TV Forum

TV Forum » General Discussion » ShareTV goes Mobile! [Admin]
itcdr
Administrator
ShareTV goes Mobile! [Admin]

I've been working on a mobile version of ShareTV. Often I'll be out or watching TV and want to quickly look up some show but found it's become difficult on my phone as we have slowly expanded ShareTV to work better with large monitors.

We currently average around 3,000 visitors per day from smart phones but the number of pages viewed per person is far lower than the average so I think everyone else has my same problem.

So jump on your smart phone and take a look:

http://m.sharetv.org/

currently you can view today's listings, look up basic show info and login to view your upcoming and recently aired episodes. I would like to expand it more. Let me know which features you think are most important to add as with the limited view we're obviously not going to add all content from ShareTV to the mobile version.

2 years ago
Comments
designgears
regular

I think a mobile app would be better.

Email me, I'll make one :P

2 years ago
apollo4090
regular

i agree, an iOS and android app would be the best, i currently use TV Forecaster (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/tv-forecast-your-personal/id290859724?mt=8) and it works great but on my computer i use and love sharetv. i know making an app can be expensive, but i would gladly pay for a good TV app that has a great web interface such as this site.

2 years ago
carstereos
expert

awesome

2 years ago
deolveira78
regular

Sweeeet trying it out!

2 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

Once the mobile website is complete with all functionality I can adapt it to an iPhone app although would be pretty similar

2 years ago
mattdillon
expert

I agree on an app (except I want an Android app!). Also, it looks like every time I log on too ShareTV from one computer (or my phone) and sign on there, I get signed out on the other computers. That means that if I use it on my phone, then on my computer, I have to sign on again when I go back to the phone (or vice versa).

Is there a way to change that so that it will keep me signed on on multiple devices?

2 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

@mattdilon that shouldn't be happening. I'm currently logged-in on both my desktop and mobile phone without a problem. Have you tried clicking the "Remember Me" box when logging in on your desktop?

2 years ago
apollo4090
regular

so in using the mobile version there is a few things id ask, one is on an iPhone when you click "add to homescreen" instead of it being a screenshot of the site it would be nice if it showed the shareTV logo ex. theverge.com

also it seems very limited, you cant look very far back onto episodes that have already aired, being able to click on something to reveal older aired episodes would be nice.

i understand that an iPhone app would be similar but one distinct advantage to a native app is notifications, so that you can be notified of when your show will air, the best example of this is the app i previously mentioned above.

again i know making an app can be expensive but i for one as im sure many others who use this awesome site would gladly donate money for you to make a mobile application as mobile is really where its at now a days.

thanks for reading and keep up the good work!

2 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

UPDATE: You can now rate episodes on the mobile website. And on your profile you'll see which of your recently aired episodes you've watched or not expanded to the last 15 aired rather than only 7 episodes. Should make it easier to use your phone to track what episodes you've missed.

@apollo4090, that's a good point with the notifications. The app could be setup to notify the user if they have new episodes airing that night. And good note on the icon for adding to the home screen. I just added one so will now look like an app on the iPhone when you click "Add to Home Screen". No worries on the cost. If I move forward with the app I'll just program it myself.

2 years ago
joel1067
pro

My tablet automatically switched to the mobile interface when I tapped on my sharetv bookmark. I found I was able to rate the shows I had just watched a whole lot faster on the tablet with the mobile site vs the regular site. Great idea!

2 years ago
bllinnk
guru

Hey,
I think the mobile site is a good first step and it makes sense as it can be viewed on any smart phone. I think you have done great work so I don't want to criticise what you have done.

One thing I would like to see with future updates would be that the site act as a web app on iOS. I don't know the exact details of how this is done but Apple leads me to believe it is only a few lines of code. The advantage of this is that the web app acts very similar to a native app with a separate process to safari and appear in the fast switch bar. An example of this that many will know is the kindle could reader (https://read.amazon.com/) which once added to home screen acts like this.
As far as I know the only limitation is the amount of data that can be stored locally.

Keep up the great work

2 years ago
mattdillon
expert

@itcdr I use sharetv on 2 different PCs and now on my phone. I've always had the problem that if I sign on one device, I get logged out of the other ones. This is especially a problem when I have to log in every time I go to the website on my phone. If that's not the way it's supposed to work, I wonder why that's happening to me?

2 years ago

That is so cool.

2 years ago
jessatvh0d

thats great...you can watch online tv anywhere...

2 years ago
renabi

Lauren Elkaabi Newbie!!!

My name is Lauren Elkaabi.. I am new here and Glad to be a
part of the community. I just wanted to say thanks for your sharing to everyone in here either sharing or viewing. This is an amazing site. Looking forward to be of help.

Best regard,

Lauren Elkaabi

2 years ago
amaniu

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

2 years ago
deki
expert

very nice

2 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

I'm back to work on the mobile site. This week the following new features have been added:

- movie and celeb info pages
- tabs to view top shows airing, movies now playing and most popular actors
- ability to add any movie, show or celeb to your favorites

mobile pageviews have increased dramatically this week since adding the changes so seems people are liking the changes. take a look and let me know what you think. An iOS/android app are still in the plans but I want to get the mobile site perfected first as the phone apps will just be a mirror of the web app.

http://m.sharetv.org/

2 years ago
mattdillon
expert

Looks great! This website is a gem! I use it every day.

2 years ago
luscombag
regular

I've looked and found this thread and couldn't find anywhere else mentioning a smartphone app. Is it still in the works? I would love one and an android app with a widget notifying me when new episodes of my shows are coming up would be awesome.

1 year ago
eris1031
guru

Hi, I just wanted to say that I love the mobile site and I use it all the time. I, also, wanted to ask whether or not you were planning to make an app for it.

5 months ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.