Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan Goofs/Mistakes
- Movie Goof (audio/visual unsynchronized): When Borat and Azamat are having their hotel room tom-cat-fight, Azamat clearly smashes the lamp against the TV instead of against Borat's head.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): When Borat and Azamat are in a coffee shop arguing about going to California, they are supposed to be in New York City. But Los Angeles street signs are visible through the window.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): The rodeo that Borat goes to is in Salem, Virginia, which is close to the southwest part of the state. However, after he leaves the rodeo, the map shows Borat in the eastern part of the state.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): In the deleted scene "Dogs Pound", Borat is shown going into an animal shelter in Denton County, WV. However, there is no such county in the state of West Virginia.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): When the couple who own the bed & breakfast bring Borat and Azamat food, the 2 blue cups switch to each side of the tray in every shot.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): Borat visits a TV station in Jackson, Mississippi. However, the map still has him located somewhere in Virginia.
- Movie Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When in the TV station, Borat doesn't understand the lapel microphone, yet in the opening scenes, before he leaves for the US, while he is "narrating" he is clearly wearing a lapel microphone.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): The church Borat visits is supposedly in Western Texas or further west, yet it shows Chip Pickering and Jim Smith - two Mississippian politicians - speaking.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): In the beginning when Borat is walking, we see some kids beside him, when the camera zooms in the kids have dispersed or changed.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): When Borat is in the antique shop wrecking havoc, he steps on a toy dump truck. The truck causes him to trip thereby destroying many antiques. At this point the truck is kicked out of view, when Borat gets back up the truck is mysteriously underfoot again causing another trip and more comic destruction.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): Before Borat finds the Baywatch book, it is lying on top of the pile, but in the next shot there is a book covering it which Borat has to move to discover the Baywatch book.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): Both Criswell Automotive and Perry Hall Driving School are located in the state of Maryland, yet Borat is still supposed to be in New York City at the time of these scenes.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): In the subway scene with the chicken in the suitcase, the train cars often switch between NYC transit trains and PATH Trains that run between NYC and parts of New Jersey.
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): When Borat is coming down the escalator at the airport, the graphic says John F. Kennedy International Airport, but he's actually at Columbia Metropolitan Airport in Columbia, SC. The sign at the top of the escalator, the windows on the top level, the palmetto tree carpet, the Ft. Jackson sign behind the escalator to the left, and the Hertz Rent-A-Car booth on the left are all big signs.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): The amount of soap changes during the hotel room tom-cat-fight.
- Movie Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): When Borat is in the home town, everybody converses in Romanian (excepting Borat who speaks in English, Hebrew and Polish, and Azamat who speaks Armenian), but the subtitles of the dialogue spoken are incorrect. However, considering so many details in the movie are fabricated, this is definitely intentional.
- Movie Goof (plot holes): The movie's premise is that this is all real footage made by Borat's news crew. Who, then, is filming the scenes where Borat is alone and homeless on the streets?
- Movie Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): After the Gay Pride Parade, Borat asks a black congressman "What is gay?". However, later in the film when he sings his country's national anthem, it has a line referencing gays in a negative way. It seems unlikely that he wouldn't know the meaning of the word if it was in their national anthem, especially as means of insult.
- Movie Goof (revealing mistake): In the running of the Jew, when the Jewess lays the egg, you can clearly see rocks that have been raised above the street to keep the egg from falling.
- Movie Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Earlier on the film, when Borat is on the subway, his briefcase pops open and his chicken starts to run around. He yells, "Careful, he bite!" which denotes it is male. However, later on after Azamat leaves him, he refers to his chicken as a hen, in which case would mean it is female.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): When Borat gets out of the RV where he'd been drinking with the frat boys, it is a different RV than the one he originally got into.
- Movie Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Borat asks Azamat to officiate at his wedding, he asks it in ersatz Kazak, which is really Hebrew. But what Borat is really asking Azamat to do is to make him scrambled eggs, which sounds a bit similar in Hebrew - "hatuna" vs. "havita".
- Movie Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): During the dinner scenes at the Magnolia Manor, Borat excuses himself to use the restroom, only to return to the table with a bag of excrement in hand, and immediately after, one of the ladies is in the restroom with Borat showing him how to properly use a toilet, which denotes that Borat has no knowledge of toilets or their proper use. However earlier in the film, Borat talks about that on weekend he travels to Astana to "watch the ladies make the toilet".
- Movie Goof (errors in geography): While showing a map of their progress, it shows them traveling down I-95 through North and South Carolina towards Atlanta, GA. This Interstate, however, is I-85, which diverges from 95 in Richmond, VA.
- Movie Goof (factual errors): The DVD subtitles mistranscribe Borat's Polish dialect, suggesting that the subtitle-writers were transliterating it "by ear." "Jak sie masz!" becomes "Jagshemash!" and "Dziekuje" becomes "Chenqui".
- Movie Goof (crew or equipment visible): In the RV with the frat boys, in one frame you can see a microphone attached to the wall in the front of the RV.
- Movie Goof (continuity error): Oksana the bear frequently disappears from the ice cream truck in scenes where she is not needed.