Sep. 21st, 1950
Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Senator Vernon Smits
Himself - Guest
Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of "Saturday Night Live" (1975), he joined "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join "Saturday Night Live" (1975).
- Related through marriage to guitar player, lyricist and singer Chris Luxem.
- Is portrayed by 'Mather Zickel' (qv) in _Gilda Radner: It's Always Something (2002) (TV)_ (qv).
- Murray is one of only three American actors that were nominated for an Oscar for a movie that is set on the territory of Japan. The other two are Marlon Brando and Red Buttons for _Sayonara (1957)_ (qv).
- Was considered for the role of Buzz Lightyear in _Toy Story (1995)_ (qv).
- Turned down 'Steve Carell' (qv)'s role in _Little Miss Sunshine (2006)_ (qv), which became one of the few choices in his career that he regretted.
- (October 1997) Ranked #82 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- Set to become part-owner of his third minor league baseball team, the new Brockton Rox, in Mass., with friend 'Van Schley' (qv).
- Doesn't have a publicist.