Sep. 21st, 1971
Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Alfonso Ribeiro's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Alfonso Ribeiro (born September 21, 1971) in New York. Alfonso's family is from Trinidad & Tobago. Although rumor has been that he is of Dominican descent, he has stated in an interview that this is false. Neither he nor his family are from the Dominican Republic; they originate from Trinidad & Tobago.
Ribeiro began his career when he debuted on the PBS show Oye Ollie. After getting the starring role in the Broadway musical The Tap Dance Kid Ribeiro was spotted by 'Michael Jackson' who cast him in one of the singer's many Pepsi commercials of that decade. At the age of 10 Ribeiro dabbled as a musician, releasing singles such as "Dance Baby," "Not Too Young (To Fall In Love)", "Sneak Away With Me" and "Time Bomb". It was about this time that he was cast as 'Rick Schroder's' best friend on the long-running series Silver Spoons (1982).
He attended California State University at Los Angeles after the end of the series, and was later cast as Carlton Banks on the popular series The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990). An avid race car driver, Ribeiro resides in Los Angeles where he participates in celebrity car races.
Ribeiro took part as a contestant in the thirteenth series of the British celebrity jungle-based reality show, I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here on ITV, in November and December 2013.
In 2014, Ribeiro took part on Dancing with the Stars' nineteenth season. He paired with professional dancer 'Witney Carson'. His jive in week one scored a 36 out of 40; Ribeiro became just the fourth dancer (after 'Kristi Yamaguchi', 'Amber Riley', and 'Charlie White') to receive a 9 from every judge in week one. In week four, he scored 40 out of 40 for his dance that incorporated his signature dance move, "The Carlton". In the final week of the season, Ribeiro scored 40 out of 40 in all three dances. On November 25, Ribeiro and Carson won the competition, beating out 'Sadie Robertson' and 'Janel Parrish' who came in second and third place, respectively. He has wanted to dance on DWTS for ten years, ever since season one.
Alfonso Ribeiro married writer Angela Unkrich (October 13, 2012) after becoming engaged in July 2012. They currently reside in Los Angeles and have a son named Alfonso Lincoln Ribeiro, Jr. (b. October 27, 2013). During a live show of Dancing with the Stars, Ribeiro announced that he and his wife are expecting their second child.
Ribeiro was previously married to Robin Stapler in 2002. Stapler and Ribeiro divorced in 2006, filing papers in Los Angeles County Superior Court that cited irreconcilable differences. The couple share joint custody of their daughter, Sienna Ribeiro.
- There was a rumor that he died in the 80s while doing a head spin, but he was confused with a breakdancing boy in a Pepsi commercial who did die.
- Raced part-time in the mid to late 1990's in the Star Mazda Series, with a best finish of 3rd at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
- Born and raised in New York City, currently lives in Los Angeles
- In 2003 starred in a McDonald's commercial for McGriddle breakfast sandwiches.
- Has a daughter, with 'Robin Stapler' (qv), named Sienna (born 2003).
- Won The Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach celebrity race in 1994 and 1995.
- Professional tap dancer and gymnast.
- Was cast as one of the background dancers in Michael Jackson's Pepsi commercials in the early 80s