Jul. 7th, 1959
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Bill Campbell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2003 - Gods and Generals
2002 - Enough
1993 - Gettysburg
1993 - The Night We Never Met
1992 - Bram Stoker's Dracula
1991 - The Rocketeer
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Campbell is probably most famous for his portrayal of Rick Sammler on the ABC series Once and Again for which he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a Dramatic Series. Among his other well-known roles are a gay gynecologist, Dr. Jon Philip Fielding, in all three of the television miniseries adaptations of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City novels, and as Carter Buckley in seven episodes of the second season of television series The O.C.. He had a recurring later turned series regular role as Jordan Collier on the USA Network original series The 4400. His film credits include The Rocketeer, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Enough. He was also known for his recurring role as Detective Joey Indelli on the 1986–88 NBC series Crime Story.
Campbell's first prominent television role was that of Luke Fuller, Steven Carrington's lover on Dynasty during Season Five (1984–1985) and the beginning of Season Six (1985–1986.) Campbell was the second choice of the producers of Star Trek: The Next Generation (September 28, 1987 – May 23, 1994) to play the role of William Riker, but lost the role to Jonathan Frakes. Campbell would later appear as a guest star in the second season episode "The Outrageous Okona" (episode 2.4, first broadcast December 12, 1988.)
In 2000, he was named one of the "World's 50 Most Beautiful People" by People magazine.
Recently, he has made a successful career out of playing villains. One such role was as a college professor accused of raping a student (played by Shannyn Sossamon), on the episode "Doubt" of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit; it aired on November 23, 2004, as part of Season 6 (2004–2005.) In addition, he has portrayed serial killer Ted Bundy in the made-for-TV movie The Stranger Beside Me, and an accused serial killer who defends himself in the television series Shark.
- Is a die-hard bachelor.
- (2000) Chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world
- Parents divorced when he was two years old. He shuttled between his mother in Virginia and his father in Chicago.
- Is a rugby enthusiast, having played rugby with the Chicago Lions RFC and the Santa Monica Rugby Club.
- Dated 'Jennifer Connelly' (qv) for 5 years following their 1991 teaming in _The Rocketeer (1991)_ (qv).
- Has volunteered as an actor with the Young Storytellers Program.
- In early 2005, he took 13 months off from acting to circumnavigate the globe on a sailing trawler. He joined the crew of The Picton Castle which set sail from Nova Scotia to deliver charitable donations of school essentials, clothing and supplies throughout the South Pacific. The creators of 'the 4400' coped with his planned absence by having his character Jordan Collier assassinated.
- He was the second choice for the role of William Thomas Riker on _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv), but 'Jonathan Frakes' (qv) won the part. However, he guest-starred in Episode #2.4, "The Outrageous Okona" 10 December 1988.
Related sites for this celeb