Mar. 11th, 1989
Leningrad, USSR [now St. Petersburg, Russia]
Anton Yelchin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Only Lovers Left Alive
2009 - Terminator: Salvation
2009 - Star Trek
2009 - New York, I Love You
2008 - Middle of Nowhere
2007 - Charlie Bartlett
2006 - Alpha Dog
2004 - House of D
2001 - Hearts in Atlantis
2001 - Delivering Milo
2001 - Along Came a Spider
2001 - 15 Minutes
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Davis Bishop (Voiced)
Anton Yelchin is an American actor best known for starring as Bobby Garfield opposite Anthony Hopkins in Hearts in Atlantis (2001), and as Tommy opposite Robin Williams (I) in the House of D (2004).
He was born Anton Viktorovich Yelchin on March 11, 1989, in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg), Russia, Soviet Union. His father, Viktor Yelchin, and his mother, Irina, were a successful pair of professional figure-skaters in Leningrad, and his grandfather was also a professional sportsman, a soccer player. Yelchin was only a 6-month-old baby when he emigrated to the United States, where his parents eventually developed coaching careers.
Young Anton Yelchin demonstrated his strong personality from the early age of 4, he declined his parent's tutelage in figure skating, because he was fond of acting, and he knew exactly what he wanted to do in his life. Since his school years, he attended acting class in Los Angeles, and eventually he was noticed by casting agents. In 2000, at the age of 10, Yelchin made his debut on television, appearing as Robbie Edelstein in _ER: Be Still My Heart (2000 TV episode)_.
At the age of 11, Yelchin shot to fame as Bobby Garfield co-starring opposite Anthony Hopkins in Hearts in Atlantis (2001), and earning himself the 2002 Young Artist Award for Best Performance in a Feature Film as Leading Young Actor. Over the course of his short acting career, he already played roles in more than twenty feature films and television productions. He is billed as Pavel Chekov in the latest installment of the 'Star Trek' franchise, Star Trek (2009).
Outside of his acting profession, Anton Yelchin loves reading, he is also fond of playing chess. He writes music and performs with a band where he also plays piano and guitar. He is living in Los Angeles, California.
- Loves playing chess and reading.
- He and 'Walter Koenig (I)' (qv), who preceded him as Pavel Chekov, are both of Russian and Jewish ancestry.
- Dad, Victor, mom, Irina.
- Is an only child.
- One of People Magazine's 100 Most Beautiful People 2009.
- His parents were both well-known figure skaters in the Soviet Union, considered national celebrities as stars of the Leningrad Ice Ballet for 15 years. The two qualified for the 1972 Winter Olympics, but because they were Jewish, were not permitted to attend by the Soviet authorities.
- Hope Davis has played his on-screen mother in two movies: Hearts in Atlantis (2001) and Charlie Bartlett (2008).
- Was ranked #12 on Moviefone's 'The 25 Hottest Actors Under 25'(2008).