TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
pro
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

4 years ago
Comments

Soler, thanks for the heads-up on Young Hyacinth. If it comes to my local PBS I will give it a go. I am now kind of hoping it will. Good to hear Patricia Routledge is doing well.

They have also remade Howard's End and it will be featured on the Starz channel. Looks to be interesting. It was never a great favorite of mine, but I think I may give it a try.

Remakes seem to be the thing these days as they have remade Christie's Ordeal by Innocence which will be shown shortly in the UK. It seems quite dark and (for me), because of this, I see no improvement over the original that was done during Geradine MeEwan's tenure. Now, I will fully admit I enjoyed her as Miss Marple, that in no way takes away from Joan Hickson, it is a different interpretation, but one that I am fond of. The stories got convoluted in the telling in her years, but I do not hold her responsible for this and find her first series (S1) to be very good. Different than Joan Hickson's, but good it their own right. ... dare I say, for me, her Murder at the Vicarage is superior to JH's which I find a bit slow and bland. We always have the original, so a bit of change is not going to hurt anyone.

But I digress, the point I am trying to make is that the Christie remakes are darker and I don't care for this interpretation. I had mentioned a while back that I had watched the "Witness for the Prosecution" remake and I did not like it. I don't know why they bothered yet, I have read that it did well for Acorn TV. Darker apparently attracts an audience. I just don't put dark and Christie together in the same sentence.

4 weeks ago

Howard's End trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3o4t9ATM6w

Ordeal by Innocence trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuAj2ei9rJc

Great cast. *Deedee*, Bill Nighy is in this one. I forgot to mention above that this story was originally not a Miss Marple, but was added to the franchise because they wanted to continue the franchise and ran out of stories.

4 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Happy Easter, everyone!

I tried to post a few days ago, but I didn't get far. It appeared that this site was hacked, but everything seems ok now, thank goodness..

4 weeks ago

Actually, I just found out that the Miss Marple interpretation I spoke of is not the original. Wow, that got by me. Apparently, it was originally done in 1984 and included Donald Sutherland, Faye Dunaway, Diana Quick and Christopher Plummer in the cast. AND, my other main man, (besides Peter Bowles) Ian McShane. Okay people, how did I miss this??? I am going to check "The Tube" and see if it is available for view. I am losing some of my "cred" here...I am slipping, this is not good!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087852/

And, look what else I found...

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a852474/ordeal-by-innocence-writer-sarah-phelps-agatha-christie-changed-ending/

4 weeks ago

Hello Alastair, Happy Easter!!

I didn't realize there was a problem, but thank goodness all is well.

4 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Brit, Deedee, and Soler, I finally got a chance to see Darkest Hour, after a short wait for availability. Needless to say, it was a powerful film worthy of its nominations. Gary Oldman was definitely deserving of his Oscar! So many familiar faces and names in the cast, almost a who's who. Fun to pick out the cameo roles, as well - from Robert Ferrars to Mr. Bennett, even Mr, Collins (again).
Highly recommend!!

4 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Hi Brit!

4 weeks ago
soler
pro

I tried to post a few days ago, but I didn't get far. It appeared that this site was hacked, but everything seems ok now, thank goodness..
Yes Alastair .. It appears that sometimes gremlins get into the site and cause havoc. It has happened to me more than once , Happy Easter.

4 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Hello Soler!
Yes, the important thing is to not click on anything that pops up- just back track or even quit in order to free yourself. I guess this is the new normal :(

4 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Noticed some trolls here too, lately. I am looking forward to Darkest Hour, alastair, glad you deem it good.

Don't know what I came upon last evening, looked to be a remake of Tommy and Tuppence. Blech. Put me right to sleep.

Thanks, Brit, I'll look for Ordeal by Innocence.

I was so enjoying Occupied, a Norwegian series, but no..........they had to go off the rails. Why do the writers do that? In this case, it was cliffhanger after cliffhanger, simply in the interest of being renewed. Sad.

I read an interesting article somewhere, how young people who were addicted to a Spanish serial (one with MANY episodes) actually learned Spanish! I doubt it works with old people and the Norwegian language!

4 weeks ago
alastair
expert

Thanks, Deedee!

4 weeks ago

Hello everyone! Had my sister visiting me ...busy week!

Okay, hands up for those who (like me) think Unforgotten is excellent! This is right up there with the quality mysteries we have loved from PBS. I am a Nicola Walker fan and the detective genre is a great fit for her. I am already hoping they make this a series. I don't think there are any plans to, but a girl can dream can't she?

The way they showed us the investigation, it felt very real to me, piece by piece, quietly moving forward - that is how I imagine most investigations take place. No drama for the sake of drama itself. The next episode we will see how the characters we have been introduced to are intertwined in Jimmy's life and possibly his murder. Just so good!!

Makes me feel we are holding on to the old "Masterpiece Mystery" a little longer. I had lost hope there for awhile, things did not look good when they disbanded MM a few years ago.

"Endeavour" is coming next, so we have that as well. It is are last tie to the hey day of the PBS mysteries, once that is done we will have no more, so for that alone (and to see DI Thursday again) I am glad for another season. I just want to wallow in my nostalgia for a little bit longer.

For some reason I am finding myself much more nostalgic these days for the shows that came before. I am looking back on what we had and missing it. Change and growth is good, I am the first to admit it, but it is not always better. Of course, that is a blanket statement and there are new series I enjoy, but they are few and far between.

*Deedee*, the "Partners in Crime" (Tommy and Tuppence) remake was unwatchable. I didn't make it through more than a few episodes. It was so miscast and just off the mark. No comparison to the original. They only made one season, if I remember it was pretty much universally panned.

It is so much harder to learn a new language when you are older. I try (and try) and fail miserably. I keep at it, with the understanding I will only absorb the very basics, I will never be even slightly fluent. Some people do have an ear for languages, unfortunately, I am not one of them. Understanding the culture, that is where I excel. I have a much better understanding of it than my language skills show. That is what gets me by when I am visiting France.

*Alastair*, yes, thanks for the heads-up on "The Darkest Hour". Glad to hear it as well because I am interested in seeing it.

2 weeks ago

Correction - "our" last tie...

2 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

I forgot to watch Unforgotten, I'll have to catch up. There are two seasons. I am glad Thursday is coming back, I wonder how much longer they can last?

I couldn't agree more about the old shows, which is why I joined Britbox and Acorn. For now at least, the foreign mysteries put a lot of effort into their productions.Occupied ended up being far-fetched, but it's quite enjoyable.

But it ain't the old days, Brit, when mystery after mystery was on BRAVO, A&E and PBS.

2 weeks ago

There are two seasons.

I did not know this, Deedee! That is great!

I think I read that Endeavour has been renewed for another year. I looked-up Occupied, it is on Amazon Prime which I don't have.

I have come to the realization that I am going to have to get Britbox. I am finding less on Acorn to watch and I want to see the latest episodes of my favs Shetland and Vera, so at this point I am going to need to subscribe to that as well. I do have shows on Netflix I watch so I am not giving that up. I adore The Crown and am binge watching the first season of Versailles again (having just finished the second season). I thought the first season was the stronger of the two. This is not a series you would enjoy Deedee (at all), so I wouldn't suggest you even venture a peek - it would leave you with nightmares.

You did recommend Collateral on Netflix, I need to give that a try.

2 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

This show? You're right!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6020149/versailles-axed-by-french-pro
ducers/

Did you see Benedict Cumberbatch in a new series called Patrick Melrose?

Looks good.

2 weeks ago

Wow, they certainly made their point in that article. They showed all the over the top sex scenes one after the other... believe me, there is more than sex to the storyline, but I will be the first to say it is not for the faint of heart. :)

The story is about King Louis XIV and the world he created in Versailles. It is loosely based on his life, it is not entirely accurate... certainly no one would mistake it for a documentary. :) I follow a blog from an historical writer who has knowledge of the period and explains what is historically correct in the series and what is not.

There is one more season in production which is the finale of the series.

No, I will do some research on "Patrick Melrose". Thanks.

2 weeks ago

Soler, our girl Nicola Walker has a new "refreshed" look for her latest role in BBC's The Split, which will be shown on the Sundance TV channel on May 23rd. Good for her, she looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDxTMnr-YUM

I am going to check it out. Do you have access to the channel?

13 days ago
deedee713
guru

Sorry, Patrick Melrose isn't airing until sometime in May. My mistake.

Oh, nice cast in The Split. Thanks Brit. I wish it were on a PBS channel - they just are not at the forefront in buying new shows anymore, are they? - so as not to have the commercials on Sundance, but perhaps it will be in On Demand without them. Not a guarantee there anymore, either. They screen the shows with the commercials and don't allow fast forwarding.

Nicola does look smashing, hope her speech pattern is a little more upbeat from her previous yokel drawl. Anthony Head from the coffee commercials, Tompkinson from DCI Banks, and Mangan from one of my favorite underappreciated shows, Episodes. Nice.

Here's hoping the focus isn't on women who give up career for men.

It starts on April 24th on BBC1, I wonder if it will similarly be on Sundance?

13 days ago
soler
pro

Yes Brit ... you're right , our girl Nicola looks good with her make over. Would like to see this show , curious how she projects herself after her new image. Don't think I have access to this channel . What makes me so sad is I have lost my down load source .... so ... no more ' stick ' loaded with all the good shows that I would request. Nothing lasts forever. Have ' Unforgotten ' Season 1 on stick and watched a few eps. before I stopped . Was trying to get Season 2 , so I could run them both together but was unable to. Sooo ... I'll watch Season 1 on the telly ( knowing I still have Season 1 on stick ) and get an added bonus because what follows is early eps. of Last Tango . More Nicola. ( Have all the Tango eps on stick ) so in the future when the mood hits I can do a Tango binge.

13 days ago
deedee713
guru

Okay, hands up for those who (like me) think Unforgotten is excellent!

Two hands up here, Brit. I had to start with Episode 2 last evening on WLIW, but will catch up with Episode 1 on NJTV next week.

VERY good series, Brit. Yes, in the vein of the legacy shows we used to watch for free.

Walker is incredible, and her halting annoying speech pattern in LTIH is a put on. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

The supporting cast is wonderful, every old talented unnamed face from every UK show we ever saw. The old lady with no plastic surgery married to the very familiar black guy (no names either one!), Tom Courtenay, Trevor Eve, the guy with the dog whose face and speech cadence I adore - masters of acting all, and not a star amongst them. Don't you wish Tom's wife would throw him down some stairs, what an SOB he is.

Riveting, wonderful show. Did it get the advertising on PBS it should have, like the lukewarm middling unwatchable if not for Allam Endeavour does? Of course not. Idiots on PBS, all.

Thank you again, Brit, if not for you, it would have come and gone.

Oh, and my small contribution - Billions and Homeland are fair watching this year, whilst Bosch is outstanding watching.

9 days ago

Yes, we have been visited by the PBS Mystery fairy's wand and been transported back to the quality programming we have come to know and love. Deedee, I thought the first episode was even better than the second. The beginning of the investigation was so well done, each step they took piecing information together was done with a light hand, very realistic... as I said, no drama for drama's sake.

The cast is superb, as you say, so many familar faces. Did you see Mrs. Thursday from Endeavour? She was the Vicar's girlfriend, JoJo.

Series two is only one episode long (that is all I see shown on PBS's listing of episodes provided from my cable, I didn't check IMDB as yet)) and will run on PBS a few weeks after the finale episode of Series One. From what I gather it seems to be a continuation - of some sort - of the current story, but don't quote me on that as I may be mistaken.

That Tom... is a snake, he is my prime suspect. They are all tied to it is some way, but I have him singled out as the person responsible for Jimmy's murder. Slimeball. There are so many red herrings though, the next episode could prove me wrong.

PBS has been talking up the show on their FB page and the comments from viewers has been really positive. Not so with their last production with Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Child in Time" ... many people stayed away from that one, myself included. Too much misery and pain to subject one's self to. My impression is that it was not a big success re. drawing in the viewers.

8 days ago
deedee713
guru

Ohhhh, The Child in Time was awful. Much like Missing, only worse.

That was Mrs. Thursday? What a horror, that vicar. The entire town seems to be steeped in evil and secrets. Goes towards my long held conspiracy that Oswald didn't act alone, that some people can hide evil for 39 years.

Take a look here - you have to search for Unforgotten, but it brings up three episodes:

https://www.thirteen.org/schedule/?program=39251

8 days ago

Oh I see! They are showing three episodes to be aired for S2 so I am going to assume that WHYY is doing the same. Thanks for the info!

That vicar is a horror. I was thinking another word which I rather not say here. Someone is blackmailing him and I cannot figure out who. His wife needs to run for the hills, the further away she gets from him the better.

8 days ago
deedee713
guru

I didn't watch Unforgotten, I'm waiting for Tuesday on another PBS. I hope the vicar got his. ITV has confirmed the show is returning for a third season.

Instead, I painfully watched (I hope I can drop them both after this year) Homeland and Billions. Don't ask. They took its top off. As I said, don't ask.

Brit, I don't know if you've seen them, but the final episodes of Poirot are on Britbox. Of course, I'll be passing.

Finally, has anyone here seen Get Out? Can anyone tell me why it was a good movie?

Too bad someone in corporate land didn't think to do before now of what Sundance and the BBC are doing on May 23, i.e., having a dual release of The Split. Imagine seeing Morse without waaaaaaaaaaaiting for the PBS's to buy it?

3 days ago

Deedee and Soler, everything turns upside down when we find out the entire story in the finale of Unforgotten. It has aspects which will make your eyebrows raise, things that did not quite hit the mark...I found myself saying "like really, now (at this late date) you (the storywriters) mention this important piece of information, not fair", but will admit that there is much that goes on after this and at this point whatever you think you knew you don't. Be prepared, it is a ride. There were aspects I did not care for about the ending, so I found it a mixed bag. All in all, a strong story that keeps your attention to the bitter end. I am looking forward to Series 2!!

Yes, Deedee, I have seen the last episodes of Poirot several times and own the DVD. I found Curtain heartfelt, it was beautifully done and there was great affection shown between Capt. Hastings and Poirot. It left me more lifted than sad, it was a tribute to our dear friend. Well chosen writer for this ending. I do understand that it would be too much for you and it would be best to leave Poirot as you see him in your memory.

I did not see the movie "Get Out", so can not comment on that, but I have DVR'd "Paris Can Wait" with Diane Lane and I am looking forward to watching it. Alastair have you seen it? This seems like a movie you would enjoy. It is available on Starz if any of you get that channel. I'll let you all know what I think once I have watched.

2 days ago

I found this interesting bit of information... remember I had posted the Acorn TV tours through Transcendent a while back? They do The Best of Acorn TV Tour, a great tour of England highlighting many of our favorite shows, the itinerary of which I posted at the time.

Well, what did I discover? They have other specific tours for some local PBS stations. WLIW21, New York, has it's own tour and it is a doozy. Perfect for me as it includes a visit to Cricket St. Thomas the home of the To the Manner Born series. I have always wanted to visit there.

This is a seven day tour chocked full of all the places I would like to see. I am generally not a "tour" person, I'd rather plan my own thing, but I could not accomplish all this on my own. The nice thing is that with there being so much to do in the week, not dealing with the logistics of getting to each place does save time which is important when you have only a week to explore.

First day you visit London, staying at the Castle Hotel in Windsor directly across from Windsor Castle. You visit the Castle and St. George's Chapel in the afternoon. Next day, on to a luncheon at Highclere Castle in the State Dining Room, (that has got to be a great experience) after which, on to Bath. They are doing some interactive cooking experience in Bath something like the Great British Baking Show. I would probably miss that and tour Bath on my own if I have the opportunity to do so. Yet, on the other hand, although not my usual thing, this could be a good bit of fun. It would depend on who else is on the tour with you.

Day 3, after time in Bath, move on to Afternoon tea in Cricket St' Thomas in Somerset. From there journey on to Devon to Bordingdon Hall for a night. Next on to Port Isaac with afternoon tea at the Old Schoolhouse which is frequently used for filming. I can't get a picture of this in my head, I'll have to look in to that. In the afternoon time at the seaside of Cornwall the backdrop of "Poldark".

TBC

2 days ago

Next day, tour of Greenway Estate Agatha Christie's home. In the afternoon travel to Sidmouth a seaside Victorian town on the Devon coast. From there, an overnight stay at the Four Pillars Tortworth Court Hotel in Gloucestershire.

Next on to Hampton Court Palace which is reminiscent of programs like Wolf Hall and back to London with an evening at The Fielding Hotel next to the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. Then, on home, unless you elect to stay a night or two more in London to see more of the sights (and maybe stand in front of Whitehaven Mansions, also know as Florin Court, Poirot's home). I would love to see that, so if I could, I would stay another day.

The problem is that this tour is opened to patrons and fans of LIW21. I would imagine that people who live in the viewing area would have first access to the tour (it is currently sold out).

The thing is that I am considering moving back to New York, specifically to Rockland County, for a few years after the hub's retires. Nothing permanent, I just want to be closer to my family and feel I want to be back in New York for awhile. I have lived in New Jersey since college (other than my time with Mom) and it is time for a return. My nephew went to college in the Palisades area and we really enjoyed our visits there. Not too far from my family and close to the City which the Hubs would enjoy (he loves NY). Nothing certain as yet, we have a few more years to make a decision. So, maybe we will be in the local viewing area if we move back!

2 days ago
alastair
expert

Brit, have added Paris Can Wait to my Flix queue. Looking forward to hearing your review..

Best wishes on your plans to relocate back to NY!

Has anyone had a chance to view the remainder of the Oscar nominees and winners? I loved Ladybird, bot hated both The Shape of Water and Three Billboards. The plots were commendable, but not the execution IMO. Both were very graphic in their violence. I liked the love story in the former, but be prepared..

2 days ago
deedee713
guru

Oh boy, doesn't bode well alastair. I wonder why the current demographic likes violence for its own sake? Thanks for the warning. I was looking forward to seeing Frances. Have you seen Get Out?

Really, Brit??!! Happy Dance!

I saw episode 3 of Unforgotten, and have to read the crib notes. I don't know who was doing what to whom and why. So it was 4 unconnected stories? I thought they were connected for some reason. I still hate Tom's character, and believe he blamed it on his Not There wife out of convenience. My father was evil so I know evil.

The performances were outstanding, and I'm sure it would benefit from another viewing, in order this time. Loved the story about the guy and the wife who jumped in the river.

Brit, that PBS tour sounds wonderful. If only. Wish they had them in 1982.

2 days ago
deedee713
guru

You're right Brit. Rowan Atkinson isn't half bad as Maigret. Did I read in the cast that Michael Gambon is in it?

I guess Maigret wasn't proprietary to Gambon, as Morse was to Thaw or Holmes to Brett (for me). I won't accept any other in these two parts, but seemingly all the others can be redone.

With the exception of my Fat Andy, no one can replace Warren Clarke.

2 days ago
alastair
expert

Deedee, sometimes makes you wonder what the academy is thinking! However, I thought Ronan was marvelous in Ladybird. When you see her interviewed, her Irish accent is very heavy. But in the film, she is totally convincing as her character. Amazing! I want to see her in 'Brooklyn', which is suppose to be another awesome performance! But in Ladybird, the actress who played her mother did indeed win an Oscar - totally deserving. Highly recommend!

1 day ago
alastair
expert

Oops, my mistake. Laurie Metcalf did win best supporting actress at the AARP Movies for Grownups awards, which was televised for the first time this year on PBS. It was a fun watch, compared to the overblown and over long Oscar telecast..

1 day ago
deedee713
guru

alastair, I keep thinking this movie is about LB Johnson! I'll have to add it to my list, with the Churchill movie and the Post movie.

Brit, I finally saw episode one of Unforgotten - and am still confused! I know I still hate Tom's character, he SO set up his wife and it seems Trevor's ending was a good one too. Seems I don't like people without a conscience, so the coach's wife was redeemed in the end, imo. Her husband is a wonderful actor, where has he been?

Where did the guy with the dog fit in? He's been around, too. I hate that I can't recall the names of these wonderful actors.

I didn't follow Trevor Eve's storyline at all.

Nicola is going BACK to the drek LTIH? I'm so sorry for her. She shone in this series. Didn't know her partner, he was excellent too.

I hated the priest, but then I hate all priests.

Which one was Thursday's wife again?

Excellent series. From 2015 and no major press on it? Tom alone won the BAFTA?????????

At least NPR liked it:

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/04/07/599456443/unforgotten-is-the-detective-show-you-didnt-know-you-needed

Check local PBS listings starting Sunday night, and you, too, might be drawn in.

MIGHT? Are people idiots?

Nice article. It was six episodes in the UK, three here. Is ITV really not well respected in England?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/nov/12/unforgotten-episode-six-recap-nobody-escapes-the-past-in-a-finale-full-of-redemption

16 hours ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.