Aug. 4th, 1955
Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA
Guest TV Roles
CatDog's Father (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Grandfather Shlorp (Voiced)
Dr. Oliver Lorvis
William Robert (Billy Bob) Thornton was born in Hot Springs, Arkansas on August 4, 1955 to William Raymond (Billy Ray) Thornton (educator, high school history teacher, basketball coach; deceased) and Virginia R. Faulkner (psychic). He has three younger brothers, James Donald (Jimmy Don), born in 1958 and now deceased, James (Jim) Bean and John David, born in 1969. He has been married 5 times and has 5 children: daughter Amanda (with Gatlin); sons William and Harry (both with Cherniak); son Maddox, adopted with Angelina Jolie; and daughter Bella with Connie Angland.
Billy Bob began his artistic career as a musician, playing drums and singing in a band called Tres Hombres, which once opened for 'Hank Williams Jr' . In 1981, he moved to Los Angeles with childhood friend Tom Epperson (I) to pursue an acting and writing career. On the side, Billy Bob also sought work as a singer and drummer. He and Epperson tried for years to sell their scripts but no one was buying.
During those rough times, Billy Bob neglected his health and subsequently landed in the hospital with heart problems due to malnutrition. In 1992, Billy Bob starred in One False Move (1992), a movie he co-wrote with Epperson. The team finally received attention because of this work, which was very well received in Hollywood. His popularity increased steadily, especially after Sling Blade (1996) which he wrote, directed and in which he starred.
Billy received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on October 7, 2004.
- Agreed to 'Ethan Coen' (qv) and 'Joel Coen' (qv)'s _The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)_ (qv) without reading the script, out of respect for the Coen brothers' talent.
- Ex-son-in-law of 'Marc Lawrence (I)' (qv) and 'Fanya Foss' (qv).
- His character Willie from _Bad Santa (2003)_ (qv) is reenacted by 'Eminem' (qv) in the music video for Eminem's hit song "Just Lose It".
- He was honored by his hometown, where he's remembered as a milkshake-loving, drum-playing rock 'n' roller. "I had a Tastee-Freez stand before I got into politics," said Mayor Bill Scrimshire, who declared "Billy Bob Thornton Day" Tuesday. "When he was a kid in high school, he used to buy hamburgers and milkshakes from me. He was one of my Tastee-Freez kids."
- Claimed in a "USA Today" interview that he has an intense phobia of antique furniture. This fear has been seen on screen in both _Bandits (2001)_ (qv) and _Sling Blade (1996)_ (qv).
- Has numerous tattoos, among them at least 6 on his arms (3 right, 3 left) and on his lower back/hip.
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated his earnings for the year at $20 million.
- 9/04: His fourth child, daughter Bella, with girlfriend 'Connie Angland' (qv), weighed in at 6 lb., 1.5 oz.