TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
pro
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

3 years ago
Comments
deedee713
guru

I think I saw some of Shetland, and liked Henshall. Hopefully a new season is on Netflix that I haven't seen.

Now that you have Netflix, Brit, be careful about Bordertown. A Finnish crime series, this time, and oy, women and children don't stand a chance in that country. The very first scene is very rough.

I recommend it, as Ville Virtanen is very good in the usual dour way, but boy is it unpleasant.

3 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Holy Loch Ness monster! The accent in Shetland is a challenge, but the show is as good as I remember. I saw two seasons, it seems, and so am glad to see a third on Netflix.

Thanks, Brit.

13 days ago

You are welcome! The third season is very well done, continuing story each episode until the conclusion at the end of the season. I really enjoyed this, allows the writers to develop the story and let us meander along with it rather than to rush everything into 90 minutes.

Another recommendation...Escape to the Country, particularly the 2015 season which was shot in 2014. This is one of the best of the entire series. It was the only one that Netflix offered on our trial run. I saw this season a few years ago on YT, but I forgot much of it, didn't remember which house was selected etc.

Anyway, they picked some great houses and were really listening to what the perspective buyers wanted. Many fell in love with the houses and offers were made. This did not happen nearly as much in other years, in fact, they stopped telling the audience the outcomes because so few eventually purchased. Great rainy day viewing!

We are still working on getting Netflix. I am finding myself missing it. We can get it through Xfinity on our family room TV because it has internet connections, but discovered that the reason we could not get it on the upstairs TV was that it does not have the same capability. Xfinity is sending us an updated cable box which will allow us to access it upstairs through an App.

I like the direct access to the TV without casting through chrome or another device. I have been holding off on Acorn TV because they still have not worked out their streaming kinks with Chromecast.

13 days ago

Sunday night has turned out to be a heck of a night for TV!

First, I am loving Wolf Hall, I am enjoying it more than Homefires. Mark Rylance is mesmerizing as Cromwell. He portrays him in a way that allows us to understand his motivation and to see his charismatic, gentle side. He was a master at intrigue. I always thought of him only as a bully and Wolsey's puppet. I also never realized how much Cromwell's rise was tied to Anne Boleyn. He was not only counseling the King, he (directly) helped her to gain position.

I even like Damian Lewis' Henry VIII. Clair Foy gives Anne an edge that is believable.

I don't know if anyone else is watching Homefires,...Pat's husband Bob is back and I don't think a soul wanted to see that. He is as bad as ever, although Pat is garnering strength. Lot's happening, but since the series has been canceled there are going to be loose ends left which is disconcerting. I understand a book, or series of books, will be written to finish the story for those who are interested.

I DVR'd "Feud" and watched that as well. Joan Crawford was her own worst enemy. She did not understand when to stop, it hurt her greatly. Even though, Bette Davis did her a disservice. She would not relent and had she stepped back just a little, things may have turned out differently for Crawford. Not that I think she deserved it. What a nasty woman. I get that the studio used her and most actresses of her era, but she slithered when she did not need to.

13 days ago
soler
pro

Yes dee .. the accents on Shetland are a challenge indeed . Good mystery though ... but the landscape is so dreary and being on Shetland you're closer to Norway than London . Will keep watching though as it is good.
Brit , have not got into Wolf Hall ... now if it was set in the 20's or 30's I'd have a front row seat but you are loving it so maybe I missed out on this one, Pity. I am watching Homefires and loving that. lol Wish this series had not been cancelled . Feud has one more ep to go . Don't know if Jessica Lange is doing Crawford justice I have read that Faye Dunaway had done a better job in Mommy Dearest ( which I have not seen ) . Never the less , Crawford is less likable than Davis because of the way she is carrying on. If that's possible , Davis is no prize . Wonder if there really was a Mammcita lol ... everyone needs a little Mamacita in there life lol .. serious , low key never cracks a smile but has a dry wit whether she knows it or not , her and Crawford are like night and day , what an unlikely pair. Like her line .. " Next time you through something at my head I leave " ..... lol well Crawford did she walked out .. next week will she be back or not ... Crawford will grovel and put on her best acting face to plead with her to come back. Bet it will work . I would like to listen to people who actually knew Crawford and Davis , bet their views on the show would be interesting.

13 days ago

Here you go Soler, there really was a Mamacita.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/feud-joan-crawford

13 days ago

Brit , have not got into Wolf Hall ... now if it was set in the 20's or 30's I'd have a front row seat but you are loving it so maybe I missed out on this one, Pity.

Soler, WolfHall is not my usual thing either. I am quite surprised I am enjoying it as much as I am. I did not even bother checking it out the first time it aired figuring it would not interest me. Mark Rylance pulled me in and I was sold.

13 days ago
soler
pro

Brit .. Think I might have made a mistake with Wolf Hall . Last night I was going thru my DVR and found the Latest Wolf Hall ep. Did not DVR Wolf Hall , as such , but had Masterpiece DVR'd . The past eps . of Wolf Hall I let be over written but as I had no interest , this one I watched . At the end I froze the credit screen to catch who played Cromwell .. thought he had a great screen presence. ...... found it was Mark Rylance ... what 'd ya know . lol Don't remember ever seeing him before. He steels every scene he's in without even trying. Good performance also provided by Anton Lesser . Intrigue was fun to follow but I really had the feeling I came crashing thru a glass roof as I missed previous ep and I had no story flow. I think what initially caused me to have no interest was the fact Damian Lewis was the lead and I can take or leave him. What I failed to do was watch the first ep. to see who the other characters were to judge the flavor of the show , then make a decision on watching further. Went looking thru ' On Demand ' but had no luck . Only thing to do is watch PBS closely over the next few months to catch a rerun .

12 days ago

I get the Damian Lewis thing... as I stated in an above post, I am no great fan of his. He is not near the lead in this production - as you say Mark Rylance steals every scene. Anton Lesser played Thomas Moore, what an odious individual he was, that scene with him in the last episode reading the bible as he watched the lawyer (Barton?) put on the rack. Ugh. double Ugh. Cromwell tried to help him, at least he had compassionate for others which is what this production is bringing to light, Thomas Moore had none. I agree about Lesser's performance, he always brings his A game.

I don't know if you can view this, but I am sending it along just in case you can. At least you may be able to get caught up on the first few episodes on-line.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/wolf-hall/

12 days ago
deedee713
guru

I loathe Damian Lewis. He is a mediocre actor. He was in Homeland, at least. He does an AWFUL American accent.

But some episodes of Wolf Hall were bearable for Rylance, adorable fellow he, and Lesser, excellent actor both.

Anyone see Rylance in Bridge of Spies? Those eyes! That performance. See it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeFycUUAdsg

12 days ago
deedee713
guru

Oh, and Lewis does the same AWFUL American accent and puts in another mediocre performance in Billions.

12 days ago
soler
pro

dee .. I could never understand the appeal of Damian Lewis either. When Tom Hanks went to England to look for British actors for ' Band of Brothers ' he took such a shine to the relatively unknown Lewis he sent him to Hollywood for a screen test and he has not looked back since . I believe he played an American soldier in that series not a British one. Hollywood running out of actors were they?? When Tom Hanks wants ya in a series all the doors in Hollywood open up.

12 days ago
alastair
pro

Belated Happy Easter everyone!

I agree, Brit, he is mesmerizing as Cromwell. Great ensemble acting!

12 days ago
alastair
pro

Oh, before I forget, they began re-showing Lucy Worsley's Secret of the Six Wives here, after Wolf Hall. Never tire of her!

12 days ago

Hope you had a happy Easter, Alastair. I had a great day with my family.

Feel the same way about Lucy W. If you are on FB you have to follow her, shd has so much going on and is such an interesting person. I enjoy seeing and hearing all about her projects. She has such a good sense of humor about her work and her life. She does not take herself too seriously which is so endearing about her.

12 days ago
alastair
pro

Thanks!

Yes, same here. I love her approach and sense of humour. Thanks for the tip...will check it out..

11 days ago
alastair
pro

Wish I could be there to hear her presentation on Jane Austen at Home..

11 days ago

Unfortunately all tour dates for Jane Austen at Home are in the UK. I wish she would visit with us here on the other side of the pond.

11 days ago

Anyone see Rylance in Bridge of Spies? Those eyes! That performance. See it.

Deedee, I did last night. What a movie, so good, I might watch it again today. I am a Tom Hanks fan, if he is in something most often I am going to like it. This movie I hemmed and hawed over, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, I try to stay away from anything that is too violent. Cold war and espionage, it didn't sound like it was gong to be a walk in the park.

Should have known better. When Tom Hanks does a picture it is top-notch, he doesn't do anything for shock value, doesn't need to. Since I have become so enamored with Mark Rylance and you recommended it, I had to give it a try. Both Tom's and Rylance's performances are superb.

This is based on a true story. It is important to remember that there are people like James Donovan in this world, people with a moral compass that have a resolve to do right, even when everyone else is telling them not to. He is only human so I am sure he had he failings like the rest of us, but he was an exceptional person who stood by his principals and had an innate sense of logic that stood him well. He was always playing a chess game in his head, one move before his opponents, and he never let them see him break a sweat.

10 days ago

I don't think I could ever be as brave as that man, I hope I am never put to the test he was. To sum him up as a individual of huge worth is the last line in the epilogue that continues his story. It brought tears to my eyes. He never left anyone behind, he always did as much as we could and pushed to do more.

10 days ago
deedee713
guru

Wasn't it a good movie in total, with all excellent performances? And yes, the stats on what Donovan accomplished were so commendable.

10 days ago
deedee713
guru

What a shame. Just as I got totally besotted with the show.

https://twitter.com/CraigMcLachlan_/status/838996987148038144/photo/1

8 days ago

Deedee, I know you are sad to see the series go, but five years is a good run. I don't think CM remembers that Poirot had to fight to stay alive, the series was on hiatus for a number of years and there was a real question whether Suchet was ever coming back to finish the cannon. He wanted to do it, ITV was not sure whether they wanted to continue the investment.

I see this series more in the line of The Murdoch Mysteries than Poirot or Midsomer Murders. Murdoch is now in it's tenth season, which shows that there was some life still left in Dr. Blake as it does have a loyal following like Murdoch. TPTB could have let it continue on for a few more years, who knows why they decide to end it now.

7 days ago
deedee713
guru

Brit - Not PC enough, according to its lead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4401850/Craig-McLachlan-slams-ABC-axing-Dr-Blake-Mysteries.html

Unlike Vera the show, who threw every PC character under the sun into the show, and cleaned up Vera the character just as Fat Andy was sanitized. And the old grey mare ain't what she used to be.

7 days ago

I think TV has gone too far with the PC mandate. Not every show has to be multicultural, it fits for some and doesn't for others. We are all mature adults, we understand this. I find it insulting that TPTB do not give us, the audience, enough credit in regard to this.

I agree about Vera, you know it is a favorite of mine, but they went overboard and instead of making a mark, they made it trite because it became obvious what they were doing.

7 days ago
alastair
pro

Just learned the director Jonathan Demme has passed away. He didn't have a large body of work, but what he did was exceptional. I admired his philosophy of life and of film making..

4 days ago
alastair
pro

As you probably know, not a big fan of mysteries and crime stories, but I'm hooked on Agatha Raisin. I like the show's light heartedness, humour, and tongue- in- cheek approach. Fun to watch, with a good cast!

4 days ago

Alastair, I haven't seen Agatha Raisin as yet, but I heard good things from one of my Share TV friends. I enjoy the Penelope Keith audio books of the series, and have read a few of the books. I am all for a light approach these days, I still enjoy my more gritty crime stories, but I need the balance.

They offer the series on Acorn, which I don't have as yet. I do have Netflix now and I am loving it. Had the box upgraded for the upstairs TV, in doing so we spoke to the CS representative and she made some changes to the order of things on her side... viola, we now have an improved picture and both TV boxes are tied together, where before they seemed to be working independently - the order of how the boxes were listed made the difference. Now everything comes through the main box in the family room and both TV's are working exactly the same, I can access all my DVR shows from both. It has been great.

I like having the choice to switch from one show to the other as the mood hits me. I started re-watching Shetland as I saw the first two series via YT and the quality of the production uploaded was not steller. It has been a few years since I saw the stories, I don't remember everything so I am enjoying them all over again. After that, I can select something light to watch. The important thing is I have choices - stuff I am actually interested in viewing.

2 days ago

I've watched the first episode of The Crown and plan on continuing with that. We are thinking that when our current contract with Comcast is up we may get rid of the premium channels and instead add another streaming service. Right now Xfinity only has direct access to Netflix, but that may change. I wish they would add Acorn, as they have not been able to get there technology together beyond utilizing Roku. We have a little less than two years left on out contract so there is time. Working through Comcast makes it all so easy.

The other night I put on a Poirot late at night. I usually listen to an audio book, as my insomnia is kicking in and I am up to all hours these days. Since I have it available so easily now with Netflix, I thought it would be nice to watch my old friend. I picked a goody, Lord Edgware Dies.

This is one of the best, all the friends are together... Captain Hastings had come back to London as he had been swindled out of all his money on an investment deal that was shaky. Miss Lemon was setting up shop again (this is when Poirot came back from retirement) and Inspector Japp becomes involved in the murders. They were all older by now and working together like a well oiled machine. Poirot made dinner for everyone and it was such a pleasure to see them enjoy each others company.

2 days ago

The actress who plays Alison in Homefires has a bit part as a maid in Lord Edgware Dies.

We are on the final episode of that series and I can't say I am happy that the ending will leave us so much up in the air. I did read the series writers comments regarding what he was planning for a continuation of some of the characters lives. I won't go into it here, he kept it short as he has some hope it may get picked-up by another TV station. I know that the books are being developed, but they would be quickly put aside if the series was picked up again. You never know, it could happen.

And Cromwell... I think he is getting on very shaky ground. It is almost like I can feel the beginning of the end has come. Things are going to start to get murkier and he is right in the middle of it all.

2 days ago
soler
pro

Brit ... still watching Shetland ( on the second season now ) but I've just acquired The Crown and watched 5 or 10 minutes of it to check the quality as I get this on a flash drive. It will be the next on my viewing list . Have also received the first 2 eps. of Season 4 of Last Tango in Hlfx. These 2 eps. are called the Christmas Special of 2016 , hope there filming the rest of Season 4 now. Seems funny they would mark these two eps. as Season 4 but there ya have it. These eps. have the BIG changes in the fortunes of a few of the characters so looking forward to this. Might fit this in after Shetland and before I view The Crown . Don't like interrupting a series to view something else even if it is only a couple of eps. Makes it feel too scattered to have to pick something else back up again.

2 days ago
alastair
pro

Brit, I tuned into Homefires the other night - you said you were enjoying the series. I don't know the backstory, but it looked well done! Good to see the one couple getting together (finally kissing at the end). Sorry to learn the program isn't being renewed for future episodes after this season..

2 days ago

Soler, still no date yet when we are going to see Last Tango in Halifax Christmas Special on PBS... Christmas time I presume. :) I have not found any other info regarding further episodes after that. It seems that Sally Wainwright is so busy these days, she doesn't know when she will have the time to continue the series.

I have read that the series will most likely continue Gillian's story of her past with her husband and her involvement in his death. I still don't know why we are going down that road. I wish they would move on from it now and let it be. So what happens when Robbie finds out, the marriage explodes and back we are at square one? Enough already. If this does happen, let me know so I can brace myself or I may throw something at the TV. The series I love to hate. I look forward to it, I watch it and I complain the whole time!!

I watched the second episode of The Crown last night. Stronger episode than the first, it is very well done.

1 day ago

Alastair, you are such a romantic! Unfortunately that romance is ripe with problems. It didn't look it from the episode you saw, but there is a lot of backstory with both characters. Those two getting together is a surprising turn of events to say the least.

I think you would enjoy Homefires, but I am not sure. It does have it's dark moments which are quite uncomfortable to watch. Pat is a lovely woman who is badly treated by her husband. The writers tried to make the storylines realistic, this is not a sugar coated story. What is so compelling about the series is the strength of the female characters. These women had to be strong and they are the backbone of the village. In terms of the quality of the production, it is top notch.

1 day ago

Alastair, did you see the FB photo of Lucy Worsley in Venice on the gondola? If you haven't, go look at it on her page. When it came up in my FB feed I burst out in a huge smile. You gotta love that woman, she is something else.

1 day ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.