50 (passed away Aug. 9th, 2008)
Oct. 5th, 1957
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bernie Mac's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Old Dogs
2008 - Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
2008 - Soul Men
2007 - Pride
2007 - Ocean's Thirteen
2007 - Transformers
2005 - Guess Who
2004 - Ocean's Twelve
2004 - Mr 3000
2003 - Head of State
2003 - Bad Santa
2003 - Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
2001 - Ocean's Eleven
2001 - What's the Worst That Could Happen?
2000 - The Original Kings of Comedy
1999 - Life
1998 - The Players Club
1997 - Booty Call
1997 - How to Be a Player
1996 - Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood
1995 - Friday
1994 - House Party 3
1994 - Above The Rim
1993 - Who's the Man?
1992 - Mo' Money
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Bernard Jeffrey McCollough was born in Chicago in 1957. He grew up in Chicago, in a rougher neighborhood than most others, with a large family living under one roof. This situation provided him with a great insight into his comedy, as his family, and the situations surrounding them would be what dominated his comedy. Mac worked in the Regal Theater, and performed in Chicago parks in his younger days. He became a professional comedian in 1977, at the age of 19. He refused to change his image for television and films, and therefore was not very well known for most of the eighties. In 1992 he made his film debut with a small part with Mo' Money (1992). This started a plethora of small parts in a string of movies, mostly comedies, including Who's the Man? (1993), House Party 3 (1994) and The Walking Dead (1995). 1995 proved to be a turning point in his career. He did an HBO Special called "Midnight Mac" (1995), and took a part as Pastor Clever in the Chris Tucker comedy Friday (1995). Bernie Mac developed a cult following due to the movie and had many small parts since. In 1996 he starred in the memorable Spike Lee movie Get on the Bus (1996), and was very funny in Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood (1996). About this time he had a recurring role in the TV series "Moesha" (1996). Bernie Mac's star was slowly rising from this point. His next couple of movie parts were more substantial, including How to Be a Player (1997) and The Players Club (1998). In 1999 Bernie Mac got his most high profile part up to that point in the film Life (1999/I) starring Eddie Murphy (I).
The new century started a new era for the brash Chicago comedian. He was a featured comedian in The Original Kings of Comedy (2000). This performance made him more of a household name, and led to many more major parts. In 2001 he played Martin Lawrence's uncle in What's the Worst That Could Happen? (2001) and later that year, was in the star studded remake of Ocean's Eleven (2001). However his biggest success was "The Bernie Mac Show" (2001), which debuted in 2001 to instant acclaim.
Bernie Mac was a comedian that refused to change his image for Hollywood and said that his life in Chicago was who he was and there was nothing that could change that. He was a mature comedian who was very intelligent and very engaging in his TV, movie and stand-up appearances.
- Is mentioned in 'Christina Aguilera' (qv)'s single Dirrty.
- Was hospitalized with pneumonia on August 1, 2008. Rumors of his deterioration, as well as false rumors of his death from the disease, spread widely, although his publicist Danica Smith insisted that he would make a full recovery. Sadly, Mac had actually taken a turn for the worse and died August 9, 2008 from complications from pneumonia.
- Sampled on Prince's song "Pope" from his appearance on Russel Simmon's Def Comedy Jam. Prince's song can be found on his 1993 album "The Hits".
- Was a Chicago White Sox fan.
- He used to be a boxer.
- February 2005 - revealed that he had suffered from sarcoidosis, an inflammatory lung disease, since 1983. He said it had no effect on his daily life.
- Is seen getting a pedicure in both _Ocean's Twelve (2004)_ (qv) and _Bad Santa (2003)_ (qv).
- Has the rare distinction of being in two movies that opened on the same day in the U.S. - _Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008)_ (qv) and _Soul Men (2008)_ (qv) (November 7, 2008).