Jun. 4th, 1975
Los Angeles, California, USA
Angelina Jolie's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Maleficent
2010 - Smash His Camera
2010 - Salt
2008 - Wanted
2008 - Changeling
2008 - Kung Fu Panda
2007 - A Mighty Heart
2007 - Beowulf
2006 - The Good Shepherd
2005 - Mr. & Mrs. Smith
2004 - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
2004 - Alexander
2004 - Shark Tale
2004 - Taking Lives
2003 - Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life
2002 - Life or Something Like It
2001 - Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
2001 - Original Sin
2000 - Gone in Sixty Seconds
1999 - Pushing Tin
1999 - Girl, Interrupted
1999 - The Bone Collector
1998 - Playing by Heart
1998 - Hell's Kitchen
1997 - Playing God
1996 - Foxfire
1996 - Mojave Moon
1995 - Hackers
1995 - Without Evidence
1993 - Cyborg 2
1982 - Lookin' to Get Out
Guest TV Roles
Herself (segment "Angelina")
Angelina Jolie (born Angelina Jolie Voight; June 4, 1975) is an American actress, film director, screenwriter, and author.
Born in Los Angeles, California, Jolie is the daughter of actors 'Jon Voight' and Marcheline Bertrand. She is the sister of actor 'James Haven', niece of singer-songwriter Chip Taylor, and goddaughter of actors 'Jacqueline Bisset' and 'Maximilian Schell'. On her father's side, Jolie is of German and Slovak descent, and on her mother's side, she is of primarily French Canadian, Dutch, and German ancestry. Like her mother, Jolie has stated that she is part Iroquois, although her only known indigenous ancestor was a Huron woman born in 1649.
After her parents' separation in 1976, Jolie and her brother lived with their mother, who had abandoned her acting ambitions to focus on raising her children. As a child, Jolie often watched movies with her mother and explained this had inspired her interest in acting; she stated that she was not influenced by her father's career. When she was six years old, her mother and stepfather, filmmaker Bill Day, moved the family to Palisades, New York; they returned to Los Angeles five years later. She then decided she wanted to act and enrolled at the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute, where she trained for two years and appeared in several stage productions.
Jolie made her screen debut as a child alongside her father, Jon Voight, in Lookin' to Get Out (1982), but her film career began in earnest a decade later with the low-budget production Cyborg 2 (1993). Her first leading role in a major film was in the cyber-thriller Hackers (1995). She starred in the critically acclaimed biographical television films George Wallace (1997) and Gia (1998), and won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in the drama Girl, Interrupted (1999).
Jolie achieved wide fame after her portrayal of the video game heroine Lara Croft in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001), and established herself among the highest-paid actresses in Hollywood with the sequel The Cradle of Life (2003). She continued her action star career with Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005), Wanted (2008), Salt (2010) and The Tourist (2010)—her biggest live-action commercial successes to date with international revenues of US$478 million, $341 million, $293 million and $278 million respectively—and she received further critical acclaim for her performances in the dramas A Mighty Heart (2007) and Changeling (2008), which earned her a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Actress. Jolie made her directorial debut with the wartime drama In the Land of Blood and Honey (2011).
She has received an Academy Award, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and three Golden Globe Awards, and was named Hollywood's highest-paid actress by Forbes in 2009, 2011, and 2013. Jolie promotes humanitarian causes, and is noted for her work with refugees as a Special Envoy and former Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). She has been cited as the world's "most beautiful" woman by various media outlets, a title for which she has received substantial publicity.
Divorced from actors 'Jonny Lee Miller' and 'Billy Bob Thornton'.
In early 2005, Jolie was involved in a well-publicized Hollywood scandal when she was accused of being the reason for the divorce of actors 'Brad Pitt' and 'Jennifer Aniston'. She and Pitt were alleged to have started an affair during filming of Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005). She denied this on several occasions, but later admitted that they "fell in love" on the set. She explained in 2005, "To be intimate with a married man, when my own father cheated on my mother, is not something I could forgive. I could not look at myself in the morning if I did that. I wouldn't be attracted to a man who would cheat on his wife". Jolie and Pitt did not publicly comment on the nature of their relationship until January 2006, when Jolie confirmed to People that she was pregnant with Pitt's child. Pitt and Jolie announced their engagement in (April 2012), after seven years together. The couple—dubbed "Brangelina" by the entertainment media—are the subject of worldwide media coverage.
Jolie and Pitt have three biological children and three adopted children.
- Has the letter "H" tattooed on the inside of her left wrist, which is a reference to two people she is close to who have this letter in their names: her brother, 'James Haven (I)' (qv), and 'Timothy Hutton' (qv). She got the tattoo when she was dating Timothy but since their break-up she now says it's only for James.
- In 2006, after the birth of her daughter Shiloh, she sold the first pictures of her newborn for $4,100,000. She later donated the profits to charity.
- Ranked #3 in the 2008 Forbes The Celebrity 100 list.
- In role as goodwill ambassador, visited Tham Hin refugee camp in Thailand, May 2002, to check on conditions of 9,000 refugees from bordering Myanmar.
- Has tattoos of the coordinates representing the birth countries of each of her kids (she even has the coordinates of France tattooed on her arm twice, one each for Knox and Viv), which cover up the 'Billy Bob Thornton' (qv) tattoo (June 2006).
- She is the woman most American males would like to date on New Year's Eve, according to a survey by movie rental chain Blockbuster Inc. Results of the survey showed her in the top spot with 35 percent of respondents saying she would be their number one pick for a hypothetical New Year's Eve candle-lit dinner. Rival star 'Catherine Zeta-Jones' (qv) gained second spot in the online survey conducted by Blockbuster November 11-24, 2003. The survey had 31,969 responses.
- Consulted with real-life FBI profiler 'Robert K. Ressler' (qv) for her role in _Taking Lives (2004)_ (qv).
- The first-ever male to hold Jolie in his arms was 'Charley Boorman' (qv). He'd earlier served as a pageboy at the wedding of Jolie's parents 'Jon Voight' (qv) and 'Marcheline Bertrand' (qv) during the _Deliverance (1972)_ (qv) shoot, and later happened to be present during the delivery of Jolie. Boorman was just 8-years-old and Jolie was but an infant. Today (2008) Boorman quips that his epitaph should read: "I was the first man to get his hands on Angelina Jolie".