Nov. 12th, 1982
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Anne Hathaway's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Anne Jacqueline Hathaway (born November 12, 1982) is an American actress. After several stage roles, she appeared in the 1999 television series Get Real.
Hathaway was born in Brooklyn, New York. Her father, Gerald Thomas Hathaway, is a lawyer, and her mother, Kathleen Ann "Kate" (née McCauley), is an actress who inspired Hathaway to follow in her footsteps. Hathaway's mother played Fantine in the first U.S. tour of Les Misérables. When she was six years old, the family moved to Millburn, New Jersey, which is where she grew up. Hathaway has an older brother, Michael, and a younger brother, Thomas. She is of mostly Irish and French ancestry, with distant Native American and German roots.
Hathaway came to prominence after playing Mia Thermopolis in the Disney film The Princess Diaries (2001) and in its 2004 sequel as a young girl who discovers she's a member of royalty, opposite 'Julie Andrews' and 'Heather Matarazzo'.
She also had a notable role in Nicholas Nickleby (2002) opposite 'Charlie Hunnam' and 'Jamie Bell', and a starring role in Ella Enchanted (2004). A former top-ranking soprano in New York, Hathaway was reportedly a front-runner for the role of "Christine" in the 2004 The Phantom of the Opera (2004). However, due to scheduling conflicts with The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), she couldn't take the role, which was later given to newcomer 'Emmy Rossum'.
Hathaway soon started to move away from family-friendly films. Following The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), she appeared topless in the films Havoc (2005) opposite 'Josh Peck' and Brokeback Mountain (2005) opposite 'Heath Ledger' and 'Jake Gyllenhaal'. Her desire to break out of her Princess Diaries image parallels that of her one-time co-star, Julie Andrews, who went topless in the film S.O.B. (1981) in order to break away from the image she created from her 1960s musicals. In interviews, Hathaway said that doing family-friendly films didn't mean she was similar to their characters or mean she objected to appearing nude in other films.
Her upcoming films are The Devil Wears Prada (2006) opposite 'Meryl Streep', and Becoming Jane (2007), in which she'll play a young 'Jane Austen'.
- Ranked #6 by InStyle magazine as one of the 10 most stylish stars in Hollywood (2007).
- After the release of _The Princess Diaries (2001)_ (qv), Anne's hometown newspaper, The Item, printed an article comparing Anne to 'Greta Garbo' (qv) because of the paper's inability to get an interview with Anne (who was busy making movies and living in LA at the time).
- In July 2006 she spent a week in Nicaragua helping vaccinate kids there against Hepatitis A. She called the experience "..an eye opener" for her.
- Was not available for role of Christine Daae in _The Phantom of the Opera (2004)_ (qv) due to contractual obligation to Disney for _The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004)_ (qv).. The two movies had overlapping filming schedules.
- Has stated that she would only appear nude/topless in a film if she felt it would add significance to it. She appeared topless for the first time in _Havoc (2005)_ (qv) and then in the same year in _Brokeback Mountain (2005)_ (qv).
- In his column "Just for Variety" published on October 25, 2000 in Daily Variety, columnist 'Army Archerd' (qv) quotes 'Garry Marshall' (qv), the director of _The Princess Diaries (2001)_ (qv): "The multi-talented Hathaway is a combination 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv), 'Audrey Hepburn' (qv) and 'Judy Garland (I)' (qv)."
- Favorite actors are 'Joaquin Phoenix' (qv) and 'Ralph Fiennes' (qv).
- Won the Clarence Derwent Award for her performance as Lili in the City Center Encores! production of Carnival (2002)