Jan. 17th, 1922
Oak Park, Illinois, USA
Betty White's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2012 - Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
2010 - You Again
2009 - The Proposal
2005 - The Third Wish
2003 - Bringing Down the House
1999 - The Story of Us
1999 - Lake Placid
1998 - Hard Rain
1998 - Holy Man
1962 - Advise & Consent
Guest TV Roles
Sue Ann Nivens
Herself - Guest
Herself - Wolverine Auditionee
Herself - Guest
Although best known as the devious Sue Ann Nivens on the classic sitcom "Mary Tyler Moore" (1970) and the ditzy Rose Nylund on "The Golden Girls" (1985), Betty White had been in television for a long, long time before those two shows, having had her own series, "Life with Elizabeth" (1952) in 1952. The widow of TV game-show host Allen Ludden, she has been inducted into the Television Hall of Fame and is known for her tireless efforts on behalf of animals.
- 'James L. Brooks' (qv) offered her the role of 'Helen Hunt (I)' (qv)'s mother in _As Good as It Gets (1997)_ (qv). She turned it down because she objected to the treatment of the dog in the film.
- Moved to Los Angeles when she was only two years old.
- Was portraying the conniving, gold-digging Ellen Harper, the niece of 'Rue McClanahan' (qv), who played the prudish Aunt Fran, On _"Mama's Family" (1983)_ (qv) at the same time as they were working together on _"The Golden Girls" (1985)_ (qv) in almost opposite roles.
- Beloved frequent guest celebrity/panelist on numerous game shows, including every version of _"Password" (1961)_ (qv), _"The Hollywood Squares" (1965)_ (qv), _"Match Game 73" (1973)_ (qv), _"The $10,000 Pyramid" (1973)_ (qv), and countless others.
- In 1955, Betty was the honorary mayor of Hollywood, California.
- Made several appearances on _"Santa Barbara" (1984)_ (qv) as part of a contest.
- Is an avid animal welfare activist and works with a number of organizations; including the Los Angeles Zoo Commission, the Morris Animal Foundation, and Actors & Others for Animals.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1988. The star is next to her late husband, 'Allen Ludden' (qv),'s star.