Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - St. Vincent
Senator Vernon Smits
Himself - Guest
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- Performed the vocals for the song "The Best Thing" in the 'John Waters (I)' (qv) film _Polyester (1981)_ (qv).
- 1997 Recipient of the Sons of the Desert Annual Comedy Performer Award on April 19th, 1997.
- Was considered for the role of Han Solo in _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv).
- He often works with the directors 'Harold Ramis' (qv), 'Ivan Reitman' (qv), 'Wes Anderson (I)' (qv), and 'Jim Jarmusch' (qv).
- Has appeared with both 'Dustin Hoffman' (qv) in _Tootsie (1982)_ (qv) and Dustin's brother 'Todd Hoffman (II)' (qv) in _Meatballs (1979)_ (qv).
- Was a guest on the very first episode of _"Late Night with David Letterman" (1982)_ (qv).
- Was considered for the role of Buzz Lightyear in _Toy Story (1995)_ (qv).
- Was considered for the role of Eddie Valiant in _Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)_ (qv). The part eventually went to 'Bob Hoskins (I)' (qv).