Jun. 28th, 1972
Alessandro Nivola's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Coco avant Chanel
2008 - The Eye
2007 - The Girl in the Park
2007 - Goal II: Living the Dream
2007 - Grace is Gone
2006 - The Darwin Awards
2005 - Junebug
2004 - The Clearing
2001 - Jurassic Park III
2000 - Timecode
1999 - Mansfield Park
1999 - Best Laid Plans
1997 - Inventing the Abbotts
1997 - Face/Off
Alessandro Antine Nivola (born June 28, 1972) is an American actor, perhaps best known for his roles in the films Coco Before Chanel, Best Laid Plans, Jurassic Park III, Face/Off, and the first two films of the Goal! trilogy.
Personal life Nivola was born in Boston, Massachusetts. His mother, Virginia (née Davis), is an artist, and his father, Pietro Salvatore Nivola, is a professor of political science who wrote the book Laws of the Landscape: How Policies Shape Cities in Europe and America. Nivola's paternal grandfather was the Italian sculptor Costantino Nivola, and his paternal grandmother, Ruth Guggenheim, was a Jewish refugee from Germany. Nivola has described his mother as "a WASP, from the South", a descendant of Jefferson Davis. He has a brother, Adrian, and attended Phillips Exeter Academy.
Nivola married British actress Emily Mortimer in the Chilterns, Buckinghamshire in January 2003; the couple have a son, Samuel John, born in Westminster, London, on September 23, 2003. They also have a daughter, May, born on January 15, 2010. They used to live in Los Angeles California in Echo Park. They are currently living in Boerum Hill in Brooklyn, New York. He had fellow actor Heath Ledger as a neighbor.
Career Nivola began his acting career while still an undergraduate at Yale, landing the leading role in a Seattle production of Athol Fugard's Master Harold...and the Boys. After college, Nivola debuted on Broadway in 1995 as the young lover of Helen Mirren in A Month in the Country. The next year he appeared in the 1996 NBC miniseries Danielle Steel's The Ring and landed his first film role as Joanna Going's preppy husband in Inventing the Abbotts before being cast as Nicolas Cage's paranoid sociopath brother in John Woo's Face/Off (both in 1997).
- Attended Phillips Exeter Academy high school.
- Received a B.A. in English Literature from Yale University, Class of 1994.
- Older brother of Adrian Nivola, who also went to Yale
- He and actress 'Embeth Davidtz' (qv) played brother and sister in _Mansfield Park (1999)_ (qv) and husband and wife in _Junebug (2005)_ (qv).
- Also a fine football (soccer for Americans) player and represented the "Rest of the World" in a charity match against England. The charity Unicef was the beneficiary. Other players included celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, sprinter Ben Johnson, Patrick Keilty, Brian McFadden and ex Formula 1 driver Eddie Irvine (all RotW) and Robbie Williams, Jonathan Wilkes, David Grey, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Angus Deaton (England)
- Son-in-law of writer John Mortimer.
- Is a huge soccer fan.
- Educated at Yale University and received his degree in English.