May. 24th, 1953
London, England, UK
6' 2 1/2"
Alfred Molina's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Alfred Molina was born in 1953 in London, England, of a Spanish father and an Italian mother. He studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London. His stage work includes two major Royal National Theatre productions, Tennessee Williams' "The Night of the Iguana" (as Shannon) and David Mamet's "Speed the Plow" (as Fox), plus a splendid performance in Yasmina Reza's "Art" (his Broadway debut), for which he received a Tony Award nomination in 1998. He made his film debut in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) and got a good part in Letter to Brezhnev (1985) (as a Soviet sailor who spends a night in Liverpool), but his movie breakthrough came two years later when he played--superbly--Kenneth Halliwell, the tragic lover of playwright Joe Orton (I), in Stephen Frears' Prick Up Your Ears (1987). He was also outstanding in Enchanted April (1992), The Perez Family (1995) (as a Cuban immigrant), Anna Karenina (1997) (as Levin) and Chocolat (2000) (as the narrow-minded mayor of a small French town circa 1950s, who tries to shut down a chocolate shop).
- Considers _Not Without My Daughter (1991)_ (qv) and _Enchanted April (1992)_ (qv) his favorite roles.
- Speaks Spanish and Italian fluently.
- He gained a good amount of weight to play the huge 'Diego Rivera (I)' (qv) in _Frida (2002)_ (qv) and then slimmed down to play Dr. Octopus in _Spider-Man 2 (2004)_ (qv). Alfred regretted that due to his part as Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof", he again was forced to regain his bulk.
- Nominated for the Tony for best actor in 1998 for "Art".
- He has one daughter, Rachel (b. 1980) from a previous relationship. He also has 2 stepsons, from his wife Jill's first marriage.
- Was chosen to play Doc Ock after _Spider-Man 2 (2004)_ (qv) director 'Sam Raimi' (qv) and his wife watched _Frida (2002)_ (qv).
- Is a huge fan of jazz.
- Although he himself is fully an Englishman, Alfred's father was a Spanish waiter and his mother was an Italian housekeeper. His mixed background has allowed him to play characters of almost any heritage.