Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Top Ten List Presenter: #1
Himself - At the Oscars
Senator Vernon Smits
Himself - Guest
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- 1997 Recipient of the Sons of the Desert Annual Comedy Performer Award on April 19th, 1997.
- Father, with 'Mickey Kelley' (qv), of sons 'Homer Murray' (qv) (b. 1982) and 'Luke Murray' (qv) (b. 1985).
- He was considered for the role of Detective John Kimble in _Kindergarten Cop (1990)_ (qv). The part eventually went to 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' (qv).
- Murray and 'Dan Aykroyd' (qv) reprised their _Ghost Busters (1984)_ (qv) characters to visit a terminally ill child who was a fan of the film and wanted to meet them.
- He was rated number 1 in Comedy Central's newest show 'Mouthing Off: 51 Greatest Smartasses.'
- He owns a minor league baseball team in Charleston, SC, called the Riverdogs.
- He is a diehard Chicago Cubs fan. During the Cubs playoff run in 2003, he was on location in Italy, but he had it written into his contract that he'd get a satellite feed of the playoffs.
- Was bitten by the groundhog twice on the _Groundhog Day (1993)_ (qv) set in 1992.