Jun. 1st, 1926
Mount Airy, North Carolina, USA
Andy Griffith's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Waitress
2001 - Daddy and Them
1996 - Spy Hard
1985 - Rustlers' Rhapsody
1957 - A Face in the Crowd
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Team Captain
Andy Griffith is best known for his starring roles in two very popular TV series, "The Andy Griffith Show" (1960) and "Matlock" (1986).
Griffith earned a degree in music from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In the 1950s he became a regular on the Ed Sullivan Show and the Steve Allen Show. He was featured in the Broadway play "No Time for Sergeants" (1955) for which he received a Tony nomination, and he later appeared in the film version. His film debut was in the provocative and prophetic A Face in the Crowd (1957), in which Griffith gave a performance that has been described as stunning.
On "The Andy Griffith Show" (1960), Griffith portrayed a folksy small-town sheriff who shared simple heartfelt wisdom. The show was one of the most popular TV series in history. It generated some successful spin-offs, and the original is still seen in re-runs to this day.
Griffith created his own production company in 1972, which produced several movies and TV series. In 1981, he was nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal in Murder in Texas (1981) (TV). In 1983 Griffith was stricken with Guillain-Barre syndrome, but he recovered after rehabilitation.
In 1986 he produced and starred in the very successful TV series "Matlock" (1986). The show spawned numerous TV movies as well. When he accepted the People's Choice Award for this show, he said this was his favorite role.
- Taught English at Goldsboro High School in Goldsboro, North Carolina for a period of time.
- (1983) Suffered from Guillain-Barre Syndrome and couldn't walk for 7 months.
- Before he was an actor, he was a comedian and a singer.
- In 1987 when he accepted the People's Choice Award, he said he was happy it was for _"Matlock" (1986)_ (qv). He said that _"Matlock" (1986)_ (qv) was his favorite character to date.
- Before Andy's parents had purchased a house, he lived with relatives. Without a crib or bed, Andy slept in drawers for a few months, just a couple of years after he was born.
- He and 'Marilyn Monroe' (qv) were born on the same day, June 1, 1926.
- Biography in: "Who's Who in Comedy" by Ronald L. Smith, pg. 195-196. New York: Facts on File, 1992. ISBN 0816023387
- At least 5 actors named him as their favorite actor or comedian: 'Jack Dodson' (qv), 'Aneta Corsaut' (qv), 'Betty Lynn' (qv), 'Arlene Golonka' (qv) and 'Don Knotts' (qv), all guest starred with him on _"Matlock" (1986)_ (qv).