Jan. 17th, 1922
Oak Park, Illinois, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Although best known as the devious Sue Ann Nivens on the classic sitcom "Mary Tyler Moore" (1970) and the ditzy Rose Nylund on "The Golden Girls" (1985), Betty White had been in television for a long, long time before those two shows, having had her own series, "Life with Elizabeth" (1952) in 1952. The widow of TV game-show host Allen Ludden, she has been inducted into the Television Hall of Fame and is known for her tireless efforts on behalf of animals.
- Attended the same high school as 'Angelina Jolie' (qv), 'Michael Klesic' (qv), 'Nicolas Cage' (qv), 'Lenny Kravitz' (qv), 'David Schwimmer (I)' (qv), 'Jonathan Silverman (I)' (qv), 'Gina Gershon' (qv), 'Rhonda Fleming' (qv), 'Jackie Cooper (I)' (qv), 'Rob Reiner' (qv), 'Antonio Sabato Jr.' (qv), 'Pauly Shore' (qv), 'Michael Tolkin' (qv), 'Corbin Bernsen' (qv), 'Elizabeth Daily' (qv), 'Albert Brooks (I)' (qv), and 'Crispin Glover' (qv).
- In 1955, Betty was the honorary mayor of Hollywood, California.
- Received the Women's International Center (WIC) Living Legacy Award in 1988.
- Per her autobiography, White was named "Betty" at birth not "Elizabeth" because her parents did not want her to be saddled with any of the nicknames and derivatives of Elizabeth -- i.e. Beth, Liza, Ellie, etc.
- Attended the same school as 'Jamie Luner' (qv).
- Is of German and Greek ancestry.
- Was portraying the conniving, gold-digging Ellen Harper, the niece of 'Rue McClanahan' (qv), who played the prudish Aunt Fran, On _"Mama's Family" (1983)_ (qv) at the same time as they were working together on _"The Golden Girls" (1985)_ (qv) in almost opposite roles.
- Played the same character, Rose Nylund, on four different TV series: _"The Golden Palace" (1992)_ (qv), _"The Golden Girls" (1985)_ (qv), _"Nurses" (1991)_ (qv), and _"Empty Nest" (1988)_ (qv).