Mar. 16th, 1971
El Paso, Texas, USA
Alan Tudyk's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Astro Boy
2008 - Meet Market
2007 - 3:10 to Yuma
2007 - Death at a Funeral
2007 - Knocked Up
2006 - Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
2005 - Serenity
2005 - Rx
2004 - I, Robot
2004 - DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story
2002 - Ice Age
2001 - A Knight's Tale
2001 - Hearts in Atlantis
2000 - 28 Days
2000 - Wonder Boys
1998 - Patch Adams
Guest TV Roles
Oliver Queen (Voiced)
Bobby Panache (Voiced)
Alan Tudyk was born in El Paso, Texas and grew up in Plano, where he attended Plano Sr. High. In 1990, he went on to study drama at Lon Morris Jr. College. While there he was awarded the Academic Excellence Award for Drama. He was also named "Most Likely to Succeed" and "Sophomore Beau." During this time Alan was an active member of the Delta Psi Omega fraternity.
After leaving LMJC, Alan went on to study at the prestigious Juilliard conservatory, but left in 1996 before earning a degree.
After a number of smaller stage productions, and a small role in the movie Patch Adams, Alan landed his first Broadway role in 1999 with Epic Proportions. He quickly became a sought-after comedic actor, with roles in such films as 28 Days and A Knight's Tale.
In 2002, Alan got the role of Wash, the wise-cracking pilot of Serenity on the short-lived series Firefly. Though the series lasted only eleven episodes, this may be Alan's most well-known and loved role. No other networks would buy the failed series, but Universal Pictures began courting the creator Joss Whedon to produce a big screen version of the series.
While awaiting the final news of Firefly's fate, Alan played the beloved "Steve the Pirate" in the movie Dodgeball and the voice of the robot "Sonny" in I, Robot.
In 2005 Alan finally reprised the role of Wash in Serenity, the feature film version of the series Firefly. The same year he went back to Broadway from June to November, taking over the role of Lancelot for Hank Azaria in the successful musical Spamalot.
He currently lives in New York City but also has a place in Los Angeles, California
- To prepare for the role of Steve The Pirate in Dodgeball, joined a group of pirate role players called The Rumrunners and spent a week at Pirate Camp.
- Smokey and the Bandit is his favorite movie.
- According to the rest of the Firefly cast, was consistently the worst speaker of Chinese on the show! He puts this down to having to learn long and complicated sentences like "Mother of God and all her wacky nephews" in Mandarin.
- While in college, Alan was active in the Delta Psi Omega fraternity.
- Alan's most prized possession was a 1964 Mustang, which he named "Old Sock."
- Alan filled in for Hank Azaria in the Broadway show Spamalot while Azaria was filming the second season of Huff and working on the seventeenth season of The Simpsons. Actress Sara Ramirez, another performer in the production at this time, was in Alan's class (Group 26) at Juilliard.
- Didn't go to his senior prom because the girl he was planning to take two-timed him with another guy and got pregnant.
- In preparing for the role of Sonny in the film, I, Robot, studied dance, movement and mime to accurately portray movement that has been programmed in. His work was captured with green screen technology.