- Malcolm McDowell was meant to reprise his role as Admiral Tolwyn from the video game series. However due to conflicting schedules with the TV series Fantasy Island, he had to decline and the role went to 'David Warner'.
- Robert O. Ragland's musical score was rejected before the film's release.
- A subplot about a traitor was cut from the film. However, toy manufacturer X-Toys made and distributed the "Pilgrim Traitor" action figure. It comes with a mask hiding the traitor's face. When the mask is removed, the identity of the traitor is reveled: Admiral Wilson.
- The characters who are based on characters from the games are Blair, Maniac, Angel, Paladin, Admiral Tolwyn, Hunter, Knight and also Lt. Cdr. "Bossman" Chen (the unseen dead pilot whose name is written on this side of the fighter Blair sits in when he first meets Angel). The other characters such as Captain Sansky and Commander Gerald are new to the Wing Commander universe. Other references carried over from the games include the ship names TCS Tiger Claw (originally called the Tiger's Claw), TCS Concordia, Diligent, Snakeir, Rapier, Broadsword, Hornet and Dralthi.
- The voice of Merlin (listed as "?" in the credits) is 'Hamill, Mark', who played Christopher Blair in the Wing Commander CD-ROM games.
- The Rapier fighters are built out of English Electric Lightning fuselages, not out of MiG-21 fuselages as sometimes stated.
- DIRCAMEO(Chris Roberts): Is the pilot of the Broadsword bomber that picks up Blair near the end of the movie.
- This was one of only three films that was released with the theatrical trailer for Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. Many people paid admission to see the trailer and then walked out of the theater.