Aug. 4th, 1955
Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA
Guest TV Roles
CatDog's Father (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Grandfather Shlorp (Voiced)
Dr. Oliver Lorvis
William Robert (Billy Bob) Thornton was born in Hot Springs, Arkansas on August 4, 1955 to William Raymond (Billy Ray) Thornton (educator, high school history teacher, basketball coach; deceased) and Virginia R. Faulkner (psychic). He has three younger brothers, James Donald (Jimmy Don), born in 1958 and now deceased, James (Jim) Bean and John David, born in 1969. He has been married 5 times and has 5 children: daughter Amanda (with Gatlin); sons William and Harry (both with Cherniak); son Maddox, adopted with Angelina Jolie; and daughter Bella with Connie Angland.
Billy Bob began his artistic career as a musician, playing drums and singing in a band called Tres Hombres, which once opened for 'Hank Williams Jr' . In 1981, he moved to Los Angeles with childhood friend Tom Epperson (I) to pursue an acting and writing career. On the side, Billy Bob also sought work as a singer and drummer. He and Epperson tried for years to sell their scripts but no one was buying.
During those rough times, Billy Bob neglected his health and subsequently landed in the hospital with heart problems due to malnutrition. In 1992, Billy Bob starred in One False Move (1992), a movie he co-wrote with Epperson. The team finally received attention because of this work, which was very well received in Hollywood. His popularity increased steadily, especially after Sling Blade (1996) which he wrote, directed and in which he starred.
Billy received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on October 7, 2004.
- His paternal grandfather, Otis Thornton, with whom he spent time in his childhood on a small shack in the woods, was a forest ranger.
- His father is of Irish ancestry, while his mother is half Choctaw Indian and half Italian.
- In his contract for each film he does, there is a provision that states a list of demands. One of them includes a television with a satellite hook-up to watch the St. Louis Cardinals when they are in season.
- Has a variety of phobias. Antiques (anything before 1950 or so), Benjamin Disraeli's hair, dust, castles, germs, Komodo dragons, clowns, flying and certain silverware, ("I can use silverware from Sears, but not real silverware, like that heavy, ornate, clunky stuff. Same with plates. I can't use those fancy ones with the flowers on it and everything - no way. Sometimes at home I just eat off of paper plates with plastic forks and knives.").
- 9/22/00: Was treated for an unspecified "viral infection" at a Los Angeles hospital.
- Is a supporter of Liverpool Football Club (soccer team).
- 'Brad Pitt' (qv) is the adoptive father of Thornton's son Maddox with 'Angelina Jolie' (qv). Maddox's last name is Jolie-Pitt and Thornton is no longer involved in raising the child.
- 2006: Narrated the St. Louis Cardinals World Series DVD.