May. 24th, 1953
London, England, UK
6' 2 1/2"
Alfred Molina's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Alfred Molina was born in 1953 in London, England, of a Spanish father and an Italian mother. He studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London. His stage work includes two major Royal National Theatre productions, Tennessee Williams' "The Night of the Iguana" (as Shannon) and David Mamet's "Speed the Plow" (as Fox), plus a splendid performance in Yasmina Reza's "Art" (his Broadway debut), for which he received a Tony Award nomination in 1998. He made his film debut in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) and got a good part in Letter to Brezhnev (1985) (as a Soviet sailor who spends a night in Liverpool), but his movie breakthrough came two years later when he played--superbly--Kenneth Halliwell, the tragic lover of playwright Joe Orton (I), in Stephen Frears' Prick Up Your Ears (1987). He was also outstanding in Enchanted April (1992), The Perez Family (1995) (as a Cuban immigrant), Anna Karenina (1997) (as Levin) and Chocolat (2000) (as the narrow-minded mayor of a small French town circa 1950s, who tries to shut down a chocolate shop).
- Was chosen to play Doc Ock after _Spider-Man 2 (2004)_ (qv) director 'Sam Raimi' (qv) and his wife watched _Frida (2002)_ (qv).
- Speaks Spanish and Italian fluently.
- Auditioned for the part of Rimmer in _"Red Dwarf" (1988)_ (qv).
- Was twice nominated for Broadway's Tony Award: in 1998 as Best Actor (Play) for "Art," and in 2004 as Best Actor (Musical) for portraying Tevye in a revival of "Fiddler on the Roof."
- He has one daughter, Rachel (b. 1980) from a previous relationship. He also has 2 stepsons, from his wife Jill's first marriage.
- Is a huge fan of jazz.
- He gained a good amount of weight to play the huge 'Diego Rivera (I)' (qv) in _Frida (2002)_ (qv) and then slimmed down to play Dr. Octopus in _Spider-Man 2 (2004)_ (qv). Alfred regretted that due to his part as Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof", he again was forced to regain his bulk.
- Has been turned into a Lego mini-figure twice: first for his role as Doctor Octopus in _Spider-Man 2 (2004)_ (qv), and again for his role as Satipo in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).