Jun. 1st, 1926
Mount Airy, North Carolina, USA
Andy Griffith's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Waitress
2001 - Daddy and Them
1996 - Spy Hard
1985 - Rustlers' Rhapsody
1957 - A Face in the Crowd
Guest TV Roles
Andy Griffith is best known for his starring roles in two very popular TV series, "The Andy Griffith Show" (1960) and "Matlock" (1986).
Griffith earned a degree in music from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In the 1950s he became a regular on the Ed Sullivan Show and the Steve Allen Show. He was featured in the Broadway play "No Time for Sergeants" (1955) for which he received a Tony nomination, and he later appeared in the film version. His film debut was in the provocative and prophetic A Face in the Crowd (1957), in which Griffith gave a performance that has been described as stunning.
On "The Andy Griffith Show" (1960), Griffith portrayed a folksy small-town sheriff who shared simple heartfelt wisdom. The show was one of the most popular TV series in history. It generated some successful spin-offs, and the original is still seen in re-runs to this day.
Griffith created his own production company in 1972, which produced several movies and TV series. In 1981, he was nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal in Murder in Texas (1981) (TV). In 1983 Griffith was stricken with Guillain-Barre syndrome, but he recovered after rehabilitation.
In 1986 he produced and starred in the very successful TV series "Matlock" (1986). The show spawned numerous TV movies as well. When he accepted the People's Choice Award for this show, he said this was his favorite role.
- His two children are adopted.
- He and 'Marilyn Monroe' (qv) were born on the same day, June 1, 1926.
- Two children, Andy and Dixie, from his first marriage to 'Barbara Edwards'
- In 1987 when he accepted the People's Choice Award, he said he was happy it was for _"Matlock" (1986)_ (qv). He said that _"Matlock" (1986)_ (qv) was his favorite character to date.
- The town of Mayberry on "The Andy Griffith Show" is based upon Andy Griffith's hometown of Mt. Airy, North Carolina. By the same token, the characters on the show will commonly mention the "sister city" of "Mount Pilot". Mount Pilot does exist, though it's really called Pilot Mountain, and has the same basic geographical positioning to Mt. Airy as Mayberry does to Mount Pilot. The towns in both reality and the series are about 15 miles apart. Both towns (in both universes) are north of Winston-Salem, North Carolina near the North Carolina-Virginia border.
- Was on same stage with 'Elvis Presley' (qv) in _"The Steve Allen Show" (1956)_ (qv).
- Best known by the public for his starring roles as Andy Taylor in _"The Andy Griffith Show" (1960)_ (qv) and the title character in _"Matlock" (1986)_ (qv).
- Actors 'Nancy Stafford' (qv) and 'Clarence Gilyard Jr.' (qv) were said to be huge fans of their mentor's first series, _"The Andy Griffith Show" (1960)_ (qv), as little children. Years later, they both auditioned and won the roles alongside him on _"Matlock" (1986)_ (qv), within a couple years of each other. Stafford replaced 'Linda Purl' (qv) in 1987, and Gilyard replaced 'Kene Holliday' (qv) in 1989.