TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
pro
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

4 years ago
Comments
alastair
expert

Dee Dee, the good news is the series gets even better as time goes on, esp. S2. I like seeing George grow and learning from his mistakes. Also, he remains loyal to the memory of his late wife..

9 days ago
alastair
expert

Did anyone have a chance to view the new season of Victoria last night. Of course, last season was a hard act to follow - still good, but for me it didn't draw me in like before...much like the finale. The look is still gorgeous, and the music score just as beautiful as ever. Didn't think the script quite hit it's mark this time, but still interesting to watch.
Oh, wasn't impressed with Diana Rigg's character at all. Her one liners fell flat, IMO, unlike Maggie Smith in Downton, or Eileen Atkins in The Doc. To be fair, will see the 2 hour repeat - sometimes impressions can improve the second time around..

4 days ago

Alastair, I thought it was magnifique! I was entranced the entire episode. I agree about Diana Rigg's character, utter disappointment. Nothing akin to Maggie Smith or Eileen Atkin's portrayals, to be honest, her performance is the least striking of the series... milk toast, she added nothing.

For me, I am beyond delighted with the amount of screen time Peter Bowles had in the two episodes. I do not get a chance to see him offen at this stage of his career, so for him to be highlighted in a role such as the Duke of Wellington is a true delight. It is so wonderful that series such as Victoria give more seasoned actors a vehicle to be seen (again) on the screen. Peter Bowles will be 82 years old this year, so any opportunity I get to see him is a gift to me. He was (and is) known for being a dandy on screen, the man was always impeccably dressed for his roles - the formal black outfit he was wearing during his walk with Victoria brought a smile to my face, it was like an ode to all the roles that came before.

I am looking forward to next week and hopefully more Rufus Sewell who shines in this production. Unfortunately, I fear that this may be the last we see of him as Victoria and he are under considerable pressure to curtail their friendship.

4 days ago
soler
pro

Well now , nice flow , this one had for the whole 2 hours . Beautifully filmed . Kinda makes ya wonder what it would be like to live in this era . Let me see , no smog ,no traffic jams no threat of nuclear war on the down side health care was to say was at least strange . Lord M .. how are those leach treatments going ? lol Although I found this ep. enjoyable .. I'm looking for more. I think I'm comparing this show with Downton . I'm looking for story lines involving the down stairs ' family ' Maybe I shouldn't do this with this show. There's no one down stairs that I like and few upstairs. . Penge is not much more elevated than a street thug. Diana Rigg's character is not likeable at all. Who is that one who is the liaison between the Queen and the help. Nothing likeable about her , bland character. Intrigue with the upstairs bunch is good and I bet the same goes on today. Still have this in my DVR and will watch again before end of week.

4 days ago
alastair
expert

It appears Mrs. Jenkins is gone - never liked how she treated Skerret, who now has a promotion. Not sure where the relationship with the pastry chef (who was asked to return) is headed, tho..

I did watch the season one marathon prior to the premier once again (which I still prefer). The script is interesting...there's a scene where Ernest says to Brodie, "An Englishman wanting to learn German? Wonders never cease!" I'm sure they wouldn't use that expression in the mid 1800s. I remember Alistair Cooke commenting once on the use of modern expressions in I, Claudius. That was no accident either..

3 days ago
alastair
expert

Brit, looking forward to watching the repeat tomorrow night!

Soler, yes it would be nice to live during that era. The pace was so much slower and manageable. However, I guess there were trade offs. Childbirth, for one, was a risky business..

3 days ago
soler
pro

' Wonders never cease ' .. lol .. I missed that Alastair . You're right , it doesn't fit. Will be watching for more of these , now. Yeah , Skerrett is a downstairs person who is likeable. Forgot about her. That bland stone faced one is the Baroness Lehzen . Nothing to like there. Not even all that warm towards Albert . Skerrett's new assistant may prove to be likeable. Now, is that what the first calculator looked like , interesting to see what other inventions will pop up from Lord Byron's daughter. At least Albert has an eye towards the future in his attitude so that can't be bad. Lets see what a second view will uncover .

3 days ago
alastair
expert

Yes, there was a lot going on in the opening episode - even a young intruder who seemed to slip underneith everyone's radar..

The thing about modern expressions, the author even used slang in Claudius, which would have stood out even more so..

3 days ago

I caught that Alastair, the "wonders never cease". The tongue in cheek comment may not have fit in with the period, but the message was loud and clear and that I think that was what was intended (rather than accuracy) as the British harbor no great love for the country and take every chance they get to make the point. I saw it as a little, but very direct, dig.

Soler, unlike "Downton", "Victoria" doesn't seem to want to make the downstairs characters the heart of the production. There are no endearing characters such as Mrs. Patmore and Mrs. Hughes. In "Downton", the downstairs characters were a family unto themselves with complex storylines. The characters in Victoria are mostly unlikable. As you say, Penge is little more than a street thug, I can not stand his character. Skerret is likable, as is Brodie and the chef, Mr. Francatelli, but none have that lovable quality that stays with you. They are all written as cold and stern.

One of my favorite characters - I am so glad to see him back - is Albert's brother, Prince Ernest. The brothers are so different, the characters are written to play off each other so beautifully. The fact, as was stated in S1, that they only had each other to rely on when they were growing-up is very much evident in their relationship which is grounded in love, trust and respect.

3 days ago

I watched SundanceNow's new series Riviera last night. I wasn't sure I would be interested , I was going to pass on it, and then I said (to myself) give it a go and I am glad I did. They said the main star of the series is the Cote d' Azur and this is absolutely true, much to my surprise. I really didn't think we would get to see so much of the area as is shown. I knew just about every place they filmed.

I drove on those roads and have visited/know the locations. At one point. they were showing two characters having lunch on an outdoor patio overlooking the beach, I recognized it and said (again to myself), can that be ... then I saw the blue chairs and I knew. That was filmed at the Belles Rive in Juan Les Pins, those are their chairs. It actually amazes me that I was so familiar with it all. I have not spent a huge amount of time there, but I have soaked it up when visiting and I do a lot of research (of the area) so it has become as familiar to me as NJ/NY is.

This production gives a glimpse in to my life when I am there. I lead a small, very quiet life here at home and I am no means wealthy, but my life when visiting the Cote d' Azue is much more glamorous and heady. Obviously, I am on vacation so that is part of it, the other part is that the beauty and lifestyle of the area brings this out. I take on a different persona when I am there and it comes naturally.

The story is about the art world and the underbelly of this world and the Cote d' Azur itself. I have no illusions as to this, this is a place where people of great wealth live and play, let's be honest the amount of money that is there does not all come from all legitimate sources. If a person needs to hide or launder their money this is where you go. Much of the Riviera property is owned by people other than the French. Russians were some of the biggest land owners on the Cote d' Azur, although, thankfully, that has changed as there was a downturn in Russia's finances a few years ago and some had to sell their properties. There is still a large amount of Russians who visit and I sound like a French person in saying how unpleasant and obnoxious these people can be. I know the French don't have a high regard for most Americans, but when it comes to downright rude and demanding - they take the cake.

We were more worried that Russian tourists would spoil our wedding ceremony at Le Nomade than anything else. Thank goodness this did not happen, but no one would have been shocked if it did. We had about fifty people who watched the ceremony and they all acted as if they were invited guests. It was quite extraordinary and lovely. We were truly blessed that day.

2 days ago

I want to make a recommendation of a new series on PBS "We'll Meet Again" hosted by Ann Curry. I got a chance to have some input on this one before airing. I was given an opportunity to watch an episode and give my opinion of the premise of the series, how the story was presented and the host. I think it is a wonderfully touching series and like to think my comments and support for the series (of course among others) is why it is being made a highlight of PBS's new productions for this year. This is a positive, uplifting series, it is a strong reminder of the goodness and decency we as humans and citizens of this world possess.

2 days ago
soler
pro

You're right Brit .. I have to stop ' Downtonizing ' Victoria .. completely different style show . this is a story of the life of Queen Victoria and to have some downstairs kitchen squabble would trivialize and detract from the Queen's day to day life. Do not know the history of this Queen and only hope this production follows closely her life. Gonna watch and DVR this show , Brit .. always liked Ann Curry . Not a fan of Lauer and became even less when I found out these two hated each other. Just found out Ann is approaching 60 . Would never have guessed.

2 days ago

Soler, Ann is spot on as the host. She is a good journalist, has much credibility and has the ability to connect with the storytellers, who are clearly sharing deeply life impacting times/relationships in their lives.

Lauer and his cohosts treated her very shabbily. I always thought Lauer was a pompous a** and we have come to find out that he is this and much worst.

I have getting caught up on S7 of my favorite Vera. She is still on top for me. The season so far is a strong one. I have watched the first three episodes, one more to go. The first two were excellent, the third was too drawn out and the characters somewhat annoying... they needed to tighten the storyline and looked further for an actor to play the young lead. Poor choice. This is not usually the case with this series.

Still, even at that, one of the best series on the telly. Helen the computer wiz is gone after the first episode and I am glad of it. I found her annoying, she always seemed to be full of herself and Vera pandered to her. She would pop her head up, throw out some stat to the group and Vera would always praise her like she made some break through relevation. Never a bit of praise from Vera for anyone else no matter how hard they worked. It was obvious what TPTB were trying to do and when you make it that noticable it is more a turn-off than anything else. There was nothing organic about how she fit in with the team.

Kenny is getting more air time and the team is solid as is. They are all participating in the investigations and DC Edwards is handling the computer end of things quite capably. I have come to really like Aiden, Vera's sidekick. The team is working like a well oiled machine, as it should, and I hope there are no changes to the cast moving forward.

1 day ago

Rufus Sewell on Melbourne, I found this interesting...

https://www.facebook.com/masterpiecepbs/videos/10155538728106234/

10 hours ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.