Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Weekend Update Anchor
Himself - Guest
Senator Vernon Smits
Himself - Guest
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- Is a fan of the Illini men's basketball team.
- Was bitten by the groundhog twice on the _Groundhog Day (1993)_ (qv) set in 1992.
- He has rubbed some collaborators the wrong way because he has a tendency to re-write and improvise his way through scripts until many of his scenes barely resembles the original versions. Most collaborators ultimately find, though, it's to the improvement of the films.
- An early promotional reel for _"The Real Ghost Busters" (1986)_ (qv) featured a different character design for the animated version of Murray's character Peter Venkman, a design that bore more of a resemblance to Murray himself as opposed to the final character design, which gave Venkman a slimmer, sleeker, more chiseled "pretty boy" look.
- Has no agent, no business manager, no lawyer, or favorite hair and make-up artist. He travels without an entourage.
- His mother died in 1988.
- 'Sofia Coppola' (qv) wrote the lead role of Bob Harris in _Lost in Translation (2003)_ (qv), with Murray specifically in mind. She did not know the actor and even enlisted the help of her famous father, 'Francis Ford Coppola' (qv), to track down the sometimes quite elusive Murray. Once he finally read the script, though, he agreed to do it on the spot. Murray and 'Sofia Coppola' (qv) are now good friends.
- Performed the vocals for the song "The Best Thing" in the 'John Waters (I)' (qv) film _Polyester (1981)_ (qv).