Apr. 14th, 1973
New York City, New York, USA
Adrien Brody's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
The son of Hungarian-born photographer Sylvia Plachy and retired history professor Elliot Brody, Adrien Brody grew up an only child in the Woodhaven section of Queens, New York, where he accompanied his mother on assignments for the Village Voice. He credits her with making him feel comfortable in front of the camera. He attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and LaGuardia High School for the Performing Arts in New York.
Despite a strong performance in The Thin Red Line (1998), time constraints forced the director to edit out much of Adrien's part. In spite of his later work with Spike Lee and Barry Levinson (I), he never became the star many expected he would become until Roman Polanski called on him to play a celebrated Jewish pianist in Nazi-occupied Warsaw. He pulled off a brilliant performance in The Pianist (2002), drawing on the heritage and rare dialect of his Polish grandmother, as well as his father, who lost family members during the Holocaust, and his mother, who fled Communist Hungary as a child during the 1956 uprising against the Soviet Union.
- He signed on to make _Bread and Roses (2000)_ (qv) without a script because he trusted the director 'Ken Loach' (qv). Prior to filming, he also went undercover to research life as a union member in Los Angeles, California. He went to conventions and sat in on strike talks. A couple of the members recognized him, but Brody persuaded them not to blow his cover.
- Taking acting classes as a youth, by age 13 he had done an off-Broadway play and a PBS-TV movie.
- Has been compared to 'Robert De Niro' (qv) and 'Al Pacino' (qv) for his unconventional acting skills and unique looks.
- Attended CUNY Queens College in the Flushing section of Queens, New York.
- Is the only actor to win a Best Actor Oscar when nominated alongside four previous Oscar winners.
- His father, Elliot Brody, is a retired history teacher of Polish-Jewish descent who lost family members in the Holocaust. His mother Sylvia Plachy, the renown photographer, fled Communist Hungary as a child during the 1956 revolution against Russia.
- Was considered for a role in _Pearl Harbor (2001)_ (qv).
- Close friends with 'Asia Argento' (qv).