Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Senator Vernon Smits
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- Was considered for the role of Buzz Lightyear in _Toy Story (1995)_ (qv).
- His role in _Ghost Busters (1984)_ (qv) was originally intended for fellow SNL star 'John Belushi' (qv).
- Father, with 'Jennifer Butler (I)' (qv), of sons Jackson (b. 1993), Cal (b. 1995) and Cooper (b. 1996) and Lincoln (b. 2001).
- He is a diehard Chicago Cubs fan. During the Cubs playoff run in 2003, he was on location in Italy, but he had it written into his contract that he'd get a satellite feed of the playoffs.
- Was considered for the role of Han Solo in _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv).
- Was considered for the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the 1989 _Batman (1989)_ (qv) film when it was set to be identical to the 1960s TV Series before 'Tim Burton (I)' (qv) came along.
- Attended Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois.
- His pockmarked face is due to acne problems he experienced as a teenager.