Jan. 31st, 1959
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Anthony LaPaglia's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
LaPaglia currently lives in Santa Monica, California, USA. He has said that he adopted an American accent to help him get acting work after moving to the US. His current accent is neither distinctly American nor is it Australian, but rather a combination of both. According to an offhand remark by LaPaglia, he has employed an American accent since 1982.
LaPaglia's first marriage was to actress Cherie Michan. He is currently married to actress Gia Carides, whom he met at a party; the two starred in the 1994 (Ben Lewin) Australian movie Paperback Romance (a.k.a. Lucky Break) and married in 1998. Their daughter Bridget was born in January 2003.
- Although often cast as New York tough guys, few people know that he was actually born and raised in Australia. He has said that the only internationally successful Australian actor at the time he began acting was 'Mel Gibson (I)' (qv), who had lost his Australian accent, so he did the same. Today, looking at all the hot young Australian actors who have kept their native accents but can use other dialects in their films, he says he regrets having dropped his accent.
- Won Broadway's 1998 Tony Award as Best Actor (Play) for a revival of 'Arthur Miller (I)' (qv)'s "A View from the Bridge."
- Son of Maria LaPaglia (secretary) and Eddie LaPaglia (auto mechanic).
- Brother-in-law of 'Zoe Carides' (qv), 'Ursula Brooks' (qv) and Danielle Carides.
- Welcomed daughter, with 'Gia Carides' (qv), named Bridget born January 2003.
- Plays in goal for Hollywood United Football Team.
- Older brother of actor 'Jonathan LaPaglia' (qv) and Michael LaPaglia.
- Filmed scenes playing as Chicago gangster 'Al Capone' (qv) for the 2001 'Tom Hanks' (qv) drama _Road to Perdition (2002)_ (qv), but all the scenes were cut out.