Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Senator Vernon Smits
Himself - Guest
Dr. Peter Venkman
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- Shares two characters with the late 'Lorenzo Music' (qv). He played Peter Venkman in the film _Ghost Busters (1984)_ (qv), while Lorenzo played Venkman in the animated series, _"The Real Ghost Busters" (1986)_ (qv). Lorenzo was also the voice of Garfield in numerous cartoons, while Bill provides Garfield's voice in _Garfield (2004)_ (qv).
- Siblings include 'Brian Doyle-Murray' (qv), Nancy, Edward, Andy, 'John Murray (II)' (qv), 'Joel Murray' (qv), Peggy, and Laura.
- Father, with 'Jennifer Butler (I)' (qv), of sons Jackson (b. 1993), Cal (b. 1995) and Cooper (b. 1996) and Lincoln (b. 2001).
- Appeared in _Scrooged (1988)_ (qv) with all three of his brothers.
- In 2001, he starred with 'Sigourney Weaver' (qv) in an Off-Off-Broadway play called "The Guys," in which he played a fire captain who lost eight of his men on 9/11. In the movie version, Murray's role was played by 'Anthony LaPaglia' (qv).
- Doesn't have a publicist.
- His father Edward was a lumber salesman. He died in 1967.
- Has said that "Oklahoma!" is his favorite musical.