Sep. 9th, 1966
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Adam Sandler's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Adam Sandler (born September 9, 1966), in Brooklyn, New York, to Judy and Stanley Sandler. At 17, he took his first step towards becoming a stand-up comedian when he spontaneously took the stage at a Boston comedy club. He found he was a natural comic. He nurtured his talent while at New York University (graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1991) by performing regularly in clubs and at universities. During his freshman year, he snagged a recurring role as the Huxtable family's friend Smitty on The Cosby Show (1984).
While working at a comedy club in L.A., he was "discovered" by 'Dennis Miller', who recommended him to Saturday Night Live (1975) producer 'Lorne Michaels' and told him that Sandler had a big talent. This led to his being cast in the show in 1990, which he also wrote for in addition to performing. After Saturday Night Live (1975), Sandler went on to the movies, starring in such hit comedies as Airheads (1994), Happy Gilmore (1996), Billy Madison (1995) and Big Daddy (1999). He has also starred in Mr. Deeds (2002) alongside 'Winona Ryder'; Eight Crazy Nights (2002), an animated movie about the Jewish festival of Chanukah; and Punch-Drunk Love (2002).
He also writes and produces many of his own films and has composed songs for several of them, including The Wedding Singer (1998). Sandler has had several of his songs placed on the "Billboard" charts, including the classic "The Chanukah Song".
- December 2007 - According to Forbes, for each dollar he got paid, Adam Sandler's movies averaged $9 of gross income.
- Former roommate of Writer/Director/Producer 'Judd Apatow' (qv) during his time on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv).
- Shares a birthday with 'Hugh Grant (I)' (qv).
- His beloved dog, 'Meatball (II)' (qv), who also has a section on Adam's official website with photos and videos, passed away due to a heart attack, at 4 years old. He was the son of Mr. Beefy, the talking dog in _Little Nicky (2000)_ (qv). Meatball was best "man" at Sandler's wedding and was dressed in a tux, with a yarmulka on his head. [January 27 2004].
- Children: (with 'Jackie Sandler (I)' (qv)) Sadie Madison Sandler (b. May 6, 2006 in Los Angeles, California) and Sunny Madeline Sandler (b. November 2, 2008).
- He was originally set to play taxi driver Max in _Collateral (2004)_ (qv), opposite 'Tom Cruise' (qv), but he backed out to work on _Spanglish (2004)_ (qv). 'Jamie Foxx' (qv) was cast in _Collateral (2004)_ (qv) instead. 'Jamie Foxx' (qv) went on to be nominated for an Academy Award for the role.
- Adam and his wife, 'Jackie Sandler (I)' (qv), are expecting their second child, due in October, 2008.
- Was a Resident Advisor in Brittany Hall during his time at New York University.