Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Senator Vernon Smits
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- He is part of The Goldklang Group that includes 'Van Schley' (qv), baseball marketing guru 'Mike Veeck' (qv), and _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv) comedian 'Jimmy Fallon' (qv). The group owns minor league baseball teams the St. Paul Saints and the Brockton Rox of the Northern League, the Charleston RiverDogs, the Fort Myers Miracle, the Hudson Valley Renegades, the Evansville Otters and they run the Portland Beavers.
- Turned down 'Steve Carell' (qv)'s role in _Little Miss Sunshine (2006)_ (qv), which became one of the few choices in his career that he regretted.
- Was considered for the role of Buzz Lightyear in _Toy Story (1995)_ (qv).
- His home is in upstate New York, although he is more frequently working elsewhere during the year.
- Was considered for the role of Willy Wonka in _Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)_ (qv).
- Murray is a huge fan of Chicago pro sports teams, especially the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago Bears.
- Was considered and tested for the voice role of Sulley in _Monsters, Inc. (2001)_ (qv), but the director, 'Pete Docter' (qv), said that when the filmmakers decided to offer it to Murray, they were unable to make contact with him and took that to mean "no".
- His pockmarked face is due to acne problems he experienced as a teenager.