TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
pro
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

3 years ago
Comments

"Just wanted to say a word about Victoria once again. I think the problem was most of the characters were either unlikable or not very engaging at first, but once you get to know them, the story draws you in (even Mr. Penge and Francatelli).."

I agree with you Alastair. It did take a few episodes before any of the supporting cast grew on me... to be honest, about halfway through. With the exception of Lord M., I think we all loved him right from the beginning. Have to say Penge was getting on my last nerve in the finale episode and Albert was not far behind him, although I do understood his motivation.
You really can't say Albert was a fun person. He never let his guard down and always was so serious. Victoria was the lighter of the two, she liked to have a good time.
My goodness, the stress level of Victoria was palatable, you could feel it through the screen. The stress she was under alone could have caused complications with her pregnancy.
I need to watch the finale again, I feel like I didn't take it all in.

3 weeks ago

I should add though, in speaking of Victoria and Albert, it is so nice to see them so much in love. Such a rare thing for a monarch and her/his spouse where marriage was a duty and true feelings for each other was not typically a consideration. They were a true love story and it is well played in the series. Albert could be a sour-puss at times, but I don't think Victoria ever saw him that way. That's love!

3 weeks ago
alastair
pro

Brit, I have to admit after all the build up for the finale, it wasn't my favorite episode - actually I couldn't wait for it to end. Perhaps it was high expectations, but for me it was just too dark and depressing. Had it's moments (liked how the situation was resolved between Ernest and the Duchess), but not so much for Francatelli and Skerrit. Will she finally decide to leave to be with him or is it unrequited? What was she going to tell him at the end? Also, too much bickering downstairs especially between Penge and Mrs. Jenkins. Like you, will watch the repeat because there was a lot to take in..

3 weeks ago
alastair
pro

Did you have a chance to watch the Victoria Party afterwards? Good to see Daisy Goodwin and Rufus Sewell...also, the costume designer! However, in this case it ended far too soon in order to make room for the obligatory pledge breaks. Urgh!!

3 weeks ago

Turner Classic Movie host Robert Osborne has pased on. I did not watch as much TCM as many of you, but I always enjoyed him when he hosted. He was TCM to me. Most times listening to him was better than the movie. RIP Mr. Osborne.

3 weeks ago

Alastair, you hit the nail on its' head... that was what was bothering me about the "Victoria" finale, it was far too dark. Too much bickering and the life outcomes for everyone, except of course for the birth, were gloomy. Everyone was on edge. Not a single soul outside of Victoria and Albert were happy with their lot in life as we ended the episode. Even Victoria's nanny/housekeeper had come to realize she was being pushed aside.

3 weeks ago

It's here!

www.britbox.com/

Somewhat limited, but some interesting series that we haven't seen.

3 weeks ago

Let me try that again...

https://www.britbox.com

3 weeks ago
alastair
pro

Brit, I've been dreading the day the news would come about our beloved Robert Osborne. He was one of a kind and will be greatly missed! RIP

2 weeks ago
alastair
pro

I'm so glad you agreed about the finale to Victoria...that I wasn't just imagining my reaction to it. They are showing the repeat tomorrow evening for us, so will tune in and give it another chance. I hope this isn't a taste of things to come next season. Look what they eventually did to Doc Martin - we don't need darker, with more conflict!

Thanks for the link, Brit. Good to see some of my old favorites represented as well, including Upstairs Downstairs and Fawlty Towers - even saw P&P in there..

2 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Interesting, Brit. It would be nice if Acorn bought them out and kept the same price.

I know you (all?) don't get the Doctor Blake Mysteries, but here they are on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrlSc8gCDlyubHGmfjYP4HKpR9xoqEfAC

And, here's a really cute interview with Craig McLachlan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbRgSSXoSkg

2 weeks ago
soler
pro

I can watch on my tablet and I may have to jump in. Soler, I understand the new "Midsomer Murders" will be available on Acorn soon and I am anxious to see our Jason Hughes. And... I have still not seen "Boomers". If I wait any longer for them to get "up to snuff" we will be in the next century.
Playing catch up , Brit ........ I think new release ( Series 19 , I think ) of Midsomer will be released by Amazon in late April . Gives me something to look forward to . Seeing Jones will be good and a chance to check out the new guy . Wonder how long he'll be around ?
Boomers Brit . Great little show . If ya love Smokey , you'll love the opening theme. I find it comfortable ( guess it's age bonding with the characters lol ) .... Inspector Jap is in it . Only two seasons , don't know if there will be any more.

2 weeks ago

Lots to get caught up on...

Alastair, a few posts back you had mentioned the PBS pledge drive that was done as part of the Victoria after-show. As much as I understand why PBS has to canvas for money, it has become non- stop and intrusive to the extent that it spoils the viewing experience.

Victoria and Downton are money makers - I get that, PBS is going to use these vehicles to maximize their funding potential as much as possible...but there is a point where you cross the line and you annoy the very people you hope will support you.

The Victoria after-show is a good example. I did not enjoy it half as much as I would have if they had not begged for money at every turn. To be honest, I tuned it out after a short while. It was a bad choice to use for this purpose, and if they felt they had to, do it at the beginning or end of the piece, then drop it and let the viewer watch uninterrupted.

I have not re-watched "Victoria" as yet, I just don't feel all that motivated.

2 weeks ago

Deedee, thanks for the link to the Doctor Blake Mysteries. If you hadn't posted it I would never have thought to look on The 'Tube. I have already watched two episodes. I watched the first on my tablet, liked it enough to want to see more, and was able to watch the second on my TV through the Chromecast. I wish Acorn TV would move themselves and get their act together on this. Such a great feature.

I was afraid it would be too gory or dark, but it is not. Different enough to make it interesting without hitting you over the head with unnecessary violence. I like Australian productions... there was that one private eye series that was shown on Hulu awhile back, I can't remember its' name, but I really enjoyed it. There was two seasons I think, I wonder if they have done anymore. I need to do some research.

I like the new Britbox streaming service being offered, but I think I will stick with Acorn. Britbox does not have Chromecast capability either at this point, so I won't be gaining anything and Acorn has more of what I am interested in.

Is anyone going to watch "The Bronte Sisters" story? I saw the preview where they talk about how realistic it is for the times...my sense is that it will be gritty and depressing as life was just that for most during that time. I will admit, I prefer the rose-colored version of things when I am looking to be entertained. If I am watching a documentary to be informed, well, that is completely another matter. I am going to pass on this one.

2 weeks ago

Endeavour is on the way coming to our TV's this summer and another season has been commissioned. I have not read the spoilers, but there was a lot of discussion of this past season from the Brit crowd that has seen it... something big happened, but I know not what.

I am happy that Masterpiece Mystery will survive yet another year.

http://tellyspotting.kera.org/2017/02/01/inspector-morse-prequel-endeavour-signs-on-for-longer-5th-series/

2 weeks ago
alastair
pro

Brit, you hit it on the head! The after-show party went too far this time with their pledge requests - it did indeed spoil the experience. Whatever happened to the good ol' days (long ago) when you saw one short pledge break before and one after a show. As you say, these popular series are money makers - but why stoop to this tactic when it's not necessary? Many viewers will just wait for the DVD..

BTW, my impression remains the same upon second viewing..

2 weeks ago
alastair
pro

Alert - I forgot to mention that the DVD/Blu-ray has cut some scenes that were in the original broadcast. They don't miss a trick!

2 weeks ago

The Victoria DVD was cut, Alastair? Why the heck would they do that? What purpose does that serve. Did they cut scenes in the version we saw on PBS and then issued that as the Region One (US) DVD?

2 weeks ago
alastair
pro

I'm not sure other than to keep viewers tuned into the broadcast, perhaps. Some customers at Amazon were complaining about this. The series length is allegedly shorter on the discs. One person sited the brothel scene was cut, along with the slapping incident between Albert's valet and the butler. For me, both were not necessarily important to the plot, but did add an element of humour to the story..

2 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Glad you liked Dr. Blake, Brit. It's nice to see so many seasons on You Tube, at least I can stay with the show while PBS decides to buy the rest or not.

Re Endeavour, did we get Series 3?

2 weeks ago

Yes, we did. Season four is coming up. I was surprised to find that PBS has access to the episodes of Endeavour on their site to watch on-line.

2 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Whoa. Okay, thanks, I guess I passed on the Prey episode because it featured an animal murder. I honestly don't remember 'Coda' and would have watched it. I guess I'll have to catch up online since PBS is too involved in begging for money to replay the episodes.

I can't find the opinions on D/S. Odd.

Thanks, Brit.

2 weeks ago

Soler, I don't know if you are aware of this British movie... I know you enjoyed Indian Summers, so this might be of interest. It was just released in the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viceroy's_House_(film)

https://youtu.be/id_ZyNdvXKQ

12 days ago

Deedee, the finale episode of Season 5 of "Death in Paradise" was aired and I missed it. I had to hunt it down on the 'Tube to watch. Glad I did, because it was a good one. NJTV will reairing the series starting with Season One this week. I am hoping we will get Series Six when it becomes available here.

12 days ago
deedee713
guru

You have to pay to watch DIP? Odd.

I saw the very first one, on NJTV I assume. Strange how Camille came into the show.

12 days ago

No, I watch on NJTV. I missed it the week the Season 5 finale was on and forgot to DVR. I found it at no cost on You Tube and streamed it to my TV.

12 days ago
soler
pro

Thanks for the heads up Brit . Did not know of this movie but will now be looking for it. Do enjoy these kind of movies. Hugh Bonneville playing Mountbatten , nooooot sure how this is gonna fly . Lord Mountbatten had that insufferable aristocratic superiority air about him that I always found off putting. Me thinks Bonneville may be a little to nice to play that character but it will be a fun watch. Michael Gambon is also in it so that will be good. There is also a series I hope to acquire soon , ' The Crown ' . This series has Season 1 completed and has been shown in the U.K. last fall. It is about the early years of Queen Elizabeth's reign ( early 1950's ) . As I am a Churchill fan , always interested when he is portrayed in a movie or series . In this one it's John Lithgow along with Harriet Walter as Clementine. Claire Foy plays a young Elizabeth but I am not familiar with her.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4786824/

11 days ago

Soler, Claire Fox was the troubled sister, Persie, in the recent version of "Upstairs Downstairs".

I am watching a new series on channel FX - "Feud" about the rivalry between Joan Crawford and Better Davis while making "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane". I have seen the first two episodes. Missed it the first time they aired, but I was able to DVR the repeats. The series stars Jessica Lange as Joan and Susan Sarandon as Bette. Now, I have never seen this movie and don't have any plans to do so, as it is not my thing at all. I am not a Better Davis fan by any means and the only thing I think of regarding Joan Crawford is wire hangers. Both, to me, were wretched woman who were given way to much latitude in life because of their talent and celebrity. I just call it as I see it.

The Hollywood world of the fifties intrigues me and since I know little about their feud and always like a good gossip, I gave it a whirl. I am enjoying it. The odd American accents took some getting used to, since I rarely watch American TV, my ear is tuned for a British voice - our own voices seem so flat in comparison. I can't be too negative as I sound the same way!

11 days ago

I am even watching the commercials as they show adverts for other current series on the station. Since I am not up with current shows, this has been enlightening. They all seem to have an apocalypse feel to them... there is even a TV version of "Fargo". Made me think I would like to see that movie again, so I am going to see if it is available "On Demand".

I plan to finish the series, I an invested now in seeing the feud to the end. It is good to step out of the box every so often.

Soler, I forgot to add, I've heard of "The Crown", don't know where it is available here in the States, but I will check it out.

11 days ago

Pour Bette, autocorrect struck a few times with her name in my comments above. My apologies!

11 days ago
soler
pro

WOW BRIT .... THIS HAS HAPPEDED BEFORE. ( eerie coincidence ) I just watched 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane ' less that a week ago . It was on TCM and I DVR'd it . The guy that replaced Robert Osborne mentioned the feud. He said Davis was nominated for best actress and Crawford did not get an nomination . But Crawford managed to one up Davis by accepting the award for Ann Bancroft ( who could not attend ) who did win. lol These two were always at it . Would love to see Feud , will check out FX . Bette Davis was a scrapper in Hollywood during the 30's 40's @ 50's when it was a male dominated world. She fought with everybody . actors , writers , studio bosses . A lot of this I admire her for but not all. She made a movie in 1986 with Lillian Gish called ' The Whales of August ' love this movie , have it on DVD . View it every once and awhile. Two elderly sisters on their yearly summer trip to the sea side cottage in Maine their parents bought many years ago. I thought what a lovely way for these two actress at the end of their carriers and lives to finish out. I read an article on the making of this movie and it turned me a little cold on Davis. She was miserable towards Lillian Gish through the length of the location work. She wanted Gish and everybody else to know that she was the star of this picture and nobody was going to share top billing with her . I thought , you old bat , can't give it a rest and share something with poor Lillian Gish at this late stage in your life . She died a few years latter. Fiesty and scrappy till the end.

11 days ago

Been home nursing a bad head cold, headache is somewhat relieved, so I wanted to stop by for a minute and reply, Soler. It has happened before to us, several times, in fact. I have always felt there is a small current of electricity that runs from New Jersey to Halifax, my friend. We have this spark that keeps us on the same wavelength 'cause I have to say that this is an eerie coincidence... for me to be watching something so far outside my norm and then to post about it. All the while you are watching the movie that this is all based on, one from the distant past. Yep, makes you raise an eyebrow.

I found "The Wales of August" on the 'Tube, I plan to watch when my head is feeling a little better.

9 days ago

I want to mention that the actor Tony Haygarth recently passed away. You may not know him by name, but he has guest starred in so many of our favorite series that you will recognize him. He was in "Midsomer Murders" three times, and that is quite rare. His resume reads like a Who's Who of British acting. He was among the best.

I have had a soft spot for him since I saw him in "Farrington of the F. O." (a retro British comedy) with my two favorite leading ladies, Angela Thorne and Joan Sims. It was a silly part, comedic and somewhat slapstick, but he was endearing in it. He was so talented, that he could make any role a standout.

He will be greatly missed by me. RIP Mr. Haygarth.

http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/93082-haygarth/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0371304/

9 days ago

I gave the link through the IMDB app... there is a link to the IMDB full site further on down the page. If you can't access it from your computer you will need to go directly to the IMDB site.

9 days ago

I have very sad news to announce, Colin Dexter has passed away. For all of us that love "Morse", this is an end to an era.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39342698

4 days ago
deedee713
guru

That is sad. So true:

John was the character and the character was John.

I hope his widow doesn't get greedy beyond the already mediocre Endeavour:

4 days ago

Laurence Fox speaking about Colin Dexter...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04xmq5w

3 days ago

Sorry, that was not the complete link, hopefully this will work.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4346262/Patricia-Routledge-Dame-Buckingham-Palace.html

13 hours ago
deedee713
guru

Very nice, congratulations to Dame Patricia.

Odd, no mention of Hetty Wainthropp.

4 hours ago
soler
pro

Hyacinth Bucket would approve!

She most certainly would , Brit ....... but would not be satisfied with just PrInce Charles .. oooh no , she would be scheming to get into the Queen's quarters to have tea ... and have a conveniently placed photographer behind the drapes. Poor Richard would be run off his feet being dragged into this scheme in some way. What a great show that was . Love the Mail Online , read it all the time.

32 minutes ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.