Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- Is portrayed by 'Mather Zickel' (qv) in _Gilda Radner: It's Always Something (2002) (TV)_ (qv).
- Shares two characters with the late 'Lorenzo Music' (qv). He played Peter Venkman in the film _Ghost Busters (1984)_ (qv), while Lorenzo played Venkman in the animated series, _"The Real Ghost Busters" (1986)_ (qv). Lorenzo was also the voice of Garfield in numerous cartoons, while Bill provides Garfield's voice in _Garfield (2004)_ (qv).
- Performed the vocals for the song "The Best Thing" in the 'John Waters (I)' (qv) film _Polyester (1981)_ (qv).
- He has rubbed some collaborators the wrong way because he has a tendency to re-write and improvise his way through scripts until many of his scenes barely resembles the original versions. Most collaborators ultimately find, though, it's to the improvement of the films.
- (2005) Announced that after his next three productions, he will be taking a break from acting to relax. He cites the productions of _The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)_ (qv) and _Broken Flowers (2005)_ (qv) as having exhausted him.
- Has no agent, no business manager, no lawyer, or favorite hair and make-up artist. He travels without an entourage.
- He is part of The Goldklang Group that includes 'Van Schley' (qv), baseball marketing guru 'Mike Veeck' (qv), and _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) comedian 'Jimmy Fallon' (qv). The group owns minor league baseball teams the St. Paul Saints and the Brockton Rox of the Northern League, the Charleston RiverDogs, the Fort Myers Miracle, the Hudson Valley Renegades, the Evansville Otters and they run the Portland Beavers.
- He was considered for the role of Detective John Kimble in _Kindergarten Cop (1990)_ (qv). The part eventually went to 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' (qv).