Apr. 28th, 1941
Valsjöbyn, Jämtlands län, Sweden
Ann-Margret's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Swedish born singer, with red hair who started her Hollywood career in quiet roles that usually went unnoticed. She was discovered by the legendary George Burns (1896-1996), when she was just a cabaret singer, and was often typecast as a singing sexpot. In the early 1970s, she suffered a very bad fall that nearly ended her Hollywood career, but she fought back to be cast as a sexy older woman type. Twice nominated for an Academy Award: for Carnal Knowledge (1971), and Tommy (1975).
- 1972: Survived a dramatic 22-foot fall from a stage in a Lake Tahoe, NV, concert.
- She formed a lifelong bond of friendship with 'Elvis Presley' (qv) in their first pairing in _Viva Las Vegas (1964)_ (qv). It was kept alive by Elvis' habit of sending a bouquet of flowers to all of her stage-show appearances, until he died in 1977. She reveals her romance with Elvis in her autobiography.
- Attended Northwestern University (Evanston, IL).
- Turned down the leading role in _Cat Ballou (1965)_ (qv), which eventually went to 'Jane Fonda' (qv).
- 8/19/2000: She suffered three broken ribs and a fractured shoulder when she was thrown off a motorcycle she was driving in rural Minnesota.
- Rode a 500cc Triumph T100C Tiger motorcycle in _The Swinger (1966)_ (qv) and the same model fitted with a non-standard electric starter in her stage show. A keen motorcyclist, she was featured in Triumph Motorcycles' official advertisements in the '60s--for obvious reasons!.
- Is not a natural redhead. That was 'Sydney Guilaroff' (qv)'s idea. The legendary hairdresser was also responsible for turning 'Lucille Ball' (qv) into a redhead.
- Toured Vietnam with the USO during the Vietnam war.