Mar. 16th, 1971
El Paso, Texas, USA
Alan Tudyk's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Alan Tudyk (born March 16, 1971) in El Paso, Texas and grew up in Plano, where he attended Plano Sr. High. In 1990, he went on to study drama at Lon Morris Jr. College. While there he was awarded the Academic Excellence Award for Drama. He was also named "Most Likely to Succeed" and "Sophomore Beau." During this time Tudyk was an active member of the Delta Psi Omega fraternity.
After leaving LMJC, Alan went on to study at the prestigious Juilliard conservatory, but left in 1996 before earning a degree.
After a number of smaller stage productions, and a small role in the movie Patch Adams, Tudyk landed his first Broadway role in 1999 with Epic Proportions. He quickly became a sought-after comedic actor, with roles in such films as 28 Days and A Knight's Tale.
In 2002, Tudyk got the role of Wash, the wise-cracking pilot of Serenity on the short-lived series Firefly. Though the series lasted only eleven episodes, this may be Tudyk's most well-known and loved role. No other networks would buy the failed series, but Universal Pictures began courting the creator Joss Whedon to produce a big screen version of the series.
While awaiting the final news of Firefly's fate, Tudyk played the beloved "Steve the Pirate" in the movie Dodgeball and the voice of the robot "Sonny" in I, Robot.
In 2005 Tudyk finally reprised the role of Wash in Serenity, the feature film version of the series Firefly. The same year he went back to Broadway from June to November, taking over the role of Lancelot for Hank Azaria in the successful musical Spamalot.
He currently lives in New York City but also has a place in Los Angeles, California.
- According to the "War Stories" (1x09) episode commentary, when he couldn't remember the Chinese dialogue for Firefly, he would just make it up and hope no one noticed.
- To prepare for the role of Steve The Pirate in Dodgeball, joined a group of pirate role players called The Rumrunners and spent a week at Pirate Camp.
- In preparing for the role of Sonny in the film, I, Robot, studied dance, movement and mime to accurately portray movement that has been programmed in. His work was captured with green screen technology.
- While in college, Alan was active in the Delta Psi Omega fraternity.
- Didn't go to his senior prom because the girl he was planning to take two-timed him with another guy and got pregnant.
- Smokey and the Bandit is his favorite movie.
- Threw a "We Don't Work for FOX Anymore" party for the cast and crew of the short lived TV series "Firefly" upon hearing of its being cancelled.
- As a nod to his character in Firefly and Serenity, Alan can be heard in Halo 3 swearing in Chinese, quickly followed by, "I wish I was someone else right now!".