Jan. 15th, 1947
Portland, Maine, USA
Andrea Martin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
A veteran of television, stage, and film, Andrea Martin recently won the Tony, Drama Desk, and Outer Critics Awards for her show-stopping performance in the Broadway revival of Pippin. Her theater credits include the legendary Toronto production of Godspell in which she co-starred with Victor Garber as well as future collaborators and SCTV alumni Martin Short, Eugene Levy, and Dave Thomas. On SCTV, Martin not only earned two Emmys for her writing, but also created some of television’s most indelible sketch comedy characters including the hilarious leopard-skin clad Edith Prickley.
Martin has made memorable guest appearances on hit shows such as The Simpsons, 30 Rock, and Nurse Jackie. Her film appearances include The Producers, Wag the Dog, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. She will be starring in the American premiere of James Lapine's Act One in the spring of 2014. Martin continues to tour with her one-woman show, Andrea Martin: Final Days! Everything Must Go! Harper Collins is publishing her book of humorous essays in the fall of 2014.
- Wrote/Performed in critically acclaimed one-woman show in Los Angeles and New York entitled "Nude, Nude, Totally Nude".
- Won two Emmy Awards for Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program in 1982 and 1983.
- Her former brother-in-law is actor and comic, 'Martin Short (I)' (qv).
- Performed in children's theatre and summer stock before enrolling in Boston's Emerson College where she majored in theatre and speech.
- According to weekly Variety she has been cast as Frau Brucher in the Broadway bound Young Frankenstein 2007.
- Ex-sister-in-law of 'Nancy Dolman' (qv).
- Andrea Martin is of Armenian descent - her grandfather's last name was Papazian when he immigrated in the early 1900s from Ottoman Turkey. When he settled his family in Maine, he changed the last name from Papazian to Martin.
- 1992 Tony Award for "My Favorite Year"