Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Weekend Update Anchor
Himself - Guest
Senator Vernon Smits
Himself - Guest
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- Was considered for the role of Willy Wonka in _Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)_ (qv).
- Siblings include 'Brian Doyle-Murray' (qv), Nancy, Edward, Andy, 'John Murray (II)' (qv), 'Joel Murray' (qv), Peggy, and Laura.
- (2005) Announced that after his next three productions, he will be taking a break from acting to relax. He cites the productions of _The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)_ (qv) and _Broken Flowers (2005)_ (qv) as having exhausted him.
- (October 1997) Ranked #82 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- He owns a minor league baseball team in Charleston, SC, called the Riverdogs.
- Is an avid golfer and has appeared at many pro-am golf tournaments.
- Performed the vocals for the song "The Best Thing" in the 'John Waters (I)' (qv) film _Polyester (1981)_ (qv).
- Has become the unofficial patron saint of the forums of the Football Manager website, home to one of the biggest selling PC games of all time.