian.
- July 2001: Received an honorary doctorate from the University of Glasgow.
- He is a former reserve soldier in Britain's elite parachute regiment, serving with 15 Para (now a disbanded battalion).
- Three Daughters with 'Pamela Stephenson' (qv): Daisy (born 31 December 1983), Amy (born 7 July 1986) and Scarlett (born 28 July 1988). Two children with his previous wife, Iris Pressagh: Son Jamie (born 1969) and Daughter Cara (born 1973).
- Married 'Pamela Stephenson' (qv) in Fiji on 20 December 1989.
- Known for his long, messy hair, goatee and lots of bad language in his stand-up show.
- American audiences are generally unfamiliar with Connolly's musical accomplishments, since he all but eliminated the songs from his act before he became popular in North America. An exception to this were his guest appearances on _"Pearl" (1996)_ (qv) in which he sang one of his old songs, "I Wish I Was in Glasgow", in a duet with 'Malcolm McDowell' (qv).
- He is a long time supporter of Glasgow Celtic Football Club.
- In September 2005, he announced that he is returning to live in his native Scotland, after residing in the United States for some years.