Jan. 31st, 1959
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Anthony LaPaglia's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
LaPaglia currently lives in Santa Monica, California, USA. He has said that he adopted an American accent to help him get acting work after moving to the US. His current accent is neither distinctly American nor is it Australian, but rather a combination of both. According to an offhand remark by LaPaglia, he has employed an American accent since 1982.
LaPaglia's first marriage was to actress Cherie Michan. He is currently married to actress Gia Carides, whom he met at a party; the two starred in the 1994 (Ben Lewin) Australian movie Paperback Romance (a.k.a. Lucky Break) and married in 1998. Their daughter Bridget was born in January 2003.
- Starred with 'Debi Mazar' (qv) in _So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993)_ (qv) as a love interest, then again in _Empire Records (1995)_ (qv) as a love interest yet again.
- Last name is pronounced La Pah-lia
- Won Broadway's 1998 Tony Award as Best Actor (Play) for a revival of 'Arthur Miller (I)' (qv)'s "A View from the Bridge."
- Although often cast as New York tough guys, few people know that he was actually born and raised in Australia. He has said that the only internationally successful Australian actor at the time he began acting was 'Mel Gibson (I)' (qv), who had lost his Australian accent, so he did the same. Today, looking at all the hot young Australian actors who have kept their native accents but can use other dialects in their films, he says he regrets having dropped his accent.
- He is part owner of an Australian Soccer club called Sydney FC (Football Club)
- He has his date of birth tattooed on his left forearm in Roman Numerals: I XXXI MCMLIX.
- Plays in goal for Hollywood United Football Team.
- Welcomed daughter, with 'Gia Carides' (qv), named Bridget born January 2003.