Dec. 11th, 1962
Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Ben Browder's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1991 - A Kiss Before Dying
1990 - Memphis Belle
Guest TV Roles
Bat Lash (Voiced)
Ben Browder was born in Memphis, Tennessee. He attended Myers Park High School in Charlotte, North Carolina, earned a BS in psychology at Furman University, and then went on to study drama at Central School of Speech and Drama in London, England, where he met his wife, Francesca Buller. As of 2002, he resides in Australia, where the SciFi television series "Farscape" (1999) is filmed. He and Buller have two children, whose names and ages are not disclosed to the press.
After several appearances on stage, including traditional Shakespeare, Browder garnered a few minor appearances in feature films, including a small part as a rookie captain in Memphis Belle (1990) and the role of a short-lived boyfriend in A Kiss Before Dying (1991), with Sean Young (I) and Matt Dillon (I). He was first widely exposed to the American and Canadian television viewing audience as the recurring character of "Sam" on the series "Party of Five" (1994). In 1999, Jim Henson (I) productions teamed with the SciFi channel to produce "Farscape" (1999), where Browder was cast to play the main character, American astronaut John Crichton.
- Graduate of Furman University in Greenville, SC
- His favorite movie is _Jeremiah Johnson (1972)_ (qv), the concept of which was warped into an episode of his show, _"Farscape" (1999)_ (qv).
- He was the producers original choice for role of Major John Sheppard in _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv), but was unable to take the role due to filming commitments to the Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars mini-series. He was later cast as Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell in _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv) as the shows new lead actor following the departure of 'Richard Dean Anderson' (qv).
- Two of the series in which he has starred have featured an advanced alien race called the Ancients: _"Farscape" (1999)_ (qv) and _"Stargate SG-1" (1997)_ (qv).
- Ben met his wife, 'Francesca Buller' (qv), while studying at London's Central School of Speech and Drama in 1989.
- He is the only actor to appear in all 88 episodes of _"Farscape" (1999)_ (qv).
- He is a huge science fiction fan.
- Was considered for the role of Major Hayes on _"Enterprise" (2001)_ (qv).