The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Goofs/Mistakes
- Movie Goof (continuity error): In subsequent scenes Gold Hat's sombrero is missing the bullet hole that Bogart shot into it at the mountain confrontation.
- Movie Goof (crew or equipment visible): During the fight with the bandits, a shadow of a crew member is visible against Tim Holt's shirt for a few seconds before he goes to check on the condition of Cody.
- Movie Goof (factual errors): In the opening shot of the poster, the word "febrero" ("February") is spelled with a capital F. In Spanish, names of the months are not capitalized.
- Movie Goof (revealing mistake): When Howard and Curtin pursue Dobbs, they pass a "dead" donkey left by Dobbs. The donkey is breathing and the ropes used to tie its legs are visible.
- Movie Goof (anachronisms): Although set in Mexico in the 1920s, many of the cars on the street in the Tampico scenes are of 1930s and 1940s vintage.
- Movie Goof (revealing mistake): In the last scene, after Curtin has been shot and his arm is put in a sling, he hops onto his horse by pulling himself up entirely with his hurt arm. He takes the time to slip his arm back into the sling in the same shot.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): When Dobbs finds the well, he is ahead of the donkeys. Next shot he is behind them.
- Movie Goof (factual errors): At the end, the gold dust would have never blown away, even by an especially strong wind such as the "norther" - gold dust is far too heavy. It could have been recovered by panning the topsoil where it was dumped. Also, no Mexican bandit would have mistaken gold dust for anything but gold.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): When Howard is laid on a hammock, being served by Indian women, he has a little bunch of flowers on his left ear which disappear in subsequent shots.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): There are background noises from wildlife in parts of the movie. One of which is the unmistakable call of the Australian kookaburra.
- Movie Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Dobbs goes back to bury the body, he runs around looking for it, then trips over. As he does so he practically falls off the set, as visible to the left are a large water tank and a hose.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): During the fight with McCormick in the cantina, the position of Dobbs' hat on the bar rail changes at least twice.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): As Dobbs mutters to himself, Curtin walks between Dobbs and the water race. When he gets to Howard and the water tank at the top of the race, Curtin comes in from the other side of the water race, despite there being no crossing point between Dobbs and the tank.
- Movie Goof (revealing mistake): Glaringly obvious use of doubles in the barfight scene to replace Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt and Barton MacLane.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): Fighting their way through the bush, Dobbs passes through a section where the branches have been cut by Howard in front. Then around 10 seconds later the shot of Howard actually cutting through that section is shown.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): When Howard is trying to revive the Indian boy, there is nothing around the boy. Later a calabash gourd appears on his left side and changes position between shots.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): During the gunfight with the bandits, Howard refers to the newcomer as Cody. But at the end of the gunfight, he asks "Wonder who he is?" and uses the newcomer's wallet to identify him as James Cody.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): After Curtin is shot by Dobbs, the wound to the shoulder is not the same when Dobbs goes back to Curtin with the torch.
- Movie Goof (anachronisms): In an early scene when Dobbs is getting a haircut, an automobile flashes past the window of the barbershop. It appears to be a late 1940s sedan.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): When they are looking for gold, Curtin and Dobbs stop to rest, and Curtin puts the stick on his right leg. Immediately after, without his having moved, the stick is leaning on his shoulder.