Nov. 8th, 1952
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Alfre Woodard's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Annabelle
2008 - The Family That Preys
2008 - American Violet
2006 - Take the Lead
2005 - Beauty Shop
2004 - The Forgotten
2003 - Radio
2003 - The Core
2003 - The Singing Detective
2002 - The Wild Thornberrys Movie
2001 - K-PAX
2000 - Dinosaur
2000 - Lost Souls
1999 - Mumford
1996 - Primal Fear
1996 - Star Trek: First Contact
1995 - How To Make An American Quilt
1994 - Crooklyn
1994 - Blue Chips
1993 - Heart and Souls
1992 - Passion Fish
1991 - Grand Canyon
1988 - Scrooged
1986 - Extremities
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Roxanne Turner
Ruby Jean Reynolds
Herself - Narrator (Voiced)
Dr. Lydia Crawford
Alfre Woodard is the youngest of three children born to her parents in Oklahoma. She was named by her godmother, who claimed she saw a vision of Alfre's name in written out in gold letters. A former high school cheerleader and track star, she got the acting bug after being pursuaded to audition for a school play by a nun at her school. She went on to study acting at Boston University and enjoyed a brief stint on Broadway before moving to LA.
She got her first break in Remember My Name (1978) which also starred 'Jeff Goldblum'. She lives in Santa Monica with her husband, writer 'Roderick Spencer', and their two adopted children: Mavis and Duncan. She was named one of the Most Beautiful People in America by People Magazine.
- Was member of the dramatic jury at the Sundance Film Festival in 1990.
- Played Dr. Roxanne Turner in _"St. Elsewhere" (1982)_ (qv) and years later in an episode of _"Homicide: Life on the Street" (1993)_ (qv). 'Tom Fontana' (qv) was a writer for the first, and an executive producer for the second.
- Was in consideration for the part of Mia Wallace in _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv) but 'Uma Thurman' (qv), who went on to receive a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her performance, was cast instead.
- For her revelatory performance in writer-director 'John Sayles' (qv)' _Passion Fish (1992)_ (qv) she was the Los Angeles Film Critics Association's second pick (i.e. runner-up) for their best supporting actress prize in 1992.
- 'Jonathan Frakes' (qv) calls her his "godmother". The two became friends as young actors in the 1970s.
- She and 'Felicity Huffman' (qv) are the only two cast members of _"Desperate Housewives" (2004)_ (qv) to have Oscar nominations.
- Her old Tulsa, Oklahoma house located near the Broken Arrow Expressway is the same part of the Oklahoma Turnpike the Jackson family would take by bus to California for Jackson-Five performances.
- She was so impressed with the script of the independent film _Follow Me Home (1996)_ (qv) that she offered to play the role of Evey without pay; much to the delight and awe of filmmaker 'Peter Bratt' (qv).