Oct. 24th, 1960
San Francisco, California, USA
B.D. Wong's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
B.D. Wong was born and raised in San Francisco, California, USA. He made his Broadway debut in "M. Butterfly". He is the only actor to be honored with the Tony Award, Drama Desk Award, Outer Critics Circle Award, Clarence Derwent Award, and Theater World Award for the same performance. He starred in the television series "All-American Girl" (1994), and has made guest appearances on "Sesame Street" (1969) and "The X Files" (1993). He was on the off-Broadway musical revival of "As Thousands Cheer." and followed with a critically acclaimed performance as Linus in the revival of "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown," returned to SVU, and is now starring in the revival of Sondheim's "Pacific Overtures".
- Graduated from San Francisco State University.
- Won Broadway's 1988 Tony Award as Best Actor (Featured Role - Play) for creating the role of Song Liling in "M. Butterfly."
- In 1999, Wong and his then-partner, Richie Jackson, hired a surrogate mother to bear their child. Wong provided the sperm and Jackson's sister provided the ovum. The mother gave birth to a set of male twins on May 28, 2000. One, Boaz Dov Wong, died at birth as a result of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome; the other, Jackson Foo Wong, was adopted by the couple. The couple later broke up however they still share joint custody of Jackson Foo. Wong later wrote a book about the experience entitled Following Foo: the Electronic Adventures of the Chestnut Man.
- He and his partner welcomed their son, Jackson Foo Wong, on 28 May, 2000.
- Nominated for the 1989 Helen Hayes Award for his work in "M. Butterfly" (Outstanding Lead Actor, Non-Resident Production).
- His was one the morphed faces in the Michael Jackson "Black or White" video.
- Chose to go by his initials while playing his breakthrough role, M. Butterfly. The title character's gender is ambiguous, and he decided that using his initials instead of his full name would make it difficult to guess whether he was a man or a woman, thus adding to the androgyny of the character he was playing.
- His former partner is 'Richie Jackson' (qv)